Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Man City v Arsenal called off due to Corona Virus.....

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very much so. I can't see why that game would be binned whilst ours against them goes ahead. Expect an announcement in the morning.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The game v Olympiakos was 13 days ago, so the Arsenal players who met him / sat near him will stay home till this Thursday, as the 2 weeks will then be up and will then be free to rejoin their team mates.

Still can't see our game going ahead though.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Have they actually been tested?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So my guess, pulled out of my ass, is that they just got tested/are getting tomorrow and possibly wont have the results from these tests in time for the Man City game.

But if all the tests turn out negative perhaps the game on Saturday is on?

Not that it matters... if I ignore my football addiction for a moment and look at this soberly, there is absolutely no chance this season can continue.

Its over, if not this week then next. But I think in 24 or 48h confirmed cases in England will be at least the double to what they are now and if that is correct, the current PL standings are also the final.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So my guess, pulled out of my ass, is that they just got tested/are getting tomorrow and possibly wont have the results from these tests in time for the Man City game.

Not that it matters... if I ignore my football addiction for a moment and look at this soberly, there is absolutely no chance this season can continue.

Its over, if not this week then next. But I think in 24 or 48h confirmed cases in England will be at least the double to what they are now and if that is correct, the current PL standings are also the final.

In Italy they are saying Serie A will probably not be completed, even in empty stadiums, and are discussing whether the current positions should stand or have just a few play off games to decide promotion/ relegation. If current positions are to stand, teams will have to have completed the same number of games. At the moment, Villa have a game in hand so could still save themselves, but I don't imagine any such decision would be made for a few weeks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In Italy they are saying Serie A will probably not be completed, even in empty stadiums, and are discussing whether the current positions should stand or have just a few play off games to decide promotion/ relegation. If current positions are to stand, teams will have to have completed the same number of games. At the moment, Villa have a game in hand so could still save themselves, but I don't imagine any such decision would be made for a few weeks.

If you mean that the decision to postpone or cancel the season wont happen for several weeks, I think thats very optimistic and unlikely. The decision about the leagues final standings would indeed probably take weeks or months - I could see PL clubs and top/bottom Championship clubs sharpening their lawyers.

Dont know how it works after Brexit but in the EU you can sue because of "missed income" and could easily see WBA/Leeds doing that if PL decided to cancel the season and relegate/promote no-one. Similarly I think the bottom three teams would do likewise if current standings were to be final.

Either way its likely to get very messy and next season, whenever that is, could be a quite weird one.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland

What is the possibility of Just the Brighton v Arsenal game being posponed.

Bournemouth & West Ham could well win their games on Saturday & go above us.

Then next week a decision is made to postpone/ cancel all games. How can it be fair to then play your game in hand against a mid table team with nothing to play for.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
If you mean that the decision to postpone or cancel the season wont happen for several weeks, I think thats very optimistic and unlikely. The decision about the leagues final standings would indeed probably take weeks or months - I could see PL clubs and top/bottom Championship clubs sharpening their lawyers.

Dont know how it works after Brexit but in the EU you can sue because of "missed income" and could easily see WBA/Leeds doing that if PL decided to cancel the season and relegate/promote no-one. Similarly I think the bottom three teams would do likewise if current standings were to be final.

Either way its likely to get very messy and next season, whenever that is, could be a quite weird one.

Someone else on one of these threads suggested not relegating anyone, but promoting Leeds and WBA, just having a slightly larger PL next year. I suppose we'd have to let Liverpool have their champions trophy. It'll be impossible to please everyone, someone's going to lose out and not be happy, let's hope people can just be philosophical about it and take any disappointment on the chin.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Someone else on one of these threads suggested not relegating anyone, but promoting Leeds and WBA, just having a slightly larger PL next year. I suppose we'd have to let Liverpool have their champions trophy. It'll be impossible to please everyone, someone's going to lose out and not be happy, let's hope people can just be philosophical about it and take any disappointment on the chin.

Wolves still being made to travel to play Olympiakos (behind closed doors).

All very bizarre - but overall this season is absolutely fecked.

It just will not be finished

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

Current PL standings final?:D

There would be legal challenges and rightly so. Aston Villa would have the strongest case as they have a game in hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here