Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Number of seasons in the Premier League - is our expectation simply unrealistic?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I did an analysis of number of seasons each of the current premier league teams have spent in the premier league in the last 20 and 10 seasons.

When you look that most of the teams in the league have had at least 2 or 3 more seasons of rolling in the TV money is any wonder we are struggling? Most of them have had much much more than this.

Is it surprising we are struggling? Surely this is just part and parcel of being the new kids on the block.

Sheffield United are clearly bucking the trend, but will they do it again next season?

A quick dose of reality perhaps for us and both Mr B's?

Attachments

• PL Seasons 19-20.png
    PL Seasons 19-20.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 669

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I did an analysis of number of seasons each of the current premier league teams have spent in the premier league in the last 20 and 10 seasons.

When you look that most of the teams in the league have had at least 2 or 3 more seasons of rolling in the TV money is any wonder we are struggling? Most of them have had much much more than this.

Is it surprising we are struggling? Surely this is just part and parcel of being the new kids on the block.

Sheffield United are clearly bucking the trend, but will they do it again next season?

It's interesting but I don't think a lack of available funds is the reason we are where we are. It's down to the recruitment side not being good enough and totally changing the style of play. It's a transitional season and was always going to be. Just have to hope we can scrape through it.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I would be extremely surprised if a relegation from the Premier League is not factored in to the Albion's long term plan.

Clearly not the ideal scenario, but one that would have been considered entirely possible, even likely(?), when we first go promoted.

Anyway, still all to play for!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No. A well-managed club should survive...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

At last, someone has finally caught on. We aere simply not good enough to play consistently at this level. Yes there is a very good chance that we will be relegated come the end of the season.

We'll be back though, have no fear of that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
At last, someone has finally caught on. We aere simply not good enough to play consistently at this level. Yes there is a very good chance that we will be relegated come the end of the season.

We'll be back though, have no fear of that.

Yes but at what cost.
Each season out of the PL widens the gap between you and the more established PL clubs and leaves you more susceptible to yo-yo. Relegation for us now would be an unmitigated disaster. All the hard work would be undone and there is no guarantee of returning quickly.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's interesting but I don't think a lack of available funds is the reason we are where we are. It's down to the recruitment side not being good enough and totally changing the style of play. It's a transitional season and was always going to be. Just have to hope we can scrape through it.

Sadly I just think our chairman is too well-meaning and naive to make a real fist of it in the hard-arsed reality of the PL. Too nice a bloke basically

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sadly I just think our chairman is too well-meaning and naive to make a real fist of it in the hard-arsed reality of the PL. Too nice a bloke basically

Bollocks. Analysis of football matches is how he continues to make his millions. And I don’t know many self-made multi millionaires who got where they were by being too nice and naive.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why are we even in the PL when the huge Leeds United or the even more massive Sheffield Wednesday are denied their rightful places given the billions who support them around the galaxy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes but at what cost.
Each season out of the PL widens the gap between you and the more established PL clubs and leaves you more susceptible to yo-yo. Relegation for us now would be an unmitigated disaster. All the hard work would be undone and there is no guarantee of returning quickly.

I disagree that relegation would be an unmitigated disaster. We have saleable player assets, we have players out on loan who are already comfortable at Championship level, we'd have parachute payments, a manage that knows the Championship, we have infrastructure that is bought and paid for to Premier League standard and have only one main creditor - Tony Bloom.

Moreover, you look at Giraffe's table and you realise that relegation is merely something of an occupational hazard for the likes of Norwich, Leicester, Burnley, Watford - also West Brom and Fulham in the Championship. Those clubs are used to bouncing back. Even the likes of Palace, Saints and Newcastle who have a lot of seasons in the Prem still flirt with relegation most seasons.

What makes me fairly optimistic is that even if we lost Ryan, Montoya, Duffy, Dunk, Propper, Ben White, McAllister, Jahanbaksh, Andone, Locadia, Knockaert then even with no new signings we'd be looking at a side of:Walton, Lamptey, Bernardo, Burn, Webster, Stephens, Mooy, Trossard, Bissouma, Maupay, Connolly with a bench of Button, Clarke, Gross, March, Molumby, Baluta and Tau.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes but at what cost.

