Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Betting advice, please

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I feel a bit like I am starting a thread in homage to the great BG....but here goes:

I have a bet placed on Bet 365. It is the first bet I have placed since the 'fixed' dog race debacle of 1978.

I placed a £50 bet on the outcome of a sporting event (oh, I'd best come clean, The Albion to be relegated this season) at 8:1. Psychological insurance, don'cha know.

The only thorn in the ointment is that I am now being offered 'cash out' at more than twice my stake (£112.50).

Mrs T is a bit cross I have wasted £50 (optimistic, is Mrs T). She knows an awful lot about football, but doesn't really like it.

So.....should I stick and collect £60 (8 bottles of decent red at Majestic) or twist and risk becoming single-handedly responsible for The Albion's relegation, followed by who knows what sort of nightmare scenario in the championship, with Potter holding the club to ransom, not speaking with Ashcroft/Ashdown whatever his name is, and various overpaid players languishing in their games rooms, feigning injury.

And if [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] suggests this thread is useless without a poll, I'll be round next week to 'water' his asparagus patch ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Stick to your guns and keep the bet. Cashing out can cut the bookies losses.

But please don’t blame me if we stay up. You’ll be happy anyway.

[I’ve got one on ManC winning the CL, it will be very lucrative if they do. Betfair try to tempt me to cash out].

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I feel a bit like I am starting a thread in homage to the great BG....but here goes:

I have a bet placed on Bet 365. It is the first bet I have placed since the 'fixed' dog race debacle of 1978.

I placed a £50 bet on the outcome of a sporting event (oh, I'd best come clean, The Albion to be relegated this season) at 8:1. Psychological insurance, don'cha know.

The only thorn in the ointment is that I am now being offered 'cash out' at more than twice my stake (£112.50).

Mrs T is a bit cross I have wasted £50 (optimistic, is Mrs T). She knows an awful lot about football, but doesn't really like it.

So.....should I stick and collect £60 (8 bottles of decent red at Majestic) or twist and risk becoming single-handedly responsible for The Albion's relegation, followed by who knows what sort of nightmare scenario in the championship, with Potter holding the club to ransom, not speaking with Ashcroft/Ashdown whatever his name is, and various overpaid players languishing in their games rooms, feigning injury.

And if [MENTION=28934]AmexRuislip[/MENTION] suggests this thread is useless without a poll, I'll be round next week to 'water' his asparagus patch ???

I would never question your threads, oh emperor of Faversham.
Go down the Majestic route, its a must.
I'm contemplating starting on my crate of Warsteiner beer, courtesy of my boss.

Any chance of a poll :D

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My advice would be to let it run, looks a decent investment at 8/1. £450 if we go down will soften the blow a bit.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Let it run
If we are relegated at least it’s paid for your season ticket for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would never question your threads, oh emperor of Faversham.
Go down the Majestic route, its a must.
I'm contemplating starting on my crate of Warsteiner beer, courtesy of my boss.

Any chance of a poll :D

Sure:

miss poland.jpg

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

Let it ride you lily-livered twonk..:rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Thanks gents. I'll stick punk::thumbsup:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

Let it run, I picked up a big insurance bet on Newcastle to win the league in our promotion year!

If you win, it’s a nice amount to put on us coming straight back up...!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You can bet against the Albion being relegated at 3.7 on Betfair Exchange here: https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/football/market/1.159595497.

If you stake £50 on them not being relegated, this will cost you £135 if they are. So, you will win £400 at the bookie, but lose £135 if they are relegated, giving you a profit of £265. If they are not relegated (which they won't be, you miserabalist), you will get your £50 back (less commission of 5%).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another vote for let it run. I’ve got a similar price (17/2) and put on £75, as the winnings will cover my season ticket if we get relegated. Like you say, an insurance bet, and I know a few who have done something similar both this season and last.

Nothing wrong with betting on an event you don’t want to happen. I don’t want my house to burn down, but I still pay my premiums.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Stick to your guns and keep the bet. Cashing out can cut the bookies losses.

But please don’t blame me if we stay up. You’ll be happy anyway.

[I’ve got one on ManC winning the CL, it will be very lucrative if they do. Betfair try to tempt me to cash out].

That's a shrewd bet mate.

For everything that's happened, I just think Citeh might be the last English team standing by the semi-finals. It so often happens - in the face of adversity, Pep Guardiola might ride off into the sunset with the biggest trophy of the lot before their probable ban. The draw is critical but with Juventus (0-1 down without an away goal) and Barcelona (player unrest from social media sources), this might well be their year.

Good luck with it, Weststander. I hope you win a decent amount, bud. :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can bet against the Albion being relegated at 3.7 on Betfair Exchange here: https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/football/market/1.159595497.

If you stake £50 on them not being relegated, this will cost you £135 if they are. So, you will win £400 at the bookie, but lose £135 if they are relegated, giving you a profit of £265. If they are not relegated (which they won't be, you miserabalist), you will get your £50 back (less commission of 5%).

If you imagine I understand a word of that you seriously overestimate my powers of comprehension, me laddio :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another vote for let it run. I’ve got a at a similar price (17/2) and put on £75, as the winning will cover my season ticket if we get relegated. Like you say, an insurance bet, and I know a few who have done something similar both this season and last.

Nothing wrong with betting on an event you don’t want to happen. I don’t want my house to burn down, but I still pay my premiums.

Wise words and, as noted above, I have now solidified my resolve. Actually that sounds a bit icky, if not actually painful :mad: :lolol: :wave:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Is care needed if the original back bet was with the same exchange?

It won’t go down well backing and laying on the very same market?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here