Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwegian Air on the Brink ?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
What can any airlines do at the moment? There is going to have be a big set of support from governments to keep some industries alive over this period.

Note that alive does not mean alive as they were or in any way thriving. Lots of people will lose their jobs.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I thought they'd told the Norse to stop breathing or something.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I feel sorry for the staff, but that is a shambles of an airline in my experience and will be no great loss to aviation.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have JFK flights booked with them for the summer, arranged 6 months ago.

I’ve assumed for a couple of weeks that either they’ll go bust, or they’ll cancel due to Coronavirus or Trump will ban Brits entering. No problem, we paid by credit card and will claim a refund one way or another. Then go once the chaos is over.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Luthansa and Delta now asking for govt help to stay in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
The Travel Industry is in serious trouble - I've never seen anything like it. The last 48hrs has seen things change by the hour!

Cashflow is going to kill many businesses in the sector - Airlines, Hotels, Tour Operators, Agents etc.. the list goes on....

It's not so much a question of what we are doing as a country, now its more of a case of who will let us in. Most Cruise compnies are suspending operations into May, big % of flights grounded and as the list of countries not accepting us grows, so do the cancellations and there are precious few bookings, most of which are for 2021 on low deposits.

Currently Tour Ops/Airlines are cancelling with full refunds with limited admin resource, as the volume of cancellations/amendments is just not normal at a time when most of their cash is going out making zero in profits. Package Travel Regs say refunds must be made within 14 days - in this environment, that probably ain't gonna happen.

Personally my income could be zero for the next "x" months - expect casualties and a very different travel landscape when we come out at the end of this.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It will be interesting to have the air quality figures as the world grinds to a halt, less transport, less factory outputs and so on.

This could change how we exist for ever.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Reports that following are on stop sale from travel agents, meaning TA's can't offer financial protection due to solvency concerns;

• Air Baltic
• Norwegian
• Korean Airlines
• Cathay Pacific
• TUI
• Virgin Australia
• Kuwait Airways
• Vietnam Airlines
• Air Malta

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Trumps ban has pretty much killed a few airlines.

I think he may lift it very quickly when he realises the damage done.

Will it make much difference? There can't be many folk who will book anything up right now.

I've put off booking our Summer holiday, but I don't expect the world to be in any fit state for holiday travel come August, and I'm already tempering my son's expectations regarding our October half-term holiday booking (flights to Miami) as, again, I'm fart from convinced that there will be any kind of normality by then.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Also don't underestimate the potential effect of not being able to get adequate Travel Insurance on future travel.

Big players have withdrawn from the market today, and you'll be lucky to find a reasonably priced policy including cover for Covi19 from now..

Also a number of the more competitively priced policies which people have bought prior to the outbreak on future travel have a general exclusion applying to the whole policy excluding all cover for epidemics and pandemics.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Reports that following are on stop sale from travel agents, meaning TA's can't offer financial protection due to solvency concerns;

• Air Baltic
• Norwegian
• Korean Airlines
• Cathay Pacific
• TUI
• Virgin Australia
• Kuwait Airways
• Vietnam Airlines
• Air Malta

Just out of interest.....

My sister and niece are booked on Norwegian, flying from Gatwick to LA on March 31 (and then driving to visit me in Phoenix). Now, they almost certainly won't be coming (for obvious reasons). But if Norwegian go bust, will they have any recourse to get all or some of their money back?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

My sister and niece are booked on Norwegian, flying from Gatwick to LA on March 31 (and then driving to visit me in Phoenix). Now, they almost certainly won't be coming (for obvious reasons). But if Norwegian go bust, will they have any recourse to get all or some of their money back?

Your best bet is hope Trump bans UK travellers in the coming days and then Norwegian will have to give a refund.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Balders

Aug 19, 2013

How did she book it and through who? Also how did she pay? Did she also book and pay for any one of the following: Accommodation, Car Hire or Attraction tickets at the sme time?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Hopefully they paid by credit card, which should give them protection under s75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here