Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Worst timed charity appeal EVER. Help appreciated.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Hello everybody,

Many of you will know me from this site. I’m the mild mannered guy that staggered through two years of hosting World’s Hardest Creature and photographs you runners out there.

Anyway, I’ve gone and done something a little foolish. I’ve signed up to participate in the ForRangers Ultra (see video below for the showreel). It’s a 230k ultra event across rural Kenya. It’s an act of middle aged insanity. Five marathons in five days, at altitude, in the heat of the African sun, carrying all my kit with me every step of the way. Oh! And occasionally I’ll be donning the iconic rhino costume, just to warm things up a little. This is unlike any challenge I have ever taken on before. Ever.

The event is to raise funds for the rangers that do so much to help in the war on poaching. Over 1,000 rangers have lost their lives since 2003. They need boots, clothes, binoculars, night vision goggles and, yes, weapons. The charity also cares for the rangers’ families by providing life insurance.

The elephant in the room (pardon the pun) is that this is, admittedly, an absurd time to be seeking your support. The Covid-19 crisis rages all about us. We’re about to embark on a period unlike any we’ve seen before. We will all experience hardship and, sadly, many of us will experience loss. Almost all us will suffer some form of financial deprivation. So why am I asking now?

I signed up to this 18 months ago. I’ve been in training for a year already. I’ve already put in 80 miles this month and so it goes on. Today is six months to the day until my departure and that was always the time I’d planned to open my fundraising. Events have overtaken me but the quest continues.

I know that nobody can say they have suffered from a lack of rhinos in their life. We all have so many more human challenges around us. There is so much deprivation all about us. However, I desperately want our children and their children to still be able to see magnificent wildlife... in the wild. It’s just a different sort of important.

Please help if you possibly can. Every single penny is appreciated and will do good.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/James-Higham2

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Thought this was about our Scottish friends and there firm

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Two donations already from the mighty NSC family. It's genuinely humbling, seeing as how I've never actually met a single soul on here. I really do appreciate it more than you'll know. I promise to spend all the hours I can spare training to be worthy of your support.

Thanks so much.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Done. My usual price of a pint.
Lovely sentiment sending good luck messages, but a small donation would be a little more appreciated perhaps? Even £ 1 is better than nothing.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Thanks guys! Your generosity is greatly appreciated. All the more so at this tricky time.

I particularly like Jack Straw’s price of a pint initiative. It’s an idea I’m running with from now on. I can pretty much always spare a fiver.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good Luck Jim

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
You’re generosity is genuinely moving. I cannot thank you enough. You’re all legends.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Dear all. I know this doesn’t really matter in the light of everything going on, but my Kenyan adventure has been postponed for a year. Sadly, the eighteen months training will have to be extended for another eighteen months. Ugh!

In the grand scheme of things, this is utterly unimportant right now. Huge thanks to all of you that have donated thus far. The page will stay up but has been in cold storage until some sort of normality is restored.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here