Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What happens to the rest of the season?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Just thinking what will happen, as is quite likely, if the Covid-19 crisis goes on for several months? Abandonment of the season? Playing games behind closed doors? If they abandon the season, what then, the position the team is in seals their fate? What about teams with games in hand eg Villa or would there simply be no movement between divisions? I guess the games will simply have to be played in empty stadiums and broadcast.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just thinking what will happen, as is quite likely, if the Covid-19 crisis goes on for several months? Abandonment of the season? Playing games behind closed doors? If they abandon the season, what then, the position the team is in seals their fate? What about teams with games in hand eg Villa or would there simply be no movement between divisions? I guess the games will simply have to be played in empty stadiums and broadcast.

No ones really given it a moments thought :whistle:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No ones really given it a moments thought :whistle:

Bit surprised, really, that there hasn't been a couple of threads about the virus, and its effect on football, on NSC, to be fair. :shrug:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

You have to be on a wind up.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

No not at all. China is still in lock down 3 months after the outbreak started. So anyone who thinks this is all going back to normal in a couple of weeks is living in a fantasy. So the question is do the teams continue to play but without spectators or is it like one day cricket, rain stops play and a mathematical algorithm is used.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

Also I suggest you do the math. the population of the UK is 66 million, if bugger is all done many immunologists suggest a transmission rate of 70%, they also suggest the actual mortality rate is about 1%. Now lets be really kind and suggest there is a 20% transmission rate. 20% of 66 million is 12 million is 120 K deaths, and that is a very conservative figure, using the 70% figure and you are getting close to half a million deaths. So do you really think the football will be back in a couple of weeks?

Last edited:

Dec 29, 2011
Also I suggest you do the math. the population of the UK is 66 million, if bugger is all done many immunologists suggest a transmission rate of 70%, the they also suggest the actual mortality rate is about 1%. Now lets be really kind and suggest there is a 20% transmission rate. 20% of 66 million is 12 million is 120 K deaths, and that is a very conservative figure using the 70% figure and you are getting close to half a million deaths. So do you really think the football will be back in a couple of weeks?

Trolling wasn't even subtle. Welcome to my select (but growing) list of ignores.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Trolling wasn't even subtle. Welcome to my select (but growing) list of ignores.

How the F*** is this trolling?????? Sorry for pointing out the facts and suggesting the reason these measures are being taken is because this is far more serious than seasonal influenza. These figures are if nothing is done and we just let the outbreak run its course.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
How the F*** is this trolling?????? Sorry for pointing out the facts and suggesting the reason these measures are being taken is because this is far more serious than seasonal influenza. These figures are if nothing is done and we just let the outbreak run its course.

Read the second, third and fourth replies. Do you really think no one’s discussed these issues on NSC until your post?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Ooops to be honest I didn't look for other posts, still doesn't make this one trolling, superfluous yes.

You say this is such a big thing which no doubt it is. Yet you didn't think on a football forum with football at a standstill anyone would've thought to mention it. Dont buy that at all especially with several posts on vivid 19 and what would happen to the season on the first page of thread titles

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Also I suggest you do the math. the population of the UK is 66 million, if bugger is all done many immunologists suggest a transmission rate of 70%, they also suggest the actual mortality rate is about 1%. Now lets be really kind and suggest there is a 20% transmission rate. 20% of 66 million is 12 million is 120 K deaths, and that is a very conservative figure, using the 70% figure and you are getting close to half a million deaths. So do you really think the football will be back in a couple of weeks?

No-one is disagreeing Nick. You've missed the fact that this is being discussed in NUMEROUS other threads, including:

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...t-of-merely-suspending-Premier-League-matches
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...e-season-***-ALL-FIXTURES-POSTPONED-3rd-April
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?378772-If-the-current-season-is-now-cancelled
https://www.northstandchat.com/show...-League-season-scheduled-to-start-in-150-days

Enjoy!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here