Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I had built a bit of a buffer during the nuclear arms race of the 1980s which in turn evolved into a wepons of mass distruction emergency food stock and that just naturally tripped into the Brexit survival I like to say pack Brexit survival pack but it's more of Brexit long term survival room, which in all honesty is a relief as its now so easy to just change the name on the door, I am really glad I chose to use magnetic lettering for this back in the 1980s only goes to vindicate my forethought

Did you stock up on tin foil so you could make some nice hats? :smile::D

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We don't have a freezer, so have a few basic essentials in the kitchen and could maybe last for two weeks.
I think we will all have to eat less and make our supplies last - a good opportunity to lose weight and spend less.
We will go out tomorrow and buy cat food, marmite and parmesan, and hopefully that will be enough.

Interesting diet you have there!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I accidentally bought loads of pasta through the month of February.

For some strange reason I kept buying a pack of pasta shells/twists, then the next week thinking 'i don't think we have any tagliatelle' and so on.

We eat a lot of pasta, so I didn't think anything of it.
What we haven't got is anything to eat with the pasta. :lol: :facepalm:

That’s exactly what my wife said, what are people doing with all this pasta, making macaroni necklaces?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We don't have a freezer, so have a few basic essentials in the kitchen and could maybe last for two weeks.
I think we will all have to eat less and make our supplies last - a good opportunity to lose weight and spend less.
We will go out tomorrow and buy cat food, marmite and parmesan, and hopefully that will be enough.

We don't have a freezer either.

I did buy hot crossed buns scampi fries and pork scratchings yesterday, so we've got those covered.

I also bought some Head and Shoulders 2 in 1.
Jnr passed some 'la-de-da' comment to which I replied:-

'Well if we're all going to die we might as well go out with a shiny coat and a wet nose'.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How do you define the difference between stockpiling and being pragmatic. Don't mind admitting that over the last few weeks, each time I've shopped I've bought a little extra just to ensure we've got about two weeks supply of the basics. Don't need more than that. Stockpiling would suggest considerably more than that and the worst cases are those bulk buying and then selling it on at inflated prices!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How do you define the difference between stockpiling and being pragmatic. Don't mind admitting that over the last few weeks, each time I've shopped I've bought a little extra just to ensure we've got about two weeks supply of the basics. Don't need more than that. Stockpiling would suggest considerably more than that and the worst cases are those bulk buying and then selling it on at inflated prices!

Exactly. Not sure they will listen though. This is the new virtue signaling witch-hunt thread. NSC always has to have at least one on the go at any one time.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I bought 18 toilet rolls and 30 pocket-size hand sanitizers.

BUT this was in Dubai, where there are absolutely no shortages of anything at all - toilet roll aisle looks completely normal. So not panic buying.

HOWEVER I then put them all in a suitcase and flew into Heathrow, so my family here had plenty, and my wife could even distribute the hand sanitizers to friends. So not normal behaviour either...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I went to the wholesalers on Friday for our normal weekly re-stock for my business. I’ve never seen the car park so full in 19 years, loads of people there I have never seen before, you get to see the same people every week. All the JCLs had the maximum of large packs of loo rolls they were allowed,but the thing that really annoyed me, was all the floor cleaner we use and all the anti bacterial spray, for benches tables etc, had gone. We need this stuff to keep food prep areas safe, it’s more or less demanded by theEHOs that you use it.
It won’t have any effect on a virus, anyway, it’s anti bacterial not anti virus, but, these panic buying wankers are too thick to understand that.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I have an under counter fridge with one of those tiny freezers so I'm ****ed whatever happens

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They should ban news outlets reporting stories about such practices, in fact bring back Pathe news reels!

As for pasta and bog rolls, never ate much pasta in the first place (spic food[emoji23]) and I have one shit a day, climb into the shower and hose off, job done [emoji736]

Pasta is “spic” food? I can’t work out if this ignorance is rooted in a lack of geographical knowledge or not having a full grasp of racial slurs...maybe both?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Went to Aldi in Rustington after work yesterday and it was stripped bare of lots of items. Rice/pasta, tinned beans, tinned veg, any form of bread, crisps/Doritos all flours and any type of pizza all stripped out. Plenty of milk surprisingly.

A mother of two kids was at the checkout in front of me.... She avoided eye contact as she packed her 3 bottles of beach and 4 litres of Long Life milk in to her groaning trolley.

Any civilised society is only a week away from total anarchy. It's coming.

I've always believed that to, nobody grows anything, we all use supermarkets. Global economic collapse,? a nuclear bomb? What ever disaster that could happen somewhere that affects supermarket supply lines. Anarchy and lawlessness within days.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Is the media partly to blame though for scaremongering, albeit possibly inadvertantly or perhaps the action that's been taken in other countries like Italy? People have stockpiled instead of being rational in case the country goes on lockdown. But even on lockdown essentials would still be available with more than enough for everybody as usual.

I think as soon as stockpiling started happening the government should have jumped on it and banned it.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I assume it isn't that people are preparing for their personal needs during isolation and more the fear that the uk infrastructure will collapse and they need to have a stockpile to survive the ensuing breakdown in society.

Probably best that people that think that way, have what they think they need, to be honest.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Exactly. Not sure they will listen though. This is the new virtue signaling witch-hunt thread. NSC always has to have at least one on the go at any one time.

So you don't think it's selfish to buy extra thus depriving other people ( including food banks ) of the opportunity to have supplies too ?

We're down to our last 3 toilet rolls in a house of 5 because I couldn't get any yesterday. Personally I'd suggest that's because of selfish w@nkers.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Being pragmatic and having 2 weeks of supplies is fairly normal, or at least in falls inside of the parameters that most of us would think of as normal - Buying 96 toilet rolls is stockpiling, I mean how many does a normal family use, 8 a week, if that? Seeing the shelves empty of things like chopped tomatoes demonstrates that we're seeing entirely abnormal behaviour. There was only 1 can of chickpeas in Porthmadog Lidl yesterday, that's bonkers - I suspect the vast majority of the local population wouldn't have a clue what to do with a chickpea.

Some people need to stop and reflect on their actions - Another thing I saw locally was a couple of visibly upset elderly people in Machynlleth co-op a couple of days ago because they couldn't buy toilet roll. People on benefits, people on pensions, they don't have the luxury of bulk buying, they're cash doesn't run to it so when they go to buy some cans of beans or pasta and there's nothing there, it's a pretty grim scenario.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Let the neurotic shopping blitz begin again gang, 55 minutes to go, every girl for themselves.

What they should do is program the tills, especially the self-service the way they do with headache tablets etc. so that you can only buy two packs of pasta or one of bog roll.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park
We started about 3/4 weeks ago, plugged in a new freezer in the shed and stocked up on frozen meals from Iceland. Been buying an extra one or two loads of bread each day from the Tesco’s over the road, got a few more extra large packs of toilet rolls due to the amount of coughing the kids are doing, advice is to cough into a tissue then bin it. Stocked up on pasta, tins, etc etc. Why wouldn’t we? Have 3 young children, 2 with cf, we made the decision early as it was obvious to anyone what was going to happen, glad we did now, have been on ‘lockdown’ now for a week. The panic buying is because people have been too slow to realise what was going to happen. It was only common sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here