Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League - Void or positions stand ?

What will Premier League do ?

• Null & Void

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Current Positions stand

Votes: 54 15.9%
  • Something else

Votes: 88 25.9%

• Total voters

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
FFS, I'm just trying to humour someone who sees things in very simple terms and now you're picking on me for it :shrug:

*edit*

I've just thought about it, and it's quite funny. Not the Liverpool thing, you having a pop at me. It was my own fault for being condescending :lolol:
You calling me simple? :wozza: :glare:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are we all assuming that the 2020/21 season will neatly start at the beginning of August?

The pandemic may well still be on then, with the UK’s staged spread of the disease deliberately lengthening the duration. Overseas players may spend their summer in nations peaking later on.

The short time span in Wuhan is false, with everyone confined to their homes and closed borders, enforced by a colossal military presence. Also meaning that those in neighbouring provinces aren’t getting the chance to naturally build antibodies.

Last edited:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Are we all assuming that the 2020/21 season will neatly start at the beginning of August?

The pandemic may well still be on then, with the UK’s staged spread of the disease deliberately lengthening the duration. Overseas players may spend their summer in nations peaking later on.

The short time span is Wuhan is false, with everyone confined to their homes and closed borders, enforced by a colossal military presence. Also meaning that those in neighbouring provinces aren’t getting the chance to naturally build antibodies.

This is a very good point. While there’s so much speculation about what to do with this season it is quite possible that both this and next season will be null and void. If there’s no opportunity to start football until, say, January 2021 then the following season is gone too.

So much speculation and little to be done aside from speculate. It’s tough.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Freeze the 2019/20 season now. Make the 2020/21 PL season a 19 game season, possibly starting late, plus the games outstanding from this season, with the table for 2020/21 starting in its current state. Ditto for the EFL, but 23 games. Liverpool, Leeds, WBA, etc. wouldn’t lose their current advantage, but admittedly teams would have more games to close the gap.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Spurs get back Kane, Son, Sissoko and Bergwijn.
Bmuff .... Brooks and Daniels.
Villa .... Heaton, Wesley and McGinn.

Big winners imho from an extended season. Complicated innit.

A further huge reason why Bloom and Barber will want an abandoned season a.s.a.p., with the blue-tinted goggles on.

Yes they may get them back but they will be far from match fit and you can't risk that with returning injured players.
In fact match fitness is a concern for all the players the longer it goes on unless they are continuing to train hard and play at least 1 full bloodied 90 minute match each week.
Give it to Liverpool, we stay up, Plymouth go up, it's a freak situation just put up with it and deal with it.
Start again in August.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
FFS, I'm just trying to humour someone who sees things in very simple terms and now you're picking on me for it :shrug:

*edit*

I've just thought about it, and it's quite funny. Not the Liverpool thing, you having a pop at me. It was my own fault for being condescending :lolol:

Ah, your condescension was too subtle for me although I wasn't having a pop. Just asking a startled question.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes they may get them back but they will be far from match fit and you can't risk that with returning injured players.
In fact match fitness is a concern for all the players the longer it goes on unless they are continuing to train hard and play at least 1 full bloodied 90 minute match each week.
Give it to Liverpool, we stay up, Plymouth go up, it's a freak situation just put up with it and deal with it.
Start again in August.

Wouldn’t a lack of match fitness be equal across all squads after a few months off for all?

I’m not so sure that the pandemic and its effects will be clear by August, and when preseason training resumes.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

The short time span in Wuhan is false, with everyone confined to their homes and closed borders, enforced by a colossal military presence. Also meaning that those in neighbouring provinces aren’t getting the chance to naturally build antibodies.

Indeed - the likes of Jermaine Jeans suggesting that the league is finished in June/July are WAY off the mark.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This season is done, I am pretty certain about that.

How they navigate around the consequences I don’t know but I am good with Liverpool getting the title, they are so far ahead.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Can't get over how funny it is that people think WBA and Leeds should be promoted when Fulham has to play them both. I'd be fuming if that happened and I was a Fulham fan.

Fulham have lost at home to Reading and Barnsley this calendar year. The fact that they still have to play away to Leeds and West Brom doesn't make a compelling case for re-starting the season in the distant future in the circumstances.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
How wide was your smile when typing that? Klopp will have more to moan about than anti football ( superb counter attacking to rest of us) .

attachment.php

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
These are unprecedented times.

It's harsh for the likes of Coventry, WBA, Leeds and Liverpool but you cannot just simply 'award' them trophies based on an incomplete season, no matter how convinced anyone is that it's written on the wall.

Moreover, you can't possibly relegate and promote teams based on their current standings, average PPM or after x amount of games because nobody can possibly know how it would play out.

There is enough disruption to the season ALREADY, without the coming weeks and months factored in. Just because a title race looks decided, doesn't mean to say that the other clubs striving for European places, or to survive, or gunning for promotion should just accept that the season is cut short and current positions stand.

The only option is to void it, and I think it will be done in due course.

Very good summary and by far the cleanest approach to dealing with the situation

It won't be that then.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
- suspend season until further notice
- move Euros to next summer
- use time where Euros would be to clear backlog
- set a date where if the situation is prolonged and the season cannot be completed in the extension then null and void season no promotions or relegations

Seems about right. I think the Premier League would want to finish the season behind closed doors if possible. Even a couple of days ago that may have looked viable.

However, given the latest forecasts of what’s to come, I’m not sure whether any of this will seem remotely important in a few weeks time and there’ll be an acceptance that the whole thing should be binned.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Current positions stand...
That's fine, let the positions stand, but with no relegation this year.

No team should be relegated without playing 38 games, and the integrity of the competition must be maintained over those 38 games.

On 30th of June, the integrity goes with some players out of contract and walking away.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I dont think it helps when senior people like Paul Barber and Karen Brady give there opinion on what should happen.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If the fixtures can’t be completed. Then this seasons PL should be void. They could award Liverpool with a trophy as recognition for their brilliant effort this season maybe a shield or something. They could call it the Victory And Recognition shield or the VAR shield for short.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here