Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are you able to do mental arithmetic as good as Americans?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As Bloomberg spent $500,000,000, on his Presidential campaign.
While the American population is approximately 347,000,000.

How much money could MB have given to each American?:-

I bet you don't have the same answer as these two

[tweet]1235805267167604736[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
America's version of Diane Abbott?

What, the white male interviewer who did the calculation and came up with the same answer as the woman who happens to be black? ??? :shrug:

Have you got an issue with black women or what?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In fairness to the pair of them, if someone 'authoratitive' posts a tweet like that you don't neccessarily check the numbers. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] would. I probably would. But we are old cynics.

When I was 10, at St Nick's in Portslade, our teacher, Mr Stone wrote two words on the blackboard and asked us one by one to read out the words. These are the words:

Untied Diaries.

At the time, all the milk we bought, sold via the milk marketing board, was sold by the nationalised company United Dairies

Naturally the first kid said 'United Dairies'. And ever other kid bar one followed suit. That kid was not me. The girl in question went red in the face, and said 'Untied Dairies' (half right).

The entire class laughed at her. Until, at the end, Mr Stone pointed out that the whole class, bar her, were lazy minded sheep, mugs, and the sort of virmin who were responsible for Hitler taking over (I may have slightly exaggerated that last bit, but you get my drift).

Dianne Abbey (which, coincidentally, was her name), wherever you are, hats off. :bowdown:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In fairness to the pair of them, if someone 'authoratitive' posts a tweet like that you don't neccessarily check the numbers. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] would. I probably would. But we are old cynics.

When I was 10, at St Nick's in Portslade, our teacher, Mr Stone wrote two words on the blackboard and asked us one by one to read out the words. These are the words:

Untied Diaries.

At the time, all the milk we bought, sold via the milk marketing board, was sold by the nationalised company United Dairies

Naturally the first kid said 'United Dairies'. And ever other kid bar one followed suit. That kid was not me. The girl in question went red in the face, and said 'Untied Dairies' (half right).

The entire class laughed at her. Until, at the end, Mr Stone pointed out that the whole class, bar her, were lazy minded sheep, mugs, and the sort of virmin who were responsible for Hitler taking over (I may have slightly exaggerated that last bit, but you get my drift).

Dianne Abbey (which, coincidentally, was her name), wherever you are, hats off. :bowdown:

I dint think SB would he can only count to 5 :whistle:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
America's version of Diane Abbott?

That's unfair on Diane I doubt she would have been that far adrift of the correct answer.

However on a serious note, mental arithmetic is quickly becoming a lost skill. I've lost count of the number of times I've been given a print out of a spread sheet and immediately said these figures are wrong, to be told that they must be right because Excel worked them out.
A quick look at the figures and a sense check with mental arithmetic would tell you that the figures are wrong and therefore the formula used needs correcting.

But people are so used to using calculators and spreadsheets mental arithmetic is a lost skill (to many people)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Remember it's a different skill altogether in the USA, called "math".

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
As Bloomberg spent $500,000,000, on his Presidential campaign.
While the American population is approximately 347,000,000.

How much money could MB have given to each American?:-

I bet you don't have the same answer as these two

[tweet]1235805267167604736[/tweet]

Pah. That's not even the dumbest US news section TODAY.

[tweet]1235869310288949248[/tweet]

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016

Untied Diaries.

Vermin*

:whistle:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What, the white male interviewer who did the calculation and came up with the same answer as the woman who happens to be black? ??? :shrug:

Have you got an issue with black women or what?

Nonsense. Diane Abbot is famous for that awful interview she did when she got her numbers all mixed up. Which has nothing to do with her being black. I immediately thought of Diane Abbot when I saw it, and the colour of her skin didn't register at all. The people who immediately make the black connection are the ones who are the racists in these situations.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Nonsense. Diane Abbot is famous for that awful interview she did when she got her numbers all mixed up. Which has nothing to do with her being black. I immediately thought of Diane Abbot when I saw it, and the colour of her skin didn't register at all. The people who immediately make the black connection are the ones who are the racists in these situations.

Strangely, Diane Abbott didn't cross my mind as this was nothing like the interview with her.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Thank you Commander. My comment had nothing whatsoever to do with Diane's skin colour and everything to do with her now famous mental arithmetic skills.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here