Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Number of seasons in the Premier League - is our expectation simply unrealistic?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Thought this thread was worth a bounce with some updated numbers including those teams for season 20/21, our 4th in the Premier League.

That's 40% of the last 10 years in the Premier League to Leeds 10% :)

But their big club status is there for all to see with a massive 4 seasons in the Premier League in the last 20. HUGE.

I still find it really interesting that only 7 teams have managed to stay in the Premier League for the whole 10 years - it really illustrates how hard it is to consolidate.

ps) yes I know there was a top division before the Premier League, but suck it up like I have had to!

Attachments

• Premier League seasons 20-21.png
    Premier League seasons 20-21.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Thought this thread was worth a bounce with some updated numbers including those teams for season 20/21, our 4th in the Premier League.

That's 40% of the last 10 years in the Premier League to Leeds 10% :)

But their big club status is there for all to see with a massive 4 seasons in the Premier League in the last 20. HUGE.

I still find it really interesting that only 7 teams have managed to stay in the Premier League for the whole 10 years - it really illustrates how hard it is to consolidate.

Do you think this indicates that consolidation is a 20 year project? Looking at WHU/NU/Scummers as evidence? Still doesn't exclude having a mare of a season but with swift(ish) returns.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Do you think this indicates that consolidation is a 20 year project? Looking at WHU/NU/Scummers as evidence? Still doesn't exclude having a mare of a season but with swift(ish) returns.

That certainly makes sense I think. Remarkable that given the ownership issues Newcastle have only missed 3 seasons. They bounced back well after each relegation.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Everyone except the top 7 has missed at least 1 of the last 10 years in the premier league. To gain promotion and stay for 10 straight years is a completely unrealistic expectation. That is an average of 4 years outside of the premier league for the other 13 teams, it will be a difficult decade to navigate

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Everyone except the top 7 has missed at least 1 of the last 10 years in the premier league. To gain promotion and stay for 10 straight years is a completely unrealistic expectation. That is an average of 4 years outside of the premier league for the other 13 teams, it will be a difficult decade to navigate

Palace are getting close to 10 though, this has to be the season they go down, surely?

There’s no doubt their 8 straight seasons has massively increased their profile. They shouldn’t have really got them, but still. Their highest finish is 10th and that was only once. Is our target to better that within the next 5 seasons?

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
Very interesting. Is their an easy way of finding all clubs that have played in the Premier league and their years in it ? Appreciate may not be easy but I think your brain is a lot bigger than mine !

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Is our target to better that within the next 5 seasons?

Nope, watch the interview with Bloom he is quite aware of how hard it is going to be to become a top ten club, as he says the road to it may well include relegation and return, but the club needs a challenging long term goal.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Very interesting. Is their an easy way of finding all clubs that have played in the Premier league and their years in it ? Appreciate may not be easy but I think your brain is a lot bigger than mine !

Should start to set our sights on Nottingham Forest, Ipswich Town, Hull City and Bournemouth now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_clubs

All time PL table towards the bottom of this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League_records_and_statistics
2 points behind Reading with the same amount of seasons.

All time in the top flight:
https://www.myfootballfacts.com/england_footy/football-league/seasons-in-top-flight/

You can see why we are considered as pretty small by most football fans!

My dream is to become the longest serving club in the PL outside that top 7 like Southampton and West Ham have done. That would be an a bloody good achievement, if we reach the top 10 or not. As was said before, not many clubs have actually done that.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
There's a fallacy here - simply that the more years a club spends in the Premier League, the more money it accumulates.

But some clubs are spending all the money they get in on player wages and agents' fees, so far from building up a healthy transfer/wages kitty, they are increasing their debts. Bournemouth are an example, five years in the Premier League, £70m owed to other clubs in transfer fees and now they're in the Championship without even a stadium or training ground to show for it. P*rtsm**th were the extreme - seven seasons, two administrations and down to L2.

The increase in the value of the TV deals also makes recent seasons far more relevant in the whole scheme of things. £100m a season is a hefty amount to play with, even compared to the £30m that clubs got ten years ago. Clubs such as Burnley who resist the temptation to blow it all and still stay up comfortably are to be congratulated. I'd also say that Norwich, who were promoted ahead of schedule and decided to bank a lot of the money for the seasons to come, have made a decision to be respected. They nearly went bust after their previous relegation and have learned the lesson. .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm not so sure it's so unrealistic anymore. The gap between the PL and the Championship is getting bigger all the time and there are more often than not one or two promoted teams that go straight back down – and if not the first season, then the second season. In recent seasons, I'm thinking Norwich, Fulham, Huddersfield, Cardiff to name a few. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if we went down at some point soon because we expect a relegation battle, unlike fans of some other teams who think they will be top six and into Europe after their first season...

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Nope, watch the interview with Bloom he is quite aware of how hard it is going to be to become a top ten club, as he says the road to it may well include relegation and return, but the club needs a challenging long term goal.

I know that, I was just wondering if it would be deemed as acceptable if we did similar. I think 1 top 10 finish in 8 seasons would be a good start.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
There's a fallacy here - simply that the more years a club spends in the Premier League, the more money it accumulates.

But some clubs are spending all the money they get in on player wages and agents' fees, so far from building up a healthy transfer/wages kitty, they are increasing their debts. Bournemouth are an example, five years in the Premier League, £70m owed to other clubs in transfer fees and now they're in the Championship without even a stadium or training ground to show for it. P*rtsm**th were the extreme - seven seasons, two administrations and down to L2.

The increase in the value of the TV deals also makes recent seasons far more relevant in the whole scheme of things. £100m a season is a hefty amount to play with, even compared to the £30m that clubs got ten years ago. Clubs such as Burnley who resist the temptation to blow it all and still stay up comfortably are to be congratulated. I'd also say that Norwich, who were promoted ahead of schedule and decided to bank a lot of the money for the seasons to come, have made a decision to be respected. They nearly went bust after their previous relegation and have learned the lesson. .

I don’t think they accumulate more money. But they SHOULD improve the squad quality and/or infrastructure.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
On the other hand it also protects us from signing players on £100K a week that we’d be lumbered with if we got relegated. See Sunderland and more recently Stoke.
Would you rather a free transfer on £100k a week than a £17m transfer fee on AJ or Locadia we'll likely never recover?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Here you go.

Attachments

• Premier Leagues Seasons All Time.png
    Premier Leagues Seasons All Time.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 48

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here