Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Apollo 11 [Netflix]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What a stunning remastering of footage, some previously unseen of the Apollo 11 mission. Sticks you right into the heart of it. No narration, just transmissions and original sounds. It's a real cinematic experience. Loved it. Well worth a weekend watch. I've watched a lot of documentaries and such about the mission, but this is just so relaxing. If you like Public Service Broadcasting, it is a bit like their 'The Race for Space' album but a film about this one mission.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Glad someone else has posted this. I never got to the Imax on it’s limited release and was worried it wouldn’t translate to the small screen which it really has.

It’s opened all kinds of questions for me on the physical process of swapping from analogue 35mm to UHD 4K and how any gaps/spots/pops from the film are re-detailed.

At a more esoteric level it again, like most things Apollo related, it shows up what a hope filled can do attitude this whole time had.

I’m not one for being unnecessarily pro-America but that post war developmental boom really could do with being re-imagined globally now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
What a stunning remastering of footage, some previously unseen of the Apollo 11 mission. Sticks you right into the heart of it. No narration, just transmissions and original sounds. It's a real cinematic experience. Loved it. Well worth a weekend watch. I've watched a lot of documentaries and such about the mission, but this is just so relaxing. If you like Public Service Broadcasting, it is a bit like their 'The Race for Space' album but a film about this one mission.

If you loved this then you also need to listen to 13 minutes to the moon on BBC sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
got to see it at the View, Lewes.

First time I've sat in the middle seat in the front row since going to see Flash Gordon when I was 10. Similarly awesome.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Finally got around to watching this last night (on Amazon Prime).

Every bit as good as everyone says.

Watched again with the kids today. And I'll probably watch again with their grandparents.

Just mind-blowing that it was more than 50 years ago. I'm writing this on a computer with more capacity that every computer used on the mission.

AND we get to watch in HD when everyone at the time saw it very low-res black & white.

And the spacecraft look SO flimsy. Just amazing.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
processors were 80386's then - and probably still are (due to danger of more modern processors being vulnerable size wise)

I don't think that is correct. Apologies 11 was 1969. The first microprocessor was 1971. I worked with the 8086 around 1980 - 81. Then came the 186 and 286. Apollo spacecraft used mainly discrete transistors then. But true, they had far less processing power than today's washing machines. Code, if any was written in assembler or machine code to minimise the storage needed and ensure commands were carried out within fixed time constraints.

Early computers had very small amounts of memory, typically less than a single photo uses today.

Those were the days!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I find the entire Apollo project incredible.

But most people just don’t get it, they have no interest. The BBC showed some great documentaries a few years back on an anniversary of the first moon landing. All my work colleagues thought it all uninteresting.

The Cape Kennedy Space Centre is well worth a visit, we we lucky enough to go there three years, timed with an actual rocket launch.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Going in May and have told the wife and kids if they don’t want to go I’m going by myself. I actually watched that doc yesterday as well having already seen it when it was launched. Simply incredible! That 3 point turn on the way was mind blowing stuff.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

But most people just don’t get it, they have no interest. The BBC showed some great documentaries a few years back on an anniversary of the first moon landing. All my work colleagues thought it all uninteresting.

The Cape Kennedy Space Centre is well worth a visit, we we lucky enough to go there three years, timed with an actual rocket launch.

I also think that one of the Apollo missions' greatest achievments was what ordinarily would be considered its biggest disaster or failure, which was Apollo 13.

While all the other missions went relatively smoothly (as far as I am aware) the problems and near tragedy which was averted by all involved was for me a real triumph over adversity.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Your work colleagues are fools.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
For those with an interest in the subject, check out "Last Man on the Moon" also on Netflix . It's a documentary about Gene Cernan, who walked on the Moon as part of the Apollo 17 mission, and is, as the title suggests, currently the last person to have done so.

As far as KSC goes, we visited in 2015 and absolutely loved it. My partner is involved in space-related research in his job, and has always had an interest in spaceflight, particularly the Shuttle era, so it was a no-brainer. We did a bus tour out to the launch pads and the VAB, which I highly recommend. We're going back to Florida next year and it's already on the to-do list.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
For those with an interest in the subject, check out "Last Man on the Moon" also on Netflix . It's a documentary about Gene Cernan, who walked on the Moon as part of the Apollo 17 mission, and is, as the title suggests, currently the last person to have done so.

As far as KSC goes, we visited in 2015 and absolutely loved it. My partner is involved in space-related research in his job, and has always had an interest in spaceflight, particularly the Shuttle era, so it was a no-brainer. We did a bus tour out to the launch pads and the VAB, which I highly recommend. We're going back to Florida next year and it's already on the to-do list.

Hmm. I’m flying to the US today for a whistle stop tour round customers and partners. I’ve been told that Microsoft have closed their HQ (Covid-19), so I’m unlikely be flying out West. That could give me a day off in Miami. 3:15 hour drive to KSC. Hmm.

Time for Google.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Saw this at the pictures. It’s very, very good.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The moon would be a lot more exciting and worth exploring if it was more earth like, sea, forests, an atmosphere. It’s just rock and dust.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
The moon would be a lot more exciting and worth exploring if it was more earth like, sea, forests, an atmosphere. It’s just rock and dust.

I fear you are missing the point here... No one is interested in exploring the moon. But the achievement of humans landing on it (and returning safely) - mindblowing!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I fear you are missing the point here... No one is interested in exploring the moon. But the achievement of humans landing on it (and returning safely) - mindblowing!

A greater achievement would be if you could join NSC Weakest Link Relays again this June!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here