Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What is the most that would you pay for a concert ticket

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
and to see whom? Maybe you have already paid an obscene amount, who was that to see?

Looking at the price of tickets to see half a band of old men who have reformed made me wonder on this.

I’d go to £100 to see Neil Young (another old man) as long as it wasn’t a massive venue. That’s it

Oh, and HWT just don’t post footage of some mega obscure band who 99% of us haven’t heard of please :wink:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I start getting short of breath over £50. I don't like stadiums and arenas but I'll go if it's my only option. Brighton Dome, Brixton Academy, Sheffield Leadmill, Leeds Brudenell Social Club all perfect venues and always priced modestly.

I will go deep for the theatre/opera/west end though. Bloody expensive no matter where you go.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I spent a number of hundred pounds to see the Led Zep show in 2007, the money was donated to REMF as another NSCer was successful in securing tickets via the ballot and offered his spare in exchange for a donation to the fund. To this day it was one of the most amazing gigs I’ve ever been too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just remembered that I was bullied into buying tickets with a meal for the Rod Stewart concert at the Amex. My outstanding memory was how fecking long it took me to get home afterwards. Money wasted, brownie points gained. From memory about £150 a ticket.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For a single gig I paid around 300 euros to see u2 perform The Joshua Tree a few years back. Saw them do a regular arena show the year before for 200. Metallica were a 100. Nick Cave just talking was quite expensive as well.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
A poor student working a summer job Stateside in 1989, I paid $500 (just about everything I had) for a pair of tickets for The Who doing Tommy at Radio City Music Hall as they weren’t selling singles, then sold one outside the venue to a tout (sorry) for $300, so worked out $200 for one ticket, which was still a fair whack back then, but I was an absolute Who nut. For that gig top single seats were going for thousands, even back then.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Most I've spent was £110 last June for Metallica at Twickenham. Not ideal as huge venue but one of my favourite bands who might not be around for much longer.

With artists making less money from music sales they all seem to have upped the price of gig tickets.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I've paid 148 Euros to see Elton John in Dublin December 2020 thats the face value not from a tout site and right at the back. It's bloody ridiculous

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Most I've spent - by several hundred country miles - was £125 a ticket for 2 tickets for Led Zep at the O2. Seeing as how I got ludicrously lucky in the mother of all ticket ballots, would have been extremely rude not to have gone and not to have offered up the chance to somebody else to go

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Broadly speaking about £75 is all I'm willing to pay. I know gigs in large venues such as the O2 charge far more but I'm not personally prepared to pay a small fortune to watch a band from the next postcode or on the video screens. I have done a few like the O2 in the past but the experiences in such huge places is pretty soulless to me.

Have done over 60 gigs in the last 2 years and nearly all in Brighton at the Concorde / Komedia / Dome / The Old Market / a couple of churches / several pubs such as The Hope & Ruin & The Prince Albert / and Brighton Centre with The National costing me the most at about £40. Also at many of the smaller gigs you get to meet many of the artists after the gig if you hang around like I did with Wolf Alice a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
For a single gig I paid around 300 euros to see u2 perform The Joshua Tree a few years back. Saw them do a regular arena show the year before for 200. Metallica were a 100. Nick Cave just talking was quite expensive as well.

Time spent with Nick Cave in the room is value for money no matter the cost.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I’ve just paid £60 to see Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin at the Dome this May.
Good value I thought.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The most for a single artist was about £50 for Morrissey @ The Troxy Ballroom, East London in 2009

I mainly watch shite bands, which is a bonus for the wallet, most gigs I go to are about £15-£20 for about three bands, However I tend to go festivals now in Europe, over two or five days and they cost between £60-£100 a ticket for about 20/30 shit Psychobilly bands.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I was well pissed off in the 90s when I ended up paying a fiver once to get onto glasto as some gang had declared a hole under the fence as theirs . That seemed a lot..

Now id pay 75 to 100ish if it was something I really wanted to see , heritage orchestra maybe. Other than that, prefer open mic sessions and the like so a few quid in a bucket

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Another for not enjoying huge stadium/O2 gigs and prefer smaller venues. Probably most I'd pay is £150 for Kraftwerk and preferably a lot less.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I paid £250 to see Neil Young at The Hammersmith Odeon. My ticket was in Row 'B' of the stalls. Dead centre. There was no row 'A'. 80 % of the concert was rubbish! He played 'Greendale' in it's entirety. The audience were horrified to hear this previously unheard banal collection of songs, although one track was quite good. He then did a greatest hits selection that was completely and utterly sublime. It was like seeing him in your living room. I have no regrets about going, I just wish that he was promoting a decent album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here