Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What's the best song you have heard today? Share it here.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I've spent some of the day being entertained by the genius of the Mael brothers. Their new album is just superb, and often their biting but wistful approach can have me laughing out loud and wanting to blub almost concurrently. Long may Sparks give us a little light.

Ah, a fellow Sparks fan - seeing them do 'This Town Ain't Big Enough...' on TOTP in 1974, I thought "Brilliantly bonkers, but a one-hit wonder novelty record". I'm sure most people watching thought the same.

Yet 50 years later, they're still producing fantastically quirky and lyrically-brilliant songs; their relatively recent 'Hippopotamus' album (about 6 years ago) is one of their best; not a duff track on it, and the track 'Missionary Position' is genius.

Off the new album, these two are my two faves:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
A band who are renowned for their brilliantly satirical lyrics, wry social observations, and piss-takes of celebrities and ex-footballers, but who can also write some real lump-to-the-throat songs too. This one is about caring for a partner with Alzheimer's - but the end reverts to a rousing anthemic reference to the Welsh football team 'Airbus'!

A song that could make you cry and laugh almost simultaneously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I doubt any of you will feel that this is anywhere close to the best song you’ll hear today, but I doubt I’ll hear a better one today. Great memories of this song and the times for me though.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I've looked back over my posts on this thread and can't believe I have never posted this Genesis classic from their 'Selling England By The pound' album.
A complete masterpiece and It's hard to single out individuals as they are all magnificent on it, It's long (9:35) but well worth it IMHO.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I've looked back over my posts on this thread and can't believe I have never posted this Genesis classic from their 'Selling England By The pound' album.
A complete masterpiece and It's hard to single out individuals as they are all magnificent on it, It's long (9:35) but well worth it IMHO.

Brilliant album :thumbsup:

All time classic

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Brilliant album :thumbsup:

All time classic
And in a complete Michael Caine moment, I've only just noticed that the Lawnmower depicted on the album cover artwork is the same one my Dad had back in the 60's, it was a Qualcast in the same blue & red colours....................................."Not a lot of people know that"!
:lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
And in a complete Michael Caine moment, I've only just noticed that the Lawnmower depicted on the album cover artwork is the same one my Dad had back in the 60's, it was a Qualcast in the same blue & red colours....................................."Not a lot of people know that"!
:lolol:
Almost as odd as Peter Gabriel’s lyrics in I know what I like in your wardrobe :smile:

One of my favourite songs but I haven’t really got a clue what he’s on about, but the lyrics work, almost Dylanesque.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I just love this, everyone having fun and putting a smile on my face

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry, need to change that. This is....so much nicer.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here