Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you self isolate

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
If you were employed and woke up feeling a bit ropey. Would you take the hit and live on 90 quid a week for two weeks or just not mention it? Asking people to be responsible is all very well, but most can’t afford to.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
In Singapore, some expats have lost their work passes and been thrown out of the country for ignoring instructions to self isolate. They also test temperature before admitting a person to a building. Unsurprisingly they are coping very well with containing the spread of the virus.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
It is my preferred state to be honest. Unfortunately it is my first day back in work tonight after a month off so I've got to interact with the real world again and I'm not particularly looking forward to it.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
In Canada, having returned from the UK yesterday, we have been asked to self isolate.

For me this is two weeks of not earning. My girlfriend has reduced earning. It's going to be tough to make rent and bills.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
In Canada, having returned from the UK yesterday, we have been asked to self isolate.

For me this is two weeks of not earning. My girlfriend has reduced earning. It's going to be tough to make rent and bills.

I'm due to fly to Canada, early May for two weeks hols. Would that mean it would be two weeks self isolation for us or have you a particular scenario to self isolate?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Depends how ropey. It’s difficult because I totally get that a lot of people can’t afford to but that the same time by not, you are potentially spreading a dangerous virus to vulnerable people who may not be able to handle it as well as you. Ideal solution is work from home if you can.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If we get ill we can and will self isolate (to protect the old and frail neighbours). Luckily all teaching has been suspended (I work at a uni in London) and there will be no financial consequences..

I feel very sorry for those who can't self isolate owing to finances or circumstances. But few are forced to go to work when ill, surely? What company would insist on that?

Self isolation when not ill doesn't make sense to me unless you are in a high vulnerability group (with a view to protecting youself), and if so it is unlikely you are full time employed. Such people should be helped by government immediately, though.

Fit people who decide to go to work even though they know they are ill, and infect people leading to the death of the vulnerable could be charged with culpable homice, though, surely?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If you were employed and woke up feeling a bit ropey. Would you take the hit and live on 90 quid a week for two weeks or just not mention it? Asking people to be responsible is all very well, but most can’t afford to.

Yes, it will be harder but dare I say that for 2 weeks, most probably could afford to, but prefer to say they can't.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Luckily all teaching has been suspended (I work at a uni in London) and there will be no financial consequences..
Is your uni not going to continue with teaching and learning activity online?

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
I feel very sorry for those who can't self isolate owing to finances or circumstances. But few are forced to go to work when ill, surely? What company would insist on that?

Pretty much every company. To be fair with low wage workers sick pay can become extra holiday but even so you are forced to work while sick or face sanctiions.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Had a large job in a school that was meant to start over the weekend, it’s now on hold for god knows when and was relying on this weeks arranged stage payment which now will never arrive. For self employed this could be a real disaster of a year.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Two of my kids have fevers so I've got no choice. Luckily I can work from home but the missus can't.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Pretty much every company. To be fair with low wage workers sick pay can become extra holiday but even so you are forced to work while sick or face sanctiions.

We get three days per year sick. Most people have used them by this time of year so they're straight onto statutory sick if they're off now, no chance they're going to be honest now and get cut down to 90 quid a week.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I could quite easily do my job from home, in fact I think I would get more done without the rat run/commute and office nonsense, in fact I’ve been pushing to work from home for a long time. Everyone in our company could work from home and it wouldn’t really make any difference to our productivity as EVERYTHING is done online and over the phone.

And yet our numpty Managing Director is insisting everyone has to come in as normal. ****.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Anyone who says no is a cxxt. Even if you are a lonely 70 year old you can knock on the next door neighbour and request some help, no excuses for anybody.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
If we get ill we can and will self isolate (to protect the old and frail neighbours). Luckily all teaching has been suspended (I work at a uni in London) and there will be no financial consequences..

Self isolation when not ill doesn't make sense to me unless you are in a high vulnerability group (with a view to protecting youself), and if so it is unlikely you are full time employed. Such people should be helped by government immediately, though.

Fit people who decide to go to work even though they know they are ill, and infect people leading to the death of the vulnerable could be charged with culpable homice, though, surely?
are
I really feel for some of the self employed, casual workers and those on zero hours, their lives are hard enough in normal circumstances.

I am fortunate and can/will self isolate if need be. My neighbours know I live alone and said to text them if I can't get out for supplies etc.

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Absolutely I would. While Im not overly worried if I get ill, I wouldn't want to be out there spreading it around - so would happily stay in for a couple of weeks if that was required.
I cant work from home, but fortunately can get by for that amount of time if I had to isolate.

Really do feel for those that are self employed and have to try and make ends meet though. Spoke to my mate yesterday who is the official photographer for Southend FC, Sussex CC, and has his own photography business covering public events etc. Absolutely no work at all coming in with everything being cancelled, & has a family to support. Also have another mate whos a gaffer in the movie business, and hes been shut down without pay for the foreseeable future. Tough times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here