Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Gallbladder- in or out?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
In mid October last year I polished off a rather lovely tangy Tesco's Chicken Tikka Masala only to be awoken a few hours later with stomach pains which weren't too bad and subsided a few hours later.
In November I had the same ready meal only to be hit with pain in the same part of my stomach only twice as bad which didn't go away. I went in to Hospital where they kept me in, ran tests and confirmed I had gallstones. They gave me a bottle of liquid morphine and sent me home to recover and wait for an appointment to have my gallbladder out.

Since then I've eaten far healthier than ever before, lost about two stone in weight (thank you very much Mr G Stone) and haven't had any pain since in the slightest. I've changed my diet and am more than happy to stay on it forever. In fact I'm almost back to eating as I was before but I'm not eating anything with over 5% fat in it.

I received a letter from the hospital today to go in and have my gallbladder removed in mid April.

The thing is, I'm not certain I'm going to have the procedure as things are fine as they are. If I get it taken out I reckon I'll go back to eating crap food again. Between Oct and Nov I ate normally (and since, albeit <5% fat) and had no pain. It seems it's the creamy Masala sauce that set my troubles off both times.
From what I've read, having it removed is likely to give me an upset stomach when I eat fatty foods.
I can't see the point in being messed about with if things are good as they are.

I'm sure there must be a few people on here who have suffered with gallstones and I'm looking for advice really and to find out your experiences either living with a gallbladder that had previously given you grief or after having it removed.
Anyone?
Gallbladder- in or out?

No poll.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I've had them for getting on for 10 years. A couple of times a year I get pain from them like very bad indigestion but so far it has quickly passed. If it happens at night I go downstairs and march round the kitchen for half an hour which seems to sort it. I've still got the heavy duty painkillers they gave me but haven't used them, nice to know they are there though. Good luck.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

Out from me....

Mine were shocking ‘Like a bag of marbles’ the ultrasound bloke said and ‘like a rotten tomato ‘ the surgeon said after whipping it out (the gall bladder)

Also if you travel you can’t get insured for toffee...Routine keyhole surgery in Hayward’s Heath, home the same day no brainier.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Sounds as though you might have fixed it yourself, avoided a risky operation, and saved the nhs some cash and capacity.

My advice would be to book an appointment with your gp and explain what you’ve just explained to us, or call the hospital, ask for the Upper GI medical secretaries, and get an appointment with your surgeon. He or she will not carry out an unnecessary operation.

Well done by the way. Taking it upon yourself to fix a health problem is not easy. I’m trying to reverse type 2 diabetes right now. I’m inspired by your story. Let us know how you get on.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I had mine out, also keyhole surgery but I did stay in hospital a few days. No problems at all since, and I eat what I want. (I am and always have been a veggie.)
The problem with leaving it is that the pain may come back. I was by no means in constant pain, but when it hurt it really did hurt - I would be curled up in a ball rolling on the floor. What a wimp.
Having it removed was definitely the right thing for me. I hope you make the right decision for you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Out, my daughter had gall bladder stones, long story but she ended up with pancreatitis and was very ill and in incredible pain.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My ex had hers out, Key hole surgery, in and out same day and on her feet in no time.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Out, my daughter had gall bladder stones, long story but she ended up with pancreatitis and was very ill and in incredible pain.

THIS

OUT

I was in for two weeks with Pancreatitis. Amazing pain

Better to have done with the Gall Bladder and if you’re a Veggie you have already proved that you will not fall back on too much fatty food.

The op is simple and painless afterwards

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'd leave it until after the CoronaVirus has moved on.

The last thing you need is to be under the knife with that 'nasty' in circulation.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'd leave it until after the CoronaVirus has moved on.

The last thing you need is to be under the knife with that 'nasty' in circulation.

Fair point and the surgery might be postponed anyway. But I've never felt pain anywhere near as bad as gallstones and with keyhole surgery, losing my gall bladder is something I've never regretted (or noticed). While I did regret a pre-op trip to the USA always having the fish while everyone else in my party was pigging out on steak and burgers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds as though you might have fixed it yourself, avoided a risky operation, and saved the nhs some cash and capacity.

My advice would be to book an appointment with your gp and explain what you’ve just explained to us, or call the hospital, ask for the Upper GI medical secretaries, and get an appointment with your surgeon. He or she will not carry out an unnecessary operation.

Well done by the way. Taking it upon yourself to fix a health problem is not easy. I’m trying to reverse type 2 diabetes right now. I’m inspired by your story. Let us know how you get on.

Good advice. Yes, see the GP and hopefully avoid needless surgery.

