Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Being post corona

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Adults who have recovered from 'childhood diseases' have very valuable antibodies for six months. I caught chicken pox from my children, when in my thirties.
A colleague at work mentioned the Blood Transfusion service (I was already a donor) needing antibodies for immunosuppressed children, so I rang them.
I had to give a 'special donation' which could be given to many children who had no immunity whatsover due to various treatment/illnesses. It made me feel very 'special' at the time.

Maybe the WHO can use something similar to facilitate the vaccine for next winter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
'In your system, no', but that wasn't his point.

He meant that you'd still need to be careful not to physically transfer the virus to someone (touching an infected door handle on the way in, etc)

Oh good point. I hadn’t actually thought of that.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I can’t stop thinking about how important this could be. Once people are “post-virus”, as far as we are aware it looks very unlikely they can catch the virus again, if their body’s immune system has done its job.

If that is the case, these people could potentially be invaluable to our community - helping older/vulnerable people who will be self isolating to a very large extent. How can this be harnessed? Could a test ever be invented to see if someone was “post corona”?

I appreciate this could be really tricky, given the government’s understandable plan to focus on testing the likely more at risk/critical. I just can’t shake the idea there might be some miracle solution to this that would massively help both those in need, and stem the overall flow of infection.

Step forward Dr. Mellotron.

:J)

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Again I may well be wrong, but I was assuming - given the recommended 7 day isolation - that post that period it would very unlikely you would pass it on to others, if it is no longer in your system?

Article in The Lancet a couple of days ago, suggests that the virus can remain in the body for up to 37 days (in the worst cases). For a less technical version, here's a report from The Mirror.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This will slowly become a more relevant thread.

News from Germany is that they will be giving people who test positive for antibodies some sort of Certificate of Immunity, I’m guessing to be presented to police or authorities where needed. I’d assume harsh punishments for anyone trying to flout these rules.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I was under the impression that they in fact working on the 2 tests the quick and easy (relative) one which simply states you do/do not have COVID-19 and another one that determines if you have the antibodies ie have had COVID-19. The challenge being the second is more time and resource consuming than the first so we are currently focusing on the 1 test as it is easier and identifies the more immediate threat.

I suspect we will see the second test become more prevalent once new cases/deaths plateaus and your theory play out then, the thought of full lock down going on for +3 months is one I dont think any modern capitalist society can sustain so getting an "immune workforce" back does seem logical.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I was under the impression that they in fact working on the 2 tests the quick and easy (relative) one which simply states you do/do not have COVID-19 and another one that determines if you have the antibodies ie have had COVID-19. The challenge being the second is more time and resource consuming than the first so we are currently focusing on the 1 test as it is easier and identifies the more immediate threat.

I suspect we will see the second test become more prevalent once new cases/deaths plateaus and your theory play out then, the thought of full lock down going on for +3 months is one I dont think any modern capitalist society can sustain so getting an "immune workforce" back does seem logical.

Germany are planning on providing 100,000 of the “second” tests per day, starting any day now. They could be back on their feet much quicker than many other countries.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Germany are planning on providing 100,000 of the “second” tests per day, starting any day now. They could be back on their feet much quicker than many other countries.

Is the limitation production or the administration and assessment of the test?

Thinking it through I guess it's production as it would take far to much resource away from the front line so assume it's self administered??

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm assuming if you've had it you can't catch it again (your personal safety is fine) but how much less dangerous are you to others, as a carrier? (from touching objects, people coughing on you who have it etc)

This is my thought too, however, you could work with those who are infected and help them just so long as you have a complete change of clothes and shower as soon as you finish.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This will slowly become a more relevant thread.

News from Germany is that they will be giving people who test positive for antibodies some sort of Certificate of Immunity, I’m guessing to be presented to police or authorities where needed. I’d assume harsh punishments for anyone trying to flout these rules.

They need to be careful how they mark people out as " Immune " .

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Post Coronas. Think I’ve got their first album somewhere. It’s not bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's so much better than their difficult second album

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
I think I am post-Corona, and today was my first day out in 9 days. It felt really weird, but also liberating. I wondered how much of the protocol I actually needed to follow - but did anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here