Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] First new music since 2007 (not Genesis) !

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No apologies for another music thread on a matchday. One of my favourite bands. I give you The Dixie Chicks.They waited 13 years until they had something to say and this is worth the wait. Lyrically so powerful that Natalie Maines ex-husband allegedly tried to block the release on the grounds of protecting his privacy. Musically it's catchier than an Icelandic Song for Europe and I love it when Natalie sings angry. Liar Liar Liar. If you aren't tapping your foot by the end and singing the Gaslighter chorus after it finishes, you ain't got no musical soul! Can't wait for the new album.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
My favourite left-wing US country act. :thumbsup:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No apologies for another music thread on a matchday. One of my favourite bands. I give you The Dixie Chicks.They waited 13 years until they had something to say and this is worth the wait. Lyrically so powerful that Natalie Maines ex-husband allegedly tried to block the release on the grounds of protecting his privacy. Musically it's catchier than an Icelandic Song for Europe and I love it when Natalie sings angry. Liar Liar Liar. If you aren't tapping your foot by the end and singing the Gaslighter chorus after it finishes, you ain't got no musical soul! Can't wait for the new album.

It is not bad, and good subject matter, but the chorus sounds to pop, it should actually be punchier I think to get her message across.
This is modern country though, so it does not have that edge anymore, more aiming for the mass market and record sales.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Love the dixie chicks. I downloaded that song as soon as I discovered it Wednesday night. Listened to it a lot this morning. They are great at making punchy songs like this out of similar subject matter (see also goodbye earl, not ready to make nice)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[tweet]1276185766612201475[/tweet]

Album now due out 17th July.

And they've dropped 'Dixie' from their names, now going by 'The Chicks'

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Isn’t that just an even more demeaning word for women? And the Little Feat album that inspired their name should also be banned, along with any song that has the word “Dixie” in it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Isn’t that just an even more demeaning word for women? And the Little Feat album that inspired their name should also be banned, along with any song that has the word “Dixie” in it.

a) Their name hasn't been banned, they have chosen to change it out of respect for the impact the word now has. So the Dixie Chicken song doesn't need to be banned.Whether Little feat want to rename it, or ask people not to play it, or whether other people (radio stations etc) choose not to play it for the same consideration, that is up to them.

b) If they have chosen the name for themselves, it is not about being demeaned, it is about taking power back. If they are asking us to call them 'The Chicks', then how is it demeaning to do so?

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
a) Their name hasn't been banned, they have chosen to change it out of respect for the impact the word now has. So the Dixie Chicken song doesn't need to be banned.Whether Little feat want to rename it, or ask people not to play it, or whether other people (radio stations etc) choose not to play it for the same consideration, that is up to them.

b) If they have chosen the name for themselves, it is not about being demeaned, it is about taking power back. If they are asking us to call them 'The Chicks', then how is it demeaning to do so?

You have just proven the point I was somewhat facetiously trying to make.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

How? Are you suggesting if they can reclaim 'chicks' they can reclaim 'Dixie'? Because 'Dixie' has racist connotation relating to the confederacy, which means white women can't reclaim that word in the way they can reclaim 'chicks' which has misogynistic connotations. It is about the subjects reclaiming the word, not anyone who wants to.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

How? Are you suggesting if they can reclaim 'chicks' they can reclaim 'Dixie'? Because 'Dixie' has racist connotation relating to the confederacy, which means white women can't reclaim that word in the way they can reclaim 'chicks' which has misogynistic connotations. It is about the subjects reclaiming the word, not anyone who wants to.

Beginning to regret starting this thread:lol:

But thanks for posting the new song. Powerful stuff.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City

My point was “how the f**k can anyone take this sh* t seriously” anymore. But judging by your convoluted comments it’s possible I may have accidentally touched a nerve. Sorry about that.

Or else I’ve just been seriously “whooshed”?

Besides, girls shouldn’t be allowed to have their own bands anyway.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
My point was “how the f**k can anyone take this sh* t seriously” anymore. But judging by your convoluted comments it’s possible I may have accidentally touched a nerve. Sorry about that.

Or else I’ve just been seriously “whooshed”?

Besides, girls shouldn’t be allowed to have their own bands anyway.

No nerve touched. I just didn't understand how what I said proved anything based on your original post or what your original point was.

I don't think anyone was calling for them to change their name. It wasn't high on anyone's list of grievances (much like Lady Antebellum who rebranded as Lady A - then it was revealed there was an african american musician who went by the name Lady A, I've not heard if the band have changed their name again). It is largely symbolic, I suppose, but yeah, a lot of people take it seriously. PhD theses, and careers are based on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here