Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Did You Pay By Credit Card?"

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
With many companies looking like they're going out of business there are many genuine questions being asked on consumer programmes and forums about how to get various refunds.

The standard reply seems to be that if you paid by credit card you will be able to claim for a refund under the the Consumer Credit Act.

As this is likely to total hundreds of millions or even maybe over a billion, how do Mastercard and Visa cope with this?

Yes, I know they also earn fortunes, but there must be a tipping point?

There must be a few banks and insurance companies wobbling?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Always pay for Holidays by credit card and it has ensured refunds where it goes wrong and you are right there will be serious knock-on effects on all businesses.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Paid for my 1901 by credit card, what’s Barbers email......... ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC just mentioned that £100b may be lost by the global travel industry including airlines.

Then there are the credit card banks.

I would imagine that various governments will bailout these businesses, using quantitive easing, as this progresses.

It would serve no one if the likes of BA, Jet2, Lufthansa, Easyjet, Travel Republic go bust. Countless jobs and livelihoods on the line.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BBC just mentioned that £100b may be lost by the global travel industry including airlines.

I would imagine that various governments will bailout these businesses, using quantitive easing, as this progresses.

It would serve no one if the likes of BA, Jet2, Lufthansa, Easyjet, Travel Republic go bust. Countless jobs and livelihoods on the line.

It looks ominous however once the world gets through this people will still want to go on Holiday

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My limited understanding of the mathematics of history and events is that unexpected catastropic change can tip an apparently stable system across a horizon into an unknown configuration. In other words, nobody knows what might happen in the next few months. Brace yourselves.....

black_holes_generic.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I expect we’ll travel more in the 12 months once it’s all over (including the ending of restrictions at destinations), with the money saved by not holidaying in the next 6 months or so.

Probably, the 5 nights we have booked next month in Krakow is looking highly unlikely now........

Stranded in Lanzarote last month with three cancelled flight to and from - might just write-off any chance of a holiday this year.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Probably, the 5 nights we have booked in Krakow is looking highly unlikely now........

Stranded in Lanzarote last month with three cancelled flight to and from - might just write-off any chance of a holiday this year.

Luckily for us, only flights booked for NYC in the summer. I came to the conclusion a while back they’ll be cancelled by Norwegian at some stage. The hotel is easily cancellable with the credit card ‘deposit’ scrubbed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Luckily for us, only flights booked for NYC in the summer. I came to the conclusion a while back they’ll be cancelled by Norwegian at some stage. The hotel is easily cancellable with the credit card ‘deposit’ scrubbed.

Well it is a full Easyjet package to Krakow so I assume if flights cancelled full refund. We have flights only booked to Portugal late May for a wedding so once again if cancelled a refund.

Mexico one is a potential issue possibly with Tui, £500 paid and balance to be paid early may for two weeks in August.........

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I’m not trying to turn it into a Brexit thingy

But the last thing the Government needs is our Airlines to go under if we are trying to trade and be a business hub.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Credit card purchase needs to be £100 plus for a single item. Wifey ‘bought’ a few items from dodgy company, Express Supplements in Luton, and won’t be seeing that money again.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Credit card purchase needs to be £100 plus for a single item. Wifey ‘bought’ a few items from dodgy company, Express Supplements in Luton, and won’t be seeing that money again.
Worth contacting credit card and claiming back using Chargeback.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I’ve also had money returned over damaged goods when using a debit card for goods over £100 after contacting my debit card supplier. Don’t know if applies to all debit cards but mine is also a Debit Visa card.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
With many companies looking like they're going out of business there are many genuine questions being asked on consumer programmes and forums about how to get various refunds.

The standard reply seems to be that if you paid by credit card you will be able to claim for a refund under the the Consumer Credit Act.

As this is likely to total hundreds of millions or even maybe over a billion, how do Mastercard and Visa cope with this?

Yes, I know they also earn fortunes, but there must be a tipping point?

There must be a few banks and insurance companies wobbling?

Surely where Visa/MC are involved, it's the card issuer that is liable? eg. A bank? Amex likely to be hit quite hard though as they're also the issuer in most instances.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Wifey would also need to be using her own credit account for it to qualify, little bit of a loophole that the banks will use there....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here