I was diagnosed with the beginnings of type 2 diabetes in 2002. I was eating, coincidentally, a lot of microwave Indians. If you'll forgive the expression. Changed my diet (to loads of veg, free range meats, no processed food whatsoever) and my blood sugars became normal in the space of 2 years, and no looking back. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I fell ill on our last night in Florida in Dec 2017 with horrendous stomach pains, which we put down to a stomach bug both me and the missus had picked up the day before. Got rushed into hospital at 9pm - they found I had kidney stones again - given meds, but out at 3am, and cleared to fly home.
When I got back to the UK I had a scan for the kidney stones but they discovered I had a diseased gallbladder, so I went through a year of having my kidney stones blasted by lithotripsy two or three times (worst pain ever getting 3000 electronic blasts into your kidney!), then an op in Dec '18 to have the gallbladder out. Was in and out the same day, left with 4 small scars on my stomach, and back to work after a week as I felt fine - even though I was told to have at least a fortnight off to recover. I ate and drank what I wanted afterwards tbh, and have never had an issue with fatty foods since, although I do make sure I dont have too much in one go....and generally eat a lot better since Jan this year anyway with no crisps, junk food etc.

I didn't find the surgery or recovery any problem at all tbh, so if they say it still needs to come out, do it....its not a major deal.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
A friend was admitted to the Sussex County with an infection in her gallbladder. She was in pain all weekend until they finally decided to operate. You don't want to risk that so ask your GP for their advice.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In mid October last year I polished off a rather lovely tangy Tesco's Chicken Tikka Masala only to be awoken a few hours later with stomach pains which weren't too bad and subsided a few hours later.
In November I had the same ready meal only to be hit with pain in the same part of my stomach only twice as bad which didn't go away. I went in to Hospital where they kept me in, ran tests and confirmed I had gallstones. They gave me a bottle of liquid morphine and sent me home to recover and wait for an appointment to have my gallbladder out.

Since then I've eaten far healthier than ever before, lost about two stone in weight (thank you very much Mr G Stone) and haven't had any pain since in the slightest. I've changed my diet and am more than happy to stay on it forever. In fact I'm almost back to eating as I was before but I'm not eating anything with over 5% fat in it.

I received a letter from the hospital today to go in and have my gallbladder removed in mid April.

The thing is, I'm not certain I'm going to have the procedure as things are fine as they are. If I get it taken out I reckon I'll go back to eating crap food again. Between Oct and Nov I ate normally (and since, albeit <5% fat) and had no pain. It seems it's the creamy Masala sauce that set my troubles off both times.
From what I've read, having it removed is likely to give me an upset stomach when I eat fatty foods.
I can't see the point in being messed about with if things are good as they are.

I'm sure there must be a few people on here who have suffered with gallstones and I'm looking for advice really and to find out your experiences either living with a gallbladder that had previously given you grief or after having it removed.
Anyone?
Gallbladder- in or out?

No poll.

Well, assume you've read the NHS advice.

Sounds like your in or out answer should be informed by things like your calcium levels. Does say can be controlled by diet and lifestyle though. Not sure the NHS would be going straight for an expensive operation if there were options for you to just change your diet, but perhaps a call into the Consultant's office or your GP to talk it through more and book in another consultation?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Good advice. Yes, see the GP and hopefully avoid needless surgery.

I was diagnosed with the beginnings of type 2 diabetes in 2002. I was eating, coincidentally, a lot of microwave Indians. If you'll forgive the expression. Changed my diet (to loads of veg, free range meats, no processed food whatsoever) and my blood sugars became normal in the space of 2 years, and no looking back. Good luck. :thumbsup:

Thanks HWT. Out of interest, which other ethnicities have you microwaved and eaten??

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Had mine out 10 years ago. No problems since.

The pain I went through wouldn't make me want to take a chance in keeping it in. I suffered for years until the quack finally sent me for tests.

You could have yours out and yet continue eating heathily, maybe?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I experienced similar pain to you with random attacks over a period of about 3 years.
It transpires it was a gallstone. I used to get relief from it by taking Deflatine which eased the pain and everything felt better about 30 minutes later.
I eventually had another episode which fortunately was at home but it resulted in me collapsing with an ambulance being called. I was diagnosed with Pancreatitis which was caused by the gallstone. Apparently they measure something called amylase in your pancreas with a normal reading being up to 160. My reading was 3600.
I was kept in hospital for 3 weeks to allow the inflamed pancreas recover and then had my gallbladder and gallstone removed with a simple keyhole surgery. I've found out after the event that people can die when in the state I was in.
I've had no problems since and the doctor has said there is no need to see him ever again.
The only bad news is that he has said that I should now avoid alcohol forever.
Apparently about 90% of people in that condition are heavy drinkers, but I wasn't (about 2 pints a week).

My advice to you would be if it's left for you to decide, to lean towards getting your gallbladder removed. It's usually a simple day surgery job and will remove the risk of future potential problems.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here