Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The value of Potter

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Money is in the long run essential if you want to grow the club and make it more of a stable Premier League team. There is two core ways of getting money: tv money and increasing squad value.

Optimally you want both, but if you have to pick one, increasing squad value helps you in any division and if you fall down it improves your chances at getting back up. If you have great scouting, great academy and a staff great at developing players, you'll have a better long term chance of becoming a top 10 team than if you only sign ready, expensive players who may or may not live up to the investment.

Graham Potters ability to effectively manage a bottom tier PL team out of a relegation battle could be questioned, but his ability to improve players and increase their value is not up to debate.

I made a quick list of ÖFK/Swansea players that were sold or got their value significantly increased with him as a coach and you could say "well, thats a different thing". But if you think about it, how many Brighton players are worth less today than a year ago?

If the plan is to introduce two young players (like Alzate & Connolly this year) to the first team squad every year, it does a lot for your wallet. For this reason it wouldnt be a disaster if Brighton go down - in the Championship you could give 8-10 young players the chance. Three or four out of the academy and five or six of the ones currently on loan elsewhere.

That is when you want a coach with the proven ability to improve players and who also got a few promotions under his belt, and I both hope and think Tony Bloom know it.

Once the core has been rebuilt, the club will regardless of its 20/21 division slowly but surely turn into a big club that both get fat tv money and talents from the academy. Should get Brighton pretty close to that top 10 ambition in the long run (even post-Potter 20 year reign!).

The proof for GP:s ability to improve players/increase value:

Found Seon-Min Moon when ÖFK were in the third tier and he is now starting every game for South Korea and won their assist league in 2019. Class player who only moved back due to home sickness. Free signing, £1m win.

Found Modou Barrow when ÖFK played in the second tier and sold him to Swansea later that same seaon. £1,5m win.

Saman Ghoddos, currently in French Ligue 1 club Amiens. Signed for free (or very cheaply) and sold him for a £3,5m gain.

Ken Sema, signed him for about £50k, later sold to Watford for £2m despite only six months left of his contract.
Sotirios Long Greek Surname, bought for about £100k, three years later sold to FC Köpenhamn for £1m (also six months left on contract).

Found Fouad Bachirou (excellent player), found for free in Scottish "Greenock Morton", later sold to Malmö for £600k.

Found Curtis Edwards working as a carpenter and while ÖFK didnt get any money for him, he is now playing with the current Swedish champions.

Probably missed quite a few.
If we go down the Swansea route:

Oliver McBurnie, signed for somewhere around £1-2m but never got the chance and then had success in Bradford on loan and wanted to leave. Could probably have sold him for £4-5m then. "No, you my boi", said Potter and kept developing him. Sold for £17,5+ to Sheffield United.

Daniel James, couldnt get play time on loan in Shrewsbury and thought he had no chance of getting into the Swansea team and wanted out on a loan. "No, you good", said Potter and was later sold to United for £15m+ to Manchester United.

Matt Grimes
Transfermarkt est. value 2018: £1m, now: £5m

Connor Roberts
Transfermarkt est. value 2018: £0,2m, now: £4m

Joe Rodon
Transfermarkt est. value 2018: £0m, now: £2,5m (in reality a lot more..)

Jay Fulton
Transfermarkt est. value 2018: £0,5m, now: £3,5m

George Byers
Transfermarkt est. value 2018: £0m, now: £2m

Bersant Celina
Signed for: £3,2m, value now: £5m (probably more)

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Ostersund massively overstretched themselves, to the point they are now virtually out of business. That episode doesn’t look quite so shiny on his CV now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good post [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] and interesting - thank you.

However which Brighton players has he improved?

Alzate - has been given his chance, difficult to say he’s improved him, he was a standout before, but probably yes

Burn - arguably yes

Connolly- PL2 player of the year last year.

Schelotto - looks more comfortable playing for Potter, because he doesn’t have to defend.

Duffy - has actually gone backwards as trying to play a different way has damaged his confidence.

Gross - previous player of the season, played out of position.

Think I’m reserving judgement on whether he’s improved anyone here yet....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yep, more than enough evidence he is capable of building a Championship squad. We know this because he’s taking us there now.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Potter isn’t taking us there. Our ability to miss chance after chance is though

Fear you might get flamed for not seeing the link to management there.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Potter isn’t taking us there. Our ability to miss chance after chance is though

Try and forget about yesterday when we did miss chance after chance. How many chances did we make against Watford, I can remember 1 and then they scored for us. How many did we make at Sheffield Utd away, 1? Villa at home? It’s a complete myth that we create loads of chances and don’t take them. Generally we have a lot of possession and do **** all with it!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ostersund massively overstretched themselves, to the point they are now virtually out of business. That episode doesn’t look quite so shiny on his CV now.

Its a lot more complicated than that and Potter wasnt involved in it at all. Yes the money from Kindbergs shady dealings helped but they didnt "massively" overstretch themselves. Kindberg took from the city and gave to the club, but it wasnt massive amounts and their current financial issues really started post-Potter as they naively assumed they were going to play in Europe every year.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Alzate - has been given his chance, difficult to say he’s improved him, he was a standout before, but probably yes

Burn - arguably yes

Schelotto - looks more comfortable playing for Potter, because he doesn’t have to defend.

Duffy - has actually gone backwards as trying to play a different way has damaged his confidence.

Gross was shit most of last season and continuing his form his season. He was good in the first season but that’s it

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Try and forget about yesterday when we did miss chance after chance. How many chances did we make against Watford, I can remember 1 and then they scored for us. How many did we make at Sheffield Utd away, 1? Villa at home? It’s a complete myth that we create loads of chances and don’t take them. Generally we have a lot of possession and do **** all with it!

I count shots that test the keeper. Not ballooned overs, corner flag troublers or simple catches. It’s true, we have really low number of these

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Gross was shit most of last season and continuing his form his season. He was good in the first season but that’s it

He was injured a lot last season which didn’t help, yet still somehow manages to lead the team in chances created....

Must do something right

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Burn - arguably yes

Its not easy to improve the value of the current squad as it is generally old and slow, I dont think Bloom expect GP to turn like Montoya, Gross or Pröpper into £20m players but rather to improve academy players and sign & develop youngsters instead of buying a lot of expensive proven players.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Its not easy to improve the value of the current squad as it is generally old and slow, I dont think Bloom expect GP to turn like Montoya, Gross or Pröpper into £20m players but rather to improve academy players and sign & develop youngsters instead of buying a lot of expensive proven players.

Aren’t you describing Ashworth’s role?

We already have some we’ll established youngsters on loan and prior to Potters arrival we were runners up in PL2.

Edit - I would argue Propper is already a £20m plus player.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Aren’t you describing Ashworth’s role?

We already have some we’ll established youngsters on loan and prior to Potters arrival we were runners up in PL2.

Edit - I would argue Propper is already a £20m plus player.

Potter is in charge of training the players. Ashworths job is to bring the Maupays for £20m, Potters job is to turn them into £40m players and to make good players out of good talents. And of course to win a bit of football matches, which I think wont be this hard next season independent of division.

Edit: About Pröpper... maybe. He is a bit of a weird one.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012

I agree with the above

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here