Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Base rate cut.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
That’ll help those with shitloads, to accrue more shitloads then. How about a tax cut, or a business rate rebate? No chance.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I’m taking out my savings and going to spend it on a cruise, pasta and toilet rolls

Last place I'd want to be right now is on a cruise ship.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hmm, all announced early on Budget Day...........

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why ? I get it if someone's on a fixed rate mortgage but why would a standard rate not drop ?

most standard rates have already hit their floor. no real point to this cut as it wont go through to the economy and there is not a demand problem that lower rates can stimulate. i was expecting it to hit £ but so far no impact.

expect a quite loose budget coming later, this didnt happen today by chance.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good news for those on variable and tracker rates depending on how much each lender passes on. Tracker rates will fall but some have a floor. They may take it as an opportunity to boost the very fine profit margins on mortgages re variable rates and overall profitability. Not much difference to fixed rates which are ridiculously low as it is

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Good news for those on variable and tracker rates depending on how much each lender passes on. Tracker rates will fall but some have a floor. They may take it as an opportunity to boost the very fine profit margins on mortgages re variable rates and overall profitability. Not much difference to fixed rates which are ridiculously low as it is

Just about to get a new mortgage, would probably go for a 2/5 year fixed, how long will any decrease in rates take to come into affect with this drop?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just about to get a new mortgage, would probably go for a 2/5 year fixed, how long will any decrease in rates take to come into affect with this drop?

Please PM me and I can have a look for you. Fixed rates are so low, 1.19% for a 2 year and 1.5% for a 5 year depending on deposit I cannot see much of the 0.5% cut being passed on. They make very little from the interest rate, most make some money with the arrangement fee they charge usually £ 995 but varies. Trackers have been higher than fixed rates as lenders factored in a rate cut but most expected 0.25%

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here