Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If we stay which CBs will be with us next season?

KoreanSeagull

Dec 1, 2019
Not North
Dan Burn / Lewis Dunk / Ben White / Shane Duffy / Adam Webster / Matt Clarke / Leon Balogun

I think we should keep all except Balogun, ( maybe Clarke on another loan if thats the case ) but assume either Dunk or White will depart.

So going with Burn White Duffy Webster Clarke.

Duffy has a chance to move too if the current situation continues. But really hope him to stay.

Attachments

• Dunk'n'_Duffy.jpg
    Dunk'n'_Duffy.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 496

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Duffy will move on.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
How many of those will stick around if we go down?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe convert Solly to centre back, he's shitehouse everywhere else - am I right!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I'm not sure the club see BDB as a centre back due to the fact he hardly ever plays there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Really hard to predict, obviously.

I think Duffy is leaving, perhaps to a freshly promoted team or to one of the Glasgow teams. Dunk could leave to be a homegrown backup at i.e. City, but I think he stays unless relegated. Webster is probably staying no matter what. Balogun leaves of course. Dan Burn probably wont be the no 1 left back after another transfer window, could see him playing a lot more CB next year. Clarke... another loan seems likely, he's been pretty good recently. Ben White... I think we want him to stay but that he wants to join Leeds if they go up, and as long as Potter is in charge only players that want to play for Brighton will be part of the squad.

My guess

If PL: Dunk, Webster, Burn, new signing + possibly Clarke, Östigård or White

If Championship: Webster, Clarke, Östigård, Roberts. Maybe Duffy.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Throw Ostigard into the mix who's been earning great reviews at St Pauli for his performances.

I can see Duffy, Balogun and possibly White moving on. The latter, depends which league we find ourselves in. If the worst happens and the biggest club in the world get promoted, the chances of keeping him are slim I would suspect.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Let Balogun go, another season loan for Clarke... Keep Dunk, Duffy, Burn, Webster, White.

I think the real defensive changes next season could come at full back. Schelotto could go, Montoya's perfromances have been up & down, & Lamptey will push for the right back position. With Bong now gone & Burn not really being your tradition full back type of player we could see another left back come in.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm not sure the club see BDB as a centre back due to the fact he hardly ever plays there.

While he isnt slow when he gets going, his acceleration and slow turning would make him vulnerable as a central defender in a four man backline. He could probably play as left CB in a three CB defense though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
In my ideal Albion world, we'd reinstate the tried and trusted Dunk-Duffy combo and build from there. And if that meant having to dispense with the risky and meaningless fannying around at the back, then that would be a win-win IMHO

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Duffy awesome but should be moved on if get a fair offer due to style. Balogun I think ties cut too already. Will want to start somewhere at this stage as not been regular 3rd choice type role. Both fair enough and wish them well.

Would rather loan out the youngsters than sell.

Dunk, Webster, White with Burn as a 4th option should really be fine.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
In my ideal Albion world, we'd reinstate the tried and trusted Dunk-Duffy combo and build from there. And if that meant having to dispense with the risky and meaningless fannying around at the back, then that would be a win-win IMHO

You should have said this before, instead of sitting on the fence :wink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You should have said this before, instead of sitting on the fence :wink:

Did you happen to see the first Chelsea goal v Liverpool in the FA Cup match the other day? That's classic Fannying Around At The Back right there. It's not a case of IF but WHEN that happens to the Albion. Long overdue already :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Did you happen to see the first Chelsea goal v Liverpool in the FA Cup match the other day? That's classic Fannying Around At The Back right there. It's not a case of IF but WHEN that happens to the Albion. Long overdue already :wink:

But I thought Webster was ensuring game on game, that the odds of further 'fannying around cock-ups' remained constant ???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The "fannying around at the back" is here to stay and every manager will do it in a year or two, the data revolution and the goal kick rule change is going to make the long kick more or less extinct except for some niche teams.

And yes, its both incredible and great that we havent conceded like that yet and it will indeed happen. Its still preferable to the amount of goals you let in from having your goalkeeper give away possession 60% of the times with long kicks.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Balogun is clearly leaving at the end of his contract this summer.

I think Duffy will move on to a new challenge.

Dunk and White - depends on the bids. They would have to be very substantial.

The rest should stay.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
The "fannying around at the back" is here to stay and every manager will do it in a year or two, the data revolution and the goal kick rule change is going to make the long kick more or less extinct except for some niche teams.

And yes, its both incredible and great that we havent conceded like that yet and it will indeed happen. Its still preferable to the amount of goals you let in from having your goalkeeper give away possession 60% of the times with long kicks.

Much as I agree with the principles of what you say, I'm afraid we have, and it was Webster, but I'm struggling to remember which game

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here