Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Defining moment of the season?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Yesterday felt to me to be the defining moment of our season, beaten by a very average Palace and failing to score despite numerous chances and some of the players starting to look dejected. Add to that wins for Watford, against the League champions, & West Ham and a useful point for smug Eddie's lot down the coast cements our place in this relegation dogfight. Only Norwich have won fewer games than us, and for all the talk of pretty football under Potter, the results are no better and arguably even worse than under Hughton. Wolves away is crucial, do the players have the guts for a proper fight or will they meekly surrender and continue our slide back into the Championship?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
To me the defining moment was Sheffield United. They came and did a job. They went 1 nil up and defended the lead. That seems to be the template for all the subsequent home matches

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
All the strikers leaving after the window shut.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
To me the defining moment was Sheffield United. They came and did a job. They went 1 nil up and defended the lead. That seems to be the template for all the subsequent home matches

I thought the defining moment was against the other Sheffield team , we were abysmal that day , I thought we were ok over the Christmas period

theboybilly

We're running out of winnable games but they are there. We should have won comfortably yesterday and were doing to Palace exactly what we did at Selhurst. It was only the lack of a quality finish that did for us as has been the case in many games so far. A bit of naivety at the back didn't help but we played well for long spells I thought. I'm not giving up yet but that defining moment wasn't yesterday

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Shipping off the two forwards we had.

Both would have probably contributed up to 10 goals between them that would be the difference of us being 12-14th or being in the bottom 3.

Whoever allowed Murray, Connolly and Maupay to be our only strikers needs 6 months in therapy!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ali J's WONDER GOAL v Chelsea on the very first day of the new decade (thought I'd just lob an outstanding positive into the deep sea of gloom)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Three clear cut opportunities (probably more)

March first half
Dunks header saved on the line by our own player
NM straight at the goalie

Covers yesterday’s match and our season

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
All the strikers leaving after the window shut.
…and no replacement brought in in January.

The former was just about excusable on its own, but the latter made it not so.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Defining moment was giving Murray an extended contract which effectively proves how hopeless our recruitment team have been in signing his replacement- desperate

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Defining moment was giving Murray an extended contract which effectively proves how hopeless our recruitment team have been in signing his replacement- desperate

I think it was a clever decision. If relegated I think Murray will be very useful, and if not it still dont really harm anyone to have him as a very sparingly used backup striker next season.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ali J's WONDER GOAL v Chelsea on the very first day of the new decade (thought I'd just lob an outstanding positive into the deep sea of gloom)

That's the problem though, great goal, 2nd of the season then dropped when his confidence was up, comes on against Watford changes the game imho, puts in a great cross for the own goal and then not even a starting place in the next two games, but March gets to start.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Wolves at home. They were the first team I can remember working us out and doing a number on us. We looked clueless and helpless once they started pressing us high, and since then everyone has done it and we've remained clueless and helpless.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That's the problem though, great goal, 2nd of the season then dropped when his confidence was up, comes on against Watford changes the game imho, puts in a great cross for the own goal and then not even a starting place in the next two games, but March gets to start.

Thought he did pretty well when he came on yesterday. One cracking shot on goal and a fair few deft crosses. Seems like one player WELL up for the forthcoming dogfight. Just need Kayal back in midfield now. We need all the scrappers we can get at this late stage in what may well turn out to be an era-defining season

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Burnley at home - they proved the high press is something we cant cope with - all other away teams use this on us since then

We should have kept the 5-3-2 shape and moulded it into 3-2-5 at times

As JJ pointed out we need to overload top end of pitch to score

We also need 3 of Webster, Dunk, Duffy and Burn at the back to make this system work

We seemed to give up on above approach once Solly got injured in September

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The moment Mooy got sent off at Villa. Never seen us play football as good as we did up to that point, and I doubt think I will again this season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here