Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League plans for the remainder of the season *** ALL FIXTURES POSTPONED 3rd April

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
According to The Times...

- The season will not be postponed, but all Premier League and Football League games will be played behind closed doors.

- All Premier League season ticket holders ,and ticket holders for individual matches will be able to stream coverage of games.

- No games will be shown in pubs to avoid people congregating.

- Premier League games will not be shown live in the 3pm slot on Saturday afternoons.

- Broadcasters will be permitted to screen more than one Premier League game during both the lunchtime and tea-time slots on Saturday and the scheduled slots on Sunday and Monday.​

Not sure I get the issue with the Saturday/3pm thing. If there is no live football going on anywhere, why couldn't it be shown?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Very strange re the 3pm thing. I still see this going the same way as Italy even if this weekend goes behind closed doors. There is no guarantee squads wont become compromised and at that point it wont be possible to maintain.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well my local regularly shows streamed 3pm games. And even if the Albion game is not on the big screens, some herbert has usually got a tablet propped up on the bar with the Albion game on (when we're away - I assume this is done for home games too, but then I wouldn't know as I'm not there).

So the 'pubs not congregating' idea is unlikely not to happen, to some extent.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not sure I get the issue with the Saturday/3pm thing. If there is no live football going on anywhere, why couldn't it be shown?

would need change of legislation. i've predicted televising of games would be a way to solve the issue of crowds, though dont see how they can control streaming much less stop pubs showing. just put it on terrestrial and be done with it.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I can’t find this anywhere but here? Surely NSC hasn’t broken the news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Perhaps the header could include “according to The Times”

That was my first thought. Martin Hardy is a Newcastle-based freelancer and is not exactly famed throughout the industry as a regular setter of the news agenda. That said, anyone can get a call from a friend in the know ...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can’t find this anywhere but here? Surely NSC hasn’t broken the news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's tomorrow's back page of The Times.

ES3MQSpU4AIxieP.jpeg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've never known things so up in the air. This time last night I was convinced Saturdays game was binned. Then after Arsenal's statement about players reporting back for Friday in prep I thought oh, ok. Now I'm even less certain, its changing almost hourly. Its at the stage now where I won't be convinced this game is on until confirmation on Saturday morning. Between now and then, I'm just waiting on an announcement.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't think games will be called off until a player is confirmed as having the virus. After that, who knows?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sounds like the government won't want anyone going to pubs.

They pay a lot for Sky and BT. Presumably someone will have to give them refunds?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Interesting that the bbc website report on ramping up suggests the stopping of large gatherings is thought to be unlikely at this stage

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How will they determine whether someone is a season or match ticket holder and therefore able to stream the footage? It would be absolutely impossible for them to set this up in time. Should just make it a free for all. Broadcasters would benefit from the advertising revenue.

Also doesn't solve the issue of the players contracting it from close physical contact with other players.

All seems unfeasable to me. Postponement or cancellation are the only real options.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Time to just bin off the domestic season across all leagues and look to start afresh in August. A season completed behind closed doors (even if they are able to do so, which I doubt) is no season at all.

Just 'Red Flag' it like a Formula One race.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
How on earth was the Cheltenham festival deemed OK to go ahead but football matches are to be fan free, ridiculous.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Surely if this was credible then Sky Sports News would be all over it with it being the breaking news. Sky Sports News usually seem on the ball and the fact they are not even mentioning it leaves me to believe that there is not a lot in this story.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How on earth was the Cheltenham festival deemed OK to go ahead but football matches are to be fan free, ridiculous.

It's a rapidly moving thing (exponential growth - who knew?) but I had already thought Gold Cup day must be in doubt now. They might get away with tomorrow though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here