Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Leeds goalkeeper banned

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
An independent Football Association regulatory commission suspended Kiko Casilla for eight games after being satisfied the Leeds goalkeeper called Charlton’s loanee striker Jonathan Leko “a ****ing ******” during a game at the Valley in September last year.

Casilla maintains his innocence and has been supported by Leeds, who have questioned the FA’s decision to decide the case on the balance of probabilities, but, in a 62-page document explaining the “written reasons” for its decision, the FA insists the required burden of proof was exceeded."

Should have been a life time ban.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Probably would have been longer than 8 games if they had definite proof

I think this is correct and it's a deeply uncomfortable outcome.

Either he did say this thing and then talk of a lifetime ban is proportionate or he didn't and he's had his name unfairly sullied forever.

This outcome very much smacks of saying, we don't know, so lets find a middle ground punishment just in case he did.

I don't remember did the Jay Rodriguez case have the same burden of proof? Surely there's stronger evidence in that case than this one.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Can we not have the full word on the thread title either?

If there's a moderator who, like me, doesn't want to see such a terrible word pop up and could put some stars up instead, i'd be very grateful

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can we not have the full word on the thread title either?

If there's a moderator who, like me, doesn't want to see such a terrible word pop up and could put some stars up instead, i'd be very grateful

Context and Intent ? It's unwise but not outrageous.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
An independent Football Association regulatory commission suspended Kiko Casilla for eight games after being satisfied the Leeds goalkeeper called Charlton’s loanee striker Jonathan Leko “a ****ing ******” during a game at the Valley in September last year.

Casilla maintains his innocence and has been supported by Leeds, who have questioned the FA’s decision to decide the case on the balance of probabilities, but, in a 62-page document explaining the “written reasons” for its decision, the FA insists the required burden of proof was exceeded."

Should have been a life time ban.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Not if it hasn't been proven beyond doubt.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i have read the 62 page pdf (littered with typos and errors but that is by the by)

I still don't see any evidence above "he said, she said" but....everything from kiko - if that is his best defence against a truly abhorrent allegation then i don't want to see his worst. if we accept the balance of probability then his actions are gross misconduct and in just about every form of employment the consequence of that is immediate termination of your contract. suspect leeds will sit until time for appeal has expired and if kiko chooses not to lodge an appeal that is a tacit acceptance of the charge. we'll never know what was truly said because we can't rewind time and mic up these players. if it weren't so serious of an accusation the report would be comedy - especially the bit about the Leeds team bus.

he is not a good keeper anyway. get rid, move on.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Lifetime ban if provern sounds a lot but I'd certainly terminate his contract with Leeds and ban him for the rest of this season plus one more full season from world football. Make him do some re-education course if he wants to come back in 18 months too.

8 games? Utterly crazy :angry: Assuming they're sure he did it.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Not defending him at all but I remember teaching in high schools in Spain about 12 years ago and teenage lads who couldn't speak English were dropping N bombs all over the place. Of course I challenged them on it and they genuinely had no idea of the gravity of the word and were simply repeating what they often heard in music.

He's been in the UK for over a year now and the first words you normally learn are the bad ones, so I would be very surprised if he didn't know. Could've been they misheard him, as claimed on the team bus, but come on....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51724664

He got to this age in life - an this well traveled that he did not know calling a black person a ' F'ing N...' was offensive? Righto.

Why only an 8 game ban? Is that what a supporter would get?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Not defending him at all but I remember teaching in high schools in Spain about 12 years ago and teenage lads who couldn't speak English were dropping N bombs all over the place. Of course I challenged them on it and they genuinely had no idea of the gravity of the word and were simply repeating what they often heard in music.

He's been in the UK for over a year now and the first words you normally learn are the bad ones, so I would be very surprised if he didn't know. Could've been they misheard him, as claimed on the team bus, but come on....

I concur. It's a common issue in Spain, and not just amongst teenagers. They're often perplexed when you first explain why it's utterly unacceptable, having heard it used routinely in songs and films. Of course afterwards most are embarrassed and apologetic but even then they don't understand the full weight of the word. It's not just the ones who can't speak English either.

Like Jamie, I'm not seeking to justify it in any way, just adding some context.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here