Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***Sussex Senior Cup, Semi Final 03.03 -19.15 KO, Brighton and Hove Albion v Worthing***

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Worthing's keeper is shorter than Ryan and tubbier than Stockdale.

1234.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That article said he'd been with the Arsenal since he was 6 but the distance is too far from Sussex to Arsenal for pre-foundation and foundation phase players to travel up. Unless he's from the very top end of Sussex?

Maybe the rules have tightened in the last 10 years? Maybe one of his parents has a "pad" in or around London?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not sure but think parents took him up every week. Went to school in Patcham. It seems wrong to me to allow clubs to have players of that age traveling that distance

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yes Brighton. Thats a heck of long time he was on Arsenal books and still only 17

I don't think you can officially be "signed" at an academy until U-9 level, but I think most clubs run things that they will call development centres (or the like) for younger age groups. Obviously from U-9 to U-16 level they are still schoolboys, probably still attending their normal school (although some clubs do have partnerships with local education establishments). Stevens was released in his final schoolboy year without being offered a scholarship (when he would have become full-time). Must be difficult having been there the full 8 years, only to be rejected at the final hurdle.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
That article said he'd been with the Arsenal since he was 6 but the distance is too far from Sussex to Arsenal for pre-foundation and foundation phase players to travel up. Unless he's from the very top end of Sussex?

I don't think you can officially be "signed" at an academy until U-9 level, but I think most clubs run things that they will call development centres (or the like) for younger age groups.

He'll have been in the Arsenal Academy system, but training at a 'satellite' academy site, as you suggest.

Much like the Southampton one at Bath, which allowed Bale to sign, and comply with the rules.

All clubs have them - including our own (in South London).

Palace (E.Grinstead) and Chelsea (Lewes) are two that certainly operate on our patch.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not sure but think parents took him up every week. Went to school in Patcham. It seems wrong to me to allow clubs to have players of that age traveling that distance

Pre-foundation (Under 8 and less) and Foundation (under 9 - Under 11) the maximum travel time is 60 minutes. Youth Development phase (Under 12 - Under 16) the maximum travel time is meant to be 90 minutes but clubs can get special dispensation for certain players.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
He'll have been in the Arsenal Academy system, but training at a 'satellite' academy site, as you suggest.

Much like the Southampton one at Bath, which allowed Bale to sign, and comply with the rules.

All clubs have them - including our own (in South London).

Palace (E.Grinstead) and Chelsea (Lewes) are two that certainly operate on our patch.

And Chelsea at Crawley too. Just hadn't heard of the Arsenal one down this way but yeah must have been otherwise don't see how he could have done it. Actually heard a tale of one of the London clubs (can't remember which) opening a "development centre" near Eastbourne and Hastings specifically so they could sign a lad from that way as otherwise the travel distance would have been too much for him to sign.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I don't think you can officially be "signed" at an academy until U-9 level, but I think most clubs run things that they will call development centres (or the like) for younger age groups. Obviously from U-9 to U-16 level they are still schoolboys, probably still attending their normal school (although some clubs do have partnerships with local education establishments). Stevens was released in his final schoolboy year without being offered a scholarship (when he would have become full-time). Must be difficult having been there the full 8 years, only to be rejected at the final hurdle.

Didn't one of the big clubs build a boarding school specifically enable them to have boys go to the school and train but not fall foul of the distance rules?

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Didn't one of the big clubs build a boarding school specifically enable them to have boys go to the school and train but not fall foul of the distance rules?

I don't know.

Palace had a relationship with Oasis Academy Shirley Park, but apparently it ended in the summer of 2018 - Aaron Wan-Bissaka: how a south London school's parting gift to Crystal Palace could keep them up

(I'm not suggesting here that Palace were trying to do anything underhand to circumvent travelling rules, just showing how some clubs have/had a relationship with a specific school or academy).

Just seen this - yes his parents took him up to London 2 or 3 times a week, Westdene and Patcham school would let him go early, very nice lad he was in the same year as my kid, quite a rigmarole but manageable, London isn’t the other end of the world

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I saw this thread and thought they may be announcing the men's final. Looks like nothing to see.

Attachments

• SSC 20.jpg
    SSC 20.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 175

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
And Finn Stevens was in Arsenal set up for years until released about a year ago

Just seen this - yes his parents took him up to London 2 or 3 times a week, Westdene and Patcham school would let him go early, very nice lad he was in the same year as my kid, quite a rigmarole but manageable, London isn’t the other end of the world

[TWEET]1288036960062377986[/TWEET]

[TWEET]1288037866484969477[/TWEET]

Good luck to Fin, always used to come to Sunday morning park football next to the Amex to support his younger brother when he played, who was in the same youth team as my lad

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
,mm

Wow that’s commitment from the parents. Arsenal academy is in the site of the old walthamstow dogs track carpark. 2 hour drive each way with typical traffic and that’s without hold ups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here