Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I tend to buy what Sainsburys give me Nectar points for each week, and for the last couple of months it has been pasta, leeks and sausages, so we also have quite a bit of pasta. But this maybe implies they have a lot of excess pasta that they need to shift.

I'm old enough to remember that bygone era when Saino's were offering 40 bonus Nectar points to buy a four pack of their own brand toilet roll. How I yearn for that golden age of three weeks ago

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
In answer to the OP. I have been buying a few extra items each time I go to the shops. I generally only have a couple of days food in the house, maybe a week if I was to go on rations. I now have about 6 days supply of normal eating. So yes I have a bit more than usual but I would hardly call it panic buying. I will continue to gradually increase the larder so that I have about 2 weeks worth of food in case I need to isolate myself. I live on my own unless my partner is here (she has moved in with her folks to keep them out of a nursing home) so I am not making a dent in the food supply. But I guess if I was part of a family of 6 and looking down the barrel of a 2 to 3 week stint with us all in isolation that's a lot of food and utilities. It doesn't help when governments suddenly announce complete lock downs with little to no warning. Italy did it, the Czech republic has just done it, so people are understandably worried that they are going to get caught out. What needs to happen is for the various governments to announce ahead of time how they intend to keep families supplied if a broad isolation order is given. At the moment it is simply a case of shut the doors and don't come out for an indefinite period of time. Its not surprising that people are stocking up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps you are ignorant of the debate currently being had in the business world about the folly of just in time supply chains. They have been designed to maximize short term profits and bolster share prices in the obsession with productivity. I have been taking part in that debate. I am assuming you have not.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/getting-caught-short-rethinking-supply-chain-risk-brendon-booth

Just In Time management was devised by the Japanese so that businesses don’t over stock, don’t get left with unwanted stock or find that they run out of key components. It’s simply common sense in an ever competitive world. As someone with some knowledge of the business world, many a business has found itself in trouble from overstocking / poor stock management.

Yes, almost all businesses aim to maximise profit, that’s no crime. If you’re against that, you’ll forever be frustrated living in The West, North Korea a good alternative.

The success of the Coronavirus has brought a nearly unique event, very few knew it was coming. Manufacturers, distributors and retailers will now be working 24-7 to fill shop shelves (and maximise their dreaded profits), to redress an issue caused partly by selfish hoarders and eBay chancers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I abhor excess stockpiling at a cost to others; that said, what people aren’t factoring in when they see loaded trolleys is that a lot of people are potentially buying food for more than one household and potentially for elderly relatives.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven’t read whole thread but a very selfish aspect of this is people booking deliveries when they are able to go themselves.

All the supermarket delivery slots should be left available for older and more vulnerable people. There are, apparently, currently no delivery slots available.

Do you live in the Brighton area?

ASDA have had plenty of delivery slots throughout. On Friday, we booked a delivery for today.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We have the following that I'd consider "extra":

3 * 500g pasta
1 * 500g basmati rice
4 * tins of tomatoes
1 * tube tomato puree
2 * tins black beans
2 * tins chickpeas
1 * pack frozen Quorn mince
1 * bag potatoes (we don't normally ever have potatoes in the house)

However, by Thursday each week we're pretty much out of stuff - it's when we do our weekly shop - so this could tide us over for a few days if we went to do our shop and the shelves were bare.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
Been prepping since end of January as well as warning as many as possible(Scared a couple ofpeople so much they gave up smoking), was done stocking up by end of Feb, its not my fault if some people prefer the illusion of saftey. So when some finally wake up they instinctivly panic. Even now there are plenty of people claiming its just a type of flu.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I went to the wholesalers on Friday for our normal weekly re-stock for my business. I’ve never seen the car park so full in 19 years, loads of people there I have never seen before, you get to see the same people every week. All the JCLs had the maximum of large packs of loo rolls they were allowed,but the thing that really annoyed me, was all the floor cleaner we use and all the anti bacterial spray, for benches tables etc, had gone. We need this stuff to keep food prep areas safe, it’s more or less demanded by theEHOs that you use it.
It won’t have any effect on a virus, anyway, it’s anti bacterial not anti virus, but, these panic buying wankers are too thick to understand that.

A virologist said exactly that yesterday - anti-bacterial items on their own have absolutely no effect in obliterating the Coronavirus.

Cleansing products need to contain alcohol.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We've just decided to buy a mini freezer tomorrow as ours is so small that we'd soon run out of food if we both had to isolate, which is quite possible with her working on the front line

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Last shopping trip I did get 96 Weetabix rather than the 72 box. However this was only because they were on offer and therefore cheaper.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've just decided to buy a mini freezer tomorrow as ours is so small that we'd soon run out of food if we both had to isolate, which is quite possible with her working on the front line

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I was looking at this last week for the very same reasons. Wondered if anywhere would have them in stock to pick up - have you found any?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They might have delivery slots, what they have in stock may be an entirely different discussion [emoji29]

They were out of loo roll and paracetamol (very predictable), but not too much else if you’re flexible about brands etc.

It’s the same in the actual supermarket, so no loss from ordering online.

Loo rolls was solved by popping into ALDI Portslade on Friday afternoon, which had stacks of the stuff.

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
I abhor excess stockpiling at a cost to others; that said, what people aren’t factoring in when they see loaded trolleys is that a lot of people are potentially buying food for more than one household and potentially for elderly relatives.

Agree in part, ive got enough food for a couple of months but have a good hunch I will be feeding others, relatives, idiots etc. Problem is people have been buying the wrong stuff, you wont need that much extra bog roll but would be better minded getting a couple of those 5 packs of instant noodles or flour.

50269_4qvc4lscxjefx6j_full.jpeg

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Just In Time management was devised by the Japanese so that businesses don’t over stock, don’t get left with unwanted stock or find that they run out of key components. It’s simply common sense in an ever competitive world. As someone with some knowledge of the business world, many a business has found itself in trouble from overstocking / poor stock management.

Yes, almost all businesses aim to maximise profit, that’s no crime. If you’re against that, you’ll forever be frustrated living in The West, North Korea a good alternative.

The success of the Coronavirus has brought a nearly unique event, very few knew it was coming. Manufacturers, distributors and retailers will now be working 24-7 to fill shop shelves (and maximise their dreaded profits), to redress an issue caused partly by selfish hoarders and eBay chancers.

I am against businesses not assuming the full cost of their business and that includes the probability of supply disruption. Just in time supply chains are an example of the fragility of such modern business practices, where society is left to bare the cost as opposed to the business. Of course large scale hoarding and reselling should be banned but it is a consequence of allowing the likes of EBay to exist. People have forgotten that prices can go up as well as down.
All I am saying is let’s be clear where the fault lies. People need to stop blaming others for stocking two weeks extra because that is what will be needed at the very least. As someone else has said, there is also a need to buy extra for the elderly if they cannot leave their houses. We will be doing exactly this for my elderly, poorly mother.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here