Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it still fun?

Impact

May 26, 2019
I'm a Huddersfield fan. Unsurprisingly, like a lot of others, I didn't find last season too enjoyable. There was a lot of gallows humour, we didn't take ourselves too seriously, the odd win was fun but ultimately it dragged. But we were all sort of OK with it because we thought we'd go down and be competitive and enjoy winning some games again.

That hasn't happened as we thought. I don't have the energy to try and explain why but essentially over the past year and a half or so the club has been pretty badly managed at the top. However, even though we're at the wrong end, being competitive in every game and winning more has crept the enthusiasm back up. That and seeing young players excel instead of watching mercenaries care about nothing but their pockets.

So I was wondering - as a club who have survived the drop twice and have a good chance of doing so again - do you still find it fun? Is being a prem club scrapping for the odd point enjoyable?

It's easy to say when we got relegated that we weren't too bothered, but I don't think many were truthfully. I think we'd had more than our fair share of batterings. I also missed derbies really. But would you guys be that bothered if you did get relegated? Would you actually enjoy the championship more now, especially given you've had the prem experience?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The EPL is where we want to be, playing some of the biggest clubs in the world. It's an honour and a privelige to host the likes of Liverpool and Man U and on our day turning them over.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If you can imagine having cod liver oil fed to you all your life, then suddenly start drinking nectar, you'll understand.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The wrong time to ask.

Pretty low after losing to palace at the weekend, on top of being the only team in the PL, and EFL not to have won this year. With at least 4 losable matches coming up next as well...

I hate all football at the moment.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think it is a much tougher league than expected and the realisation that even if the club goes to the next level that still leaves you way short of ever winning anything leaves you a bit cold as a fan.

That said i think this season 4th-18th has not really been much of a chasm in terms of quality so either the big clubs are having a temporary dip or the lower half is improving and more competitive.

Relegation would not be the end of the world as the championship is such a fantastic division but would rather see us build and push on to be more competitive in the premier league than step back to the championship.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are you enjoying the Championship ? :mad:

Impact

May 26, 2019
Personally, I'd have the Prem over the Championship any day. It is the pinnacle of world league football after all.
Yeah I get that. It's how I felt 1st year. Then the excitement of having a big team show up, or going to one of their grounds wore off, especially when we were chasing shadows most of the game. That wasn't entirely helped by some horrendous transfer business.

The more I thought about it the more I wanted to be a yoyo club like WBA were, and possibly may be again. Being in the prem was great, but I'm not sure I'd want to be in a relegation scrap every year and, in our case, trying to shithouse the odd point off a big boy whilst the refs give everything to their diving prima donnas. Of course, being Town, we decided to have a relegation scrap in the championship anyway.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Personally, and I know it’s not a popular opinion, I love the Championship. I’m at the point now, that I’m not really enjoying our football, I know it’s better than last season but, I’m finding it so frustrating that it’s ruining it a bit for me.
In the Championship, everyone can get a result against everyone else, and that makes it so much better. If we do go down, and I’m not confident we won’t ,I can’t really get that upset about it. It’s not even the not winning, it’s knowing the week before that we’re not going to win, I can’t say I’ve been confident of us getting any wins except Norwich at the Amex, and I think they’ll beat us at their place.
I’m usually a glass not just half full, but overflowing type of person, but, this season I’ve been really despondent.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m fine with either division.

Not many smiling faces this season, when travelling home post matches which tells a story, just philosophical chatter.

Modest expectations going into every PL game, so to me it’s no surprise or blow when we don’t win. That’s footballing life for fans of 6 or 7 PL clubs.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Struggling in a league is never fun, I would rather struggle in The Premier League than need a draw to go out of the football league. At least if we get relegated from the top league we will be playing in arguably the second best league in the world.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hated last season but am enjoying this one but we’re doing no better :shrug:

Yeah, for me this season has been fun

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
First season was fun, since then I've rapidly lost interest in going. Even with the optimism of a new manager, I only pencilled in a hand full of games when the fixtures came out.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Mixed feelings. It’s great to be in the top league in the world, but in truth I probably enjoyed it more when watching a winning team in the championship, and knowing that we had a realistic chance of winning it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I’m still enjoying it, it’s a different type of enjoyment though being in a relegation battle rather than promotion. The massive extra coverage that the PL receives is also handy for exiles like me.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If there was a guarantee we would be top three then I would prefer the championship than another season of struggling in the prem.
The fear is we would do a Huddersfield......

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
We are nailed on to be relegated. We haven't won this year and under Potter I cannot see where our next win is coming from.
No it hasn't been fun ,mainly this season and some of last season.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Enjoyed this season. As a supporter take the highs with the loss and enjoy whatever division. Higher stakes in the Prem and that does make an impact on enjoyment levels

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here