Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone Happy To Admit To Panic Buying/Stockpiling?

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Whilst there seems to be general condemnation of people stockpiling/panic buying it's 100% clear that #BeKind has been replaced with #ScrewYou - enough people are doing it to force supermarkets into rationing certain items just so we can all, especially the vulnerable, get what they need.

Who is prepared to put their head above the parapet and admit to doing it and justify it?

Is it herd mentality? Is it "I wouldn't but if everyone else is then you've got to look after number one"? Is it "I simply don't care, I do what I want"?

Also, can you explain why a week or two of potential self isolation necessitates 200 rolls of toilet paper and enough rice and pasta for an army? Are the rest of us just idiots for not getting in there and grabbing what we can given we could all be looking at long term distribution issues if enough people get sick/self isolate?

What would make you think of others? In fact, what can be done to encourage people to think of others in the community, especially those who may be in high risk groups that may be fearful of going to the shops?

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I couldn't stockpile or panic buy even if I wanted too because there was hardly anything left on the shelves when I popped up my local supermarket earlier.
The selfishness and ignorance of so many n today's society is very saddening.
What are people who rely on food banks going to do for even a small amount of essentials if they have to self isolate because the banks are getting nothing in at the moment.
This post would have been at home in Edwardian Britain.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Scum, pure and simply scum!

Have a look on eBay and see how much hand sanitiser is selling for.

The hospital where my wife has just had her chemotherapy has a massive problem, whereby members of the public have been coming in and filling up empty bottles with the hand sanitiser provided as you walk into the hospital. They have had to position security at the entrances to prevent people taking the pi$$...

This **** you I’m alright mentality is really showing its head now...

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
We don't have a freezer, so have a few basic essentials in the kitchen and could maybe last for two weeks.
I think we will all have to eat less and make our supplies last - a good opportunity to lose weight and spend less.
We will go out tomorrow and buy cat food, marmite and parmesan, and hopefully that will be enough.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Scum, pure and simply scum!

Have a look on eBay and see how much hand sanitiser is selling for.

The hospital where my wife has just had her chemotherapy has a massive problem, whereby members of the public have been coming in and filling up empty bottles with the hand sanitiser provided as you walk into the hospital. They have had to position security at the entrances to prevent people taking the pi$$...

This **** you I’m alright mentality is really showing its head now...

This type of behaviour should as abhorrent as dropping your trousers and taking a dump in the middle of the road. So much for #BeKind, #Respect, #Together and all that idealistic nonsense. I really do try to live and let live but it's this sort of thing that makes me mutate into some kind of rabid monster ready to lynch the scum on the nearest branch.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
We don't have a freezer, so have a few basic essentials in the kitchen and could maybe last for two weeks.
I think we will all have to eat less and make our supplies last - a good opportunity to lose weight and spend less.
We will go out tomorrow and buy cat food, marmite and parmesan, and hopefully that will be enough.

Out of interest, why no freezer? Space, lifestyle choice, money?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We are stocked with essentials for two weeks so will be fine in the event we have to self isolate only. I don’t think we have enough should we actually contract the virus. Flu at Christmas knocked us out for six weeks but we did make it out to the shops. If we are not allowed to leave the house, things could be a lot worse.
There are some lovely people on this thread.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I haven’t but I think this is a natural consequence of some people’s fears. We all handle the pressure in different ways. If we are at risk of running out of supplies then a way to partially resolve it is for the govt to impose quantity restrictions on supermarkets selling. Won’t stop the really nervous visiting multiple supermarkets of course

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
They should ban news outlets reporting stories about such practices, in fact bring back Pathe news reels!

As for pasta and bog rolls, never ate much pasta in the first place (spic food[emoji23]) and I have one shit a day, climb into the shower and hose off, job done [emoji736]

Bought some tins of soup yesterday (only six) and some bread flour and yeast - found out when I got home we already had an in date tin of the latter lurking in a cupboard - any offers? :)

Didn't see any empty shelves, although less loo paper than usual in the store I could have bought some if had really needed it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I find someone that's stockpiled toilet paper I'm going to take my daily dump on their doorstep. Selfish w@nkers. Went to two supermarkets yesterday and the shelves were stripped. Couldn't believe how many more people there were than usual and many of them with full to the brim trollies with items you would usually only buy one or two of. Let's hope the rumours of the army being brought in are true and that they are given orders to shoot stockpilers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I accidentally bought loads of pasta through the month of February.

For some strange reason I kept buying a pack of pasta shells/twists, then the next week thinking 'i don't think we have any tagliatelle' and so on.

We eat a lot of pasta, so I didn't think anything of it.
What we haven't got is anything to eat with the pasta. :lol: :facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Went to Aldi in Rustington after work yesterday and it was stripped bare of lots of items. Rice/pasta, tinned beans, tinned veg, any form of bread, crisps/Doritos all flours and any type of pizza all stripped out. Plenty of milk surprisingly.

A mother of two kids was at the checkout in front of me.... She avoided eye contact as she packed her 3 bottles of beach and 4 litres of Long Life milk in to her groaning trolley.

Any civilised society is only a week away from total anarchy. It's coming.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Overheard the cashier in my local Sainsbury’s store say that the shop had taken more money in the last week than in the run up to Christmas. Another said the other problem they were facing was a staff shortage so were struggling to get stock on the shelves.

Similar situation with no toilet paper and pasta, rice and tinned food shelves empty yet the whole frozen section was full. If people were stockpiling for a lockdown/self-isolation surely you’d stock your freezer.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This type of behaviour should as abhorrent as dropping your trousers and taking a dump in the middle of the road. So much for #BeKind, #Respect, #Together and all that idealistic nonsense. I really do try to live and let live but it's this sort of thing that makes me mutate into some kind of rabid monster ready to lynch the scum on the nearest branch.

I must admit there has been more than one time in the past when I wished I had a high velocity rifle... Chuck your McDonalds cup out of your car window - take that scum! Throw your fag packet on the floor - take that scum!

Now add to the list, fill your shopping trolley with things you don’t need - hasta la vista baby!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I had built a bit of a buffer during the nuclear arms race of the 1980s which in turn evolved into a wepons of mass distruction emergency food stock and that just naturally tripped into the Brexit survival I like to say pack Brexit survival pack but it's more of Brexit long term survival room, which in all honesty is a relief as its now so easy to just change the name on the door, I am really glad I chose to use magnetic lettering for this back in the 1980s only goes to vindicate my forethought

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Overheard the cashier in my local Sainsbury’s store say that the shop had taken more money in the last week than in the run up to Christmas. Another said the other problem they were facing was a staff shortage so were struggling to get stock on the shelves.

Similar situation with no toilet paper and pasta, rice and tinned food shelves empty yet the whole frozen section was full. If people were stockpiling for a lockdown/self-isolation surely you’d stock your freezer.

People only have a finite amount of freezer space, whereas you can insulate your rooms with packets of toilet rolls!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Sainsburys West Hove yesterday morning had many freezers empty. Spoke to one of the guys that monitors self service and he said the best time to get any of the most demanded items was 4.30pm because that's when the biggest deliveries get put on the shelves but you do have to be quick !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here