Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] When Reality Hits

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I wake up this morning knowing that our match has been cancelled. Not because of the usual fog, rain or snow. Not because of transport problems or some stomach bug amongst the players. Football is a great constant in our lives, through periods of uncertainty it has always been there. On the evening of 9 /11 we were watching our beloved team at Withdean. Football is a leveller. The show always goes on. Today is different.
At 3 p.m today I will be thinking of every supporter who would have been at Falmer. Those I sit near but never really talk to. Those in the stands opposite. The staff at the ground. Stewards and shop workers. Those that help us get onto the trains. The players and management and I will be wondering what you will be doing and thinking. More than anything I look forward to seeing you soon. I know this is short term and for a good reason. However, in my lifetime we have never lost football before.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Get a life.

Bit harsh? :shrug:

These are strange, unprecedented times. I guess all we know is things are going to get a lot worse before thy get any better. Not surprising that many of us feel pretty anxious about global events and ones closer to home. Still, I’m sure the OP will take heart from your robust advice...

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hopefully this will help smooth out this thread.

Here's Yo-yo ma struggling to get to grips with an oversized guitar.

[tweet]1238572657278431234[/tweet]

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Hopefully this will help smooth out this thread.

Here's Yo-yo ma struggling to get to grips with an oversized guitar.

[tweet]1238572657278431234[/tweet]

Posters of a certain age will listen to this and start thinking and talking in a Yorkshire accent.
Eee-by- gum, there be wheat germ in that there bread, th’lad.

Or is that just me...

el punal

Seriously. Far more important things in life than football.

Of course there are but the OP was talking about a football matter on a football forum, which is fair enough. I, too, will miss meeting friends and going to the Amex in these unprecedented times. Hopefully no one will tell me to get a life for feeling that way.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Get a life.

Hard to do with the shit going on at the moment, don’t know about you but mine is on hold. I watch or listen to football every Saturday. I try and avoid having to do anything that will disrupt this ritual.

I am self isolating as much as possible as I am very aware that my wife does not need to catch this virus. Truth be told I think most of us will be getting it sooner or later though :down:

I am 100% with the OP and find your one liner rather thoughtless and a bit dicky.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Get a life.

If we get out of this the other end with a good result there will be c300 fans who won’t be at Albion’s next game who would have been there today.

300 empty seats of fans just like you and me. 300 fans who, a few weeks ago, were just going about their business with their family and friends.

Don’t be a knob.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If we get out of this the other end with a good result there will be c300 fans who won’t be at Albion’s next game who would have been there today.

300 empty seats of fans just like you and me. 300 fans who, a few weeks ago, were just going about their business with their family and friends.

Don’t be a knob.

I may be wrong but I’m not sure Clive Walker was trivialising people dieing from Coronavirus.
More that the tone of the original post when writing about a football game being postponed was perhaps a little over the top.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Seriously. Far more important things in life than football.

Such as emotional intelligence, mutual respect, a bit of maturity, empathy, etc.

Perhaps you could use the next 3 weeks to start acquiring some of these valuable qualities, which would make you a nicer person, and more respected NSC poster?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I wake up this morning knowing that our match has been cancelled. Not because of the usual fog, rain or snow. Not because of transport problems or some stomach bug amongst the players. Football is a great constant in our lives, through periods of uncertainty it has always been there. On the evening of 9 /11 we were watching our beloved team at Withdean. Football is a leveller. The show always goes on. Today is different.
At 3 p.m today I will be thinking of every supporter who would have been at Falmer. Those I sit near but never really talk to. Those in the stands opposite. The staff at the ground. Stewards and shop workers. Those that help us get onto the trains. The players and management and I will be wondering what you will be doing and thinking. More than anything I look forward to seeing you soon. I know this is short term and for a good reason. However, in my lifetime we have never lost football before.

I’ve just read this and thought nice post.

Get a life.

WOW!
I’ve just read this and thought- you are a cock.:ffsparr:
I did think another word beginning with c, but there is a swear filter.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Get a life.

Personally I think the OP was transending football itself and more that the lives of many ( who do indeed have a life ) have been affected in a negative way. He / she was just using football as an example of this. Everybody is going to affected by this .... some more than others .... so your response was at best uncaring and and worst prickish. I can only assume you're probably one of those panic buyer w@nkers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here