Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Come on then geniuses what's The TinkerMan supposed to do?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Or, what would you do?

Seemingly the comedy gold that is a GPott team selection is the main reason we're shitehouse.

Posters seem to be suggesting if only Potter would play a settled team, everything would be alright.

Yet nobody can agree on what this settled team would look like.
Nobody can pick 8 other players to join Dunk, Ryan & Propper - 6.

Solly's 'clearly not good enough'.
Yet 3 weeks ago he 'must start every week'.

Exactly the same can be written about Mooy.

Were Ali and Groß starting, I'm adamant they now also 'wouldn't be good enough'.

The squad is full of 'impact' subs.

Spending £15m each on all your footballers gets you a team of near indentical £15m footballers.

Everyone is screaming for stability, but everyone wants a different stability, kind of says it all really, doesn't it?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Back to basics. Five at the back. Duffy dunk and Webster in the middle. Burn and another. Every game.

We have to stop shipping preventable goals.

I was gutted when I heard Duffy was missing due to a family bereavement yesterday. I knew we would pay for that.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s not just about having a settled team. It would also be good for the players to know their role in the team and work to improve and build partnerships. As an example; Stephen Alzate. Where does he play ? It is valid to question the selection tinkering. It is also worth noting that NSC is not a homogeneous voice. I do not and never have (this season) thought that Gross, March and Ali J are the answer.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Ryan

Lamptey
Duffy
Dunk
Burn
Bernardo

Stephens
Propper
Bissouma
Macillister

Maupay

Same 11 players for every game until the end. Mooy shouldn’t be anywhere near the 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm not too bothered about the personnel but tactics wise we need to start playing wingers on both sides who stay up with the play and we don't have to rely on Maupay / Murray being dragged out to fill the role leaving nobody in the middle. For most of the first half yesterday it seemed like Montoya was the only player on the right touchline for the length of the pitch.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We are a bottom 6 of the Premier League/Top 6 of the Championship club with a bottom 6 of the Premier League/Top 6 of the Championship budget and wage structure. (I am thankful that we are in the main keeping to financial fair play and not gambling the future of our club.)

This is better than we have ever been, with a squad full of the best players we have ever had. We are moving in the right direction as a club and our future has never looked better.

The fact that we may/will drop back into the Championship is a mere bump in the road of our progress to improvement.

I am happy with the progress we have made under Potter and think we are on the way to something special. A reaction now to sack him may keep us in the Premier League but I think we also need to keep an eye on the bigger picture. Something I trust the board and Bloom to do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s not just about having a settled team. It would also be good for the players to know their role in the team and work to improve and build partnerships. As an example; Stephen Alzate. Where does he play ? It is valid to question the selection tinkering. It is also worth noting that NSC is not a homogeneous voice. I do not and never have (this season) thought that Gross, March and Ali J are the answer.
Very true and that interpretation has always been a fault of mine.

But The Solly Conundrum does rather typify why I keep falling back into it.

In the afterglow of West Ham great swathes of this place were demanding his name on the team sheet, with very little push back.
Now just 2 games later, we have the usual 'what's the point' thread(s) again though with very little push back.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
He needs to say, thank you very much for the opportunity Tony but me and my team are off back to the lower leagues because we have no idea how to manage at this level.
Bruno then gets the last few games to try a pull something out of the bag on the fact the players may fight for him due to the respect they have for him!

Either way we are 99% down!

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
At last! Someone prepared to listen to my pearls of wisdom!

Well, I’d bring back Stephens and move Propper much further forward. Our defence is much better with his screening and Propper is pretty poor at defending.

I’d play Murray every game with the instruction to stay well up the field and central, not out wide. He’s a proven goal scorer and if he gets game time he may well nick the goals to save us!

He can also provide the knock downs for Maupay to run onto and take some pressure off him in the box. It’s a bit rich to keep knocking Maupay for his misses. He’s got eight goals with a quarter of the season still left so is on course to get maybe 12-15 this season (if he starts putting away more chances). Pretty good for his first season!?

When are the midfield ever going to weigh in with a few goals!

I’d only use March and Trossard as impact subs. Both are pretty peripheral throughout most games.

I’d consider replacing Mooy with Gross. He’s well out of form and his set piece delivery is no better than Gross.

Don’t think this implies a completely settled first eleven but think this would give us a better chance of staying up.

Job done!

Who needs Sam Allardyce? I’ll accept payment in the form of my 1901 season ticket being free going forward......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
We are a bottom 6 of the Premier League/Top 6 of the Championship club with a bottom 6 of the Premier League/Top 6 of the Championship budget and wage structure. (I am thankful that we are in the main keeping to financial fair play and not gambling the future of our club.)

This is better than we have ever been, with a squad full of the best players we have ever had. We are moving in the right direction as a club and our future has never looked better.

The fact that we may/will drop back into the Championship is a mere bump in the road of our progress to improvement.

I am happy with the progress we have made under Potter and think we are on the way to something special. A reaction now to sack him may keep us in the Premier League but I think we also need to keep an eye on the bigger picture. Something I trust the board and Bloom to do.
Flout the FFP rules and risk a 2 year ban from the Champions League say I.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Or, what would you do?

Seemingly the comedy gold that is a GPott team selection is the main reason we're shitehouse.

Posters seem to be suggesting if only Potter would play a settled team, everything would be alright.

Were Ali and Groß starting, I'm adamant they now also 'wouldn't be good enough'.

Spending £15m each on all your footballers gets you a team of near indentical £15m footballers.

Everyone is screaming for stability, but everyone wants a different stability, kind of says it all really, doesn't it?

Agreed. There are only 1 or 2 players who justify their place week in, week out and they get picked. He could take the Hughton approach of never changing anything when it was going wrong and, guess what, we’d get the same outcome every time.

He’s trying his best to find a spark and is unfortunate that he’s not had a spell of success with the club in an easier division to keep the fans off his back.

I think too many players are waiting for someone else to take responsibility. Do what we’re doing with a bit more conviction and we’d get results - or at least would have done. It might be a bit late now, given the remaining fixtures.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

We're a long way off threatening FFP so not sure why that's being introduced and our cost base isn't dissimilar to several clubs above us

We're obviously a bottom 6 PL club but that doesn't really correlate to a top 6 Championship club and nor do I see being relegated as being consistent with 'our future has never looked better' statement

I think we've royally ****ed up, there are lots of moving parts that have contributed to that and it could take years to recover. Far from progressing, I'm of a view we've gone backwards since being promoted

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Or, what would you do?

Nobody wants Potter to succeed more than me.

But it was his call to ship out the little magician Andone, and to a lesser extent, Locadia.

And he has never replaced them. Despite all logic pointing to the fact we can’t finish or take our chances. ‘Completely happy with the squad’ he told us. Arrogant or misguided? Or correct? You have to say the results and missed chances speak for themselves.

Not putting Alexis in the match day squad for the past 2 games is also looking quite questionable.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Unbelievable..........6 wins all year, lost the players, constant chopping and changing of the team which emphasises he doesn’t know he best 11. He comes across as completely clueless (similar to Hyppia) in his interviews. Potterball is a myth of passing the ball around a lot at the back.
What exactly is the something special you predict?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Not quite sure why Potter can even be questioned about yesterday.

3 absolute GOLDEN chances wasted

He can’t be to blame when players don’t do their job correctly.

Potter has his faults and he part of the reason we are in the position we are in, but poor individual errors are the reason for defeat yesterday.