Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] The satisfactory completion of a job outside of your comfort zone

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is rather rewarding, isn't it?

Not being particularly Alpha (and somewhat intimidated by my 'this afternoon I'm going to build an office in my garden' neighbour) it's rare that I embark on a task, with everything required ready, a clear understanding of what needs to be done and most crucially of all, it going pretty much too plan.

Sure the 5 minute job took about 3 hours, but old Mickey 'Magnolia' Angelo, didn't hurry perfection so why should I?

Anyone else recently spent back from a task and thought:-

'Shiver me timbers, I've done a bloody good job on that'.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sometimes, just sometimes I swear that you are Timmy! :ohmy:

That's not very nice. :down:

I'm trying to move us on from the sniffles, never scoring another goal, weird maths and slagging off Solly and that's all the thanks I get.

I was expecting a deluge of heroic boys-own tales of dare do and fence panels, but instead get likened to Timmy.
Double :down:

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

I'm trying to move us on from the sniffles, never scoring another goal, weird maths and slagging off Solly and that's all the thanks I get.

I was expecting a deluge of heroic boys-own tales of dare do and fence panels, but instead get likened to Timmy.

To quote Stat Brother: ”are you new here?”

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Is rather rewarding, isn't it?

Not being particularly Alpha (and somewhat intimidated by my 'this afternoon I'm going to build an office in my garden' neighbour) it's rare that I embark on a task, with everything required ready, a clear understanding of what needs to be done and most crucially of all, it going pretty much too plan.

Sure the 5 minute job took about 3 hours, but old Mickey 'Magnolia' Angelo, didn't hurry perfection so why should I?

Anyone else recently spent back from a task and thought:-

'Shiver me timbers, I've done a bloody good job on that'.

Pictures or it didn't happen

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Assumed the thread was going to be about an Albion player scoring a goal..

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I am the least DIY'er or mechanical person on the planet. About 20 years ago I took a WEEK, yes a WEEK, off work to box in some pipe work for a house I was selling. A few days in and after several screw ups I sat looking at a job well done, and yes, you've guess it, one or two of the screw heads looked just a tad, and I mean a tad, higher than they should be to allow me to start filling the little screw holes and painting the box that now housed the pipes.

So, I turned the second to last screw and 90 or 180 degrees and BOOM .... water everywhere.

I ran downstairs and turned off the water and sat and realised I was right, I should never be doing this sh!t. Bloke turned up, puts some sort of sleeve thing on it and I flogged the bloody house, never again have I tried anything similar.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

:lolol: I mean no harm Stat. A slow Corona Virus news day brings out the bad in me. :wink:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I’ve recently started making wooden kids toys, and I must admit, I’m rather proud of this one.

That sounds intresting I decided to not buy presents last Christmas but instead I made all the family oak chopping boards and for next year I was planning tree ornaments and woodern toys for the children, I would be interested to see what you have made?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have re-felted a shed roof, and know how to re-pressurise a boiler. I understand to most those don't sound impressive at all.

I am a very unpractical man, who comes from a line of unpractical men. Both moments made me feel like a right faaaaackin gweeeeza.

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
In the last couple of weeks I have rebeaded a wooden exterior window (i think thats the right terminology?), unplugged an exterior drain, re-felted a shed roof and fixed a dishwasher. All jobs in the past I would have called someone out to do. I am not a particularly practical person so yes I feel slightly chuffed with myself.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Replaced the shed roof, and built three different decking areas - but not too BOTHERED about that sort of stuff, because working with wood and screws and that, seems entirely logical.

However, a couple of years back we had a toilet that wouldn't flush properly. The INTERNET taught me that something called the DIAPHRAGM was damaged, within the cistern and needed changing. I managed to buy a pack of these things for about a quid, and carefully following the INTERNET'S guidance, had it fully working in a couple of hours. I was WELL CHUFFED.

Last week I connected up and fitted a built-in dishwasher - I'd been putting it off for months because I am terrified of anything pipes / water related. Decent

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I never got back to my moment of glory. (I always think brevity is best, in an opening post)

Thanks to Ebay and Youtube, for the tidy sum of just £42, over the course of last night and this morning, myself and Jnr:-

- Removed the central console of my 'new' car.
- Removed the tatty looking heating control panel.
- Replaced the back bulbs in the 'new' panel.
- Reconnected said panel (added bonus of checking everything worked before putting it all back)
- Removed the old gramophone player.
- Installed a windscreen DAB aerial.
- Installed my old, but new, DAB wireless.
- Put everything back together again.

No 'spare' screws, no rattles, nothing 'loose'.

I'm pretty sure that's a first for me, hence the rather strange feelings which I assume must have been what you call Pride.

Sure I left the inside light on all last night and had a flat battery this morning, but hey there's nothing wrong with being a Persian Rug!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Pathetic the lot of you :laugh::wozza:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
The satisfactory completion of a job outside of your comfort zone

I can't seem to do the @ user tagging thing but

Paging [MENTION=34997]Your Mum[/MENTION]

Oh, maybe I can.