Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Good to see our favourite ref got another one wrong

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I thought aguerro’s goal disallowed by V****INGA****INGR was far too close to call and should have stood.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm sure the United fans are filled with rage and hate right now.

:lolol:

Some of our supporters still sweat the small stuff.

But, in fairness to them (us), small stuff is all we had till fairly recently. You probably don't know that ???

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought aguerro’s goal disallowed by V****INGA****INGR was far too close to call and should have stood.

Agree.

Clear blue daylight, please (said it before, will be saying it again and again).

Today the unholy combination of narcissistic referee and cretinous YTS VAR operatives ruled Aguero's HAND to be offside with respect to the defender's COCK (and not the defender's foot, which was playing all the bits Aguero could have scored with, legally, onside). There is nothing, NOTHING right about any of that. Fact.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My least favourite assistant ref (the one with the ponytail) got one wrong too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We could do with some of the luck United have been getting

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Did you do any research into Swansea before following them? Or did you just rock up there and tell them what it's all about too?

We clearly didn't read the small print Swansea insisted on adding to Potter's severance package.

Fingers crossed Mr Bloom can dupe the next poor sap in the chain.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Clear pen for Man U and he booked Fred for diving...

It did raise a really interesting VAR question however...

So VAR reviewed the penalty shout and would have seen the contact. However while they had discretion over the penalty, they couldn't tell the referee to rescind the yellow card (which would have been the right thing to do regardless of whether you concluded it was an actual penalty or not). Had the player got a 2nd yellow, that would have been a real injustice in the game given they would have been down to 10 from a first yellow that shouldn't have happened which VAR would have known.:shrug:

It really is a mess of a system and set of rules.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

So VAR reviewed the penalty shout and would have seen the contact. However while they had discretion over the penalty, they couldn't tell the referee to rescind the yellow card (which would have been the right thing to do regardless of whether you concluded it was an actual penalty or not). Had the player got a 2nd yellow, that would have been a real injustice in the game given they would have been down to 10 from a first yellow that shouldn't have happened which VAR would have known.:shrug:

It would have taken Dean 30 secs to check the monitor and realise that he’d made a mistake. Looked like a dive at the time but a clear pen when you see it back. That’s what I thought VAR would’ve sorted out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It would have taken Dean 30 secs to check the monitor and realise that he’d made a mistake. Looked like a dive at the time but a clear pen when you see it back. That’s what I thought VAR would’ve sorted out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

VAR (which I support) will never work consistently till all refs are made to look at the evidence, or until someone in the VAR room makes all the decisions. All the while referees are allowed to exercise their own judgement (the much cherished and defended inviolate supremacy of the official on the pitch) we will get 'decisions' like this. Especially with an ego-tripping narcissistic Jasper Carrott lookalike, such as....Dean.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s the obsession in the VAR room of “clear and obvious”. Taking that to the letter of the law and beyond, if there’s the slightest possibility that the ref might’ve been correct, they don’t contradict their mate.

It’s madness. They should have the remit and the backbone to make the right corrective decision.

I’ve said it before, in Rugby Union and Cricket the reviewer has that remit, they emphatically and clearly use it, and the ref values the help.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
VAR (which I support) will never work consistently till all refs are made to look at the evidence, or until someone in the VAR room makes all the decisions. All the while referees are allowed to exercise their own judgement (the much cherished and defended inviolate supremacy of the official on the pitch) we will get 'decisions' like this. Especially with an ego-tripping narcissistic Jasper Carrott lookalike, such as....Dean.

Totally agree. Managers, players, supporters and commentators with guts, spent years lambasting officials such as Atkinson and Friend for their incompetence, errors and one-eyed performances. Teams losing vital fixtures.

I still don’t want them to have that supremacy. Too many errors, and seemingly arrogant with it at times.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It’s the obsession in the VAR room of “clear and obvious”. Taking that to the letter of the law and beyond, if there’s the slightest possibility that the ref might’ve been correct, they don’t contradict their mate.

It’s madness. They should have the remit and the backbone to make the right corrective decision.

I’ve said it before, in Rugby Union and Cricket the reviewer has that remit, they emphatically and clearly use it, and the ref values the help.

The point I was trying to make though wasn't about the penalty. I'm okay with that not being deemed clear and obvious. My frustration with VAR is that in reviewing the penalty it clearly wasn't a dive but there was no mechanism to rescind the yellow card. Had he got a 2nd yellow, he would have been sent off, which VAR would have allowed incorrectly.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The point I was trying to make though wasn't about the penalty. I'm okay with that not being deemed clear and obvious. My frustration with VAR is that in reviewing the penalty it clearly wasn't a dive but there was no mechanism to rescind the yellow card. Had he got a 2nd yellow, he would have been sent off, which VAR would have allowed incorrectly.

Expanding the discussion, on the subject of cards and bans, VAR at times makes it worse.

Lo Celso escaped any punishment from the match day officials for his disgraceful stamp at Stamford Bridge a fortnight ago. Regarded by all pundits and writers as violent conduct.

The new thing, because the VAR official backed the ref, there could be no re-examination by the FA afterwards. The VAR official released a statement mid match that he’d blundered. Pre-VAR, the FA would’ve charged Lo Celso the next day and a minimum three game ban would’ve followed.

Pathetic by the authorities. Just because there’s purportedly two bites of the cherry on each incident, they should not have taken away the opportunity for an independent look at unpunished violence etc post match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here