We'd need to get back immediately, as Newcastle did, to minimise the damage.

Ashley did it with money …. they only lost Wijnaldum and Thug Sissoko, but invested heavily in summer 2016, augmenting effectively their already PL squad. They should've walked the 2016/17 Championship, and did (with us).

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

We are being unrealistic if we don't believe that we will be one of a dozen teams that could, for a number of reasons, end up scrapping for survival. Villa, West Brom, Fulham, Stoke, recent examples of teams that had been relatively successful or established and have fallen through the trap door, whilst Bournemouth, Watford, West Ham are all examples that not many would have tipped to be in the do-do this season. This is why I don't get the vitriol when we struggle, as though we are being done a disservice somehow. My perception, and it is not backed up by facts so may be way off, is that the clubs that are commonly viewed as "well-run" by the wider world, can cope reasonably well with the drop and compete well in the Championship.. no guarantees of course, and in time with no promotion we would have to cut our cloth accordingly but with assets that we might be able to sell to give us the best possible chance for longer-term success.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bollocks. Analysis of football matches is how he continues to make his millions. And I don’t know many self-made multi millionaires who got where they were by being too nice and naive.

Because TB is an Albion fan, I don't think he treats the Albion with the same level of hard-nosed objectivity that he probably treats his core business activities. Nothing wrong with being a nice guy but it was naive in the extreme to give Potter - and probably his entire entourage also - a FIVE YEAR contract extension when he'd not been here more than a couple of months. That's not the actions of a hard-nosed businessman, that's the actions of a fan reacting to a couple of very decent early season performances :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I disagree that relegation would be an unmitigated disaster. We have saleable player assets, we have players out on loan who are already comfortable at Championship level, we'd have parachute payments, a manage that knows the Championship, we have infrastructure that is bought and paid for to Premier League standard and have only one main creditor - Tony Bloom.

Moreover, you look at Giraffe's table and you realise that relegation is merely something of an occupational hazard for the likes of Norwich, Leicester, Burnley, Watford - also West Brom and Fulham in the Championship. Those clubs are used to bouncing back. Even the likes of Palace, Saints and Newcastle who have a lot of seasons in the Prem still flirt with relegation most seasons.

What makes me fairly optimistic is that even if we lost Ryan, Montoya, Duffy, Dunk, Propper, Ben White, McAllister, Jahanbaksh, Andone, Locadia, Knockaert then even with no new signings we'd be looking at a side of:Walton, Lamptey, Bernardo, Burn, Webster, Stephens, Mooy, Trossard, Bissouma, Maupay, Connolly with a bench of Button, Clarke, Gross, March, Molumby, Baluta and Tau.

It's a bummer to get out of. The competition is extensive.

This includes cheating owners massively overspending in breach of FFP, then using disputed accounting slight of hands, to cover the breach - QPR, Massive, Derby and Villa.

There are an increasing number of very wealthy owners, desperate for their slug of PL monies.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

That is a really good line up for the Championship and a promotion looking squad with lots of attacking flair, something to look forward too with money in the bank from the sale of the stars so to speak.

We would have to invest if promotion was achieved in a completely different way I would argue, with emphasis on Premier League ready squad members as targets.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

I don’t believe that for a second. You don’t become a billionaire by being well-meaning, naive and nice. There is one shrewd ******* in there somewhere.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We'd need to get back immediately, as Newcastle did, to minimise the damage.

Ashley did it with money …. they only lost Wijnaldum and Thug Sissoko, but invested heavily in summer 2016, augmenting effectively their already PL squad. They should've walked the 2016/17 Championship, and did (with us).

I don’t think Ashley put his hand too far into his pocket as Newcastle’s net transfer spend in summer 2016 was actually negative. Wijnaldum, Janmaat, Townsend and Sissoko all went to PL clubs for reported fees that would’ve brought in over 75m alone.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here