Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is YOUR livelihood threatened by Coronavirus (almost certainly a depressing thread)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has really hit me today, being in the travel business, just how dire the future looks currently..

We have such a wide variety of professions covered by NSC

Is anybody feeling confident that their livelihood can ride this out? Let’s hear from you!

If any mods feel this is a thread too far, please delete

:down:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I’m struggling to think of anybody I know who won’t be affected financially.

Gardeners, builders, electricians and plumbers (assuming stocks available), mechanics, dentists spring to mind. In the short term anyway.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Nearly all my income now coming from company pension and as from this month, Old Age Pension, so financially I’m almost unaffected. The downside is of course I’m in the riskier age range

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
All of those people rely on custom from other people who will have to cut back when they are on unpaid leave, statutory sick pay or simply laid off. I would say they are all guaranteed to be significantly affected.

This is true, certainly in the long term.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
The goal should be to protect older/vulnerable people while keeping businesses (and normal life) going. The challenge is to get the best strategies in place to achieve this and they are not always the most palatable.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Has really hit me today, being in the travel business, just how dire the future looks currently..

We have such a wide variety of professions covered by NSC

Is anybody feeling confident that their livelihood can ride this out? Let’s hear from you!

If any mods feel this is a thread too far, please delete

:down:
I fear things will be tough for you for a few months at least, however, those that get through this will see life in a different way and will splurge on trips having realised that life is precious and too short.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I have my own business running academic conferences. Our next one is in serious doubt and we stand to lose 30% of our yearly income.

Thankfully we have some EU grant money to fall back on for the next 2 years but its definitely challenging.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thankfully no - I can work from home indefinately. As it happens it might improve our company figures as many of our customers are looking at expanding their internet bandwidth to cope with wfh and more of their customers spending more time online because they themselves are at home. I'd be worried if I was in many professions though.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Gardeners, builders, electricians and plumbers (assuming stocks available), mechanics, dentists spring to mind. In the short term anyway.

The building industry doesn't need much of an excuse to drop our money. So no I don't think we'll be immune from this.

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
Sadly, I think I’m right. The government is going to have to bring in a law that prevents mortgage companies from taking mortgage payments for a period of time just to ensure people can keep spending to some degree. If not, millions of jobs will be wiped out.

Increasing numbers are renting. I’ve seen landlords saying they can’t afford to suspend their income. I wonder what could be done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'm a toilet paper manufacturer :whistle:

Nope, in all seriousness I have some restaurants in Costa Rica that have been doing OK up until now, although after speaking to friends that own a hotel there the town should be pretty much empty of tourists from next week onwards so expecting to shut them down for a while and keep staff on some kind of allowance - just enough to get by for them without bankrupting the business. We should have enough savings in the bank over there to keep them afloat for a while. Luckily I also work as a graphic designer for a mate's company that sell herbal supplements online. Our sales have been through the roof for some of our immune boosting products and I'm able to work from anywhere (currently Kemptown :bigwave:)

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
I work as a travel writer, mainly guidebooks. No one is commissioning anything, insurers are not covering trips so there's little or no work on the horizon at all for months. I'm ok-ish as just finished a project and don't live beyond my means. Plan to travel around the UK a bit and catch up with friends in distant spots over next few weeks.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It is all so very sad - many people will be impacted, including my daughter who is self employed

For me pension fund taking a huge hit, which means I may have to work part time for longer, but certainly not going to be impacted as much as others will.

But in the end I’m more worried about actually making it through to next year so money isn’t the greatest concern at the moment

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I’m a farmer and fortunately people will always need to eat. But I can’t produce more as we produce what we produce. The job is pretty isolated too. Main worry is getting the virus as I pretty much keep the whole thing going and if I’m out of action there’s not much backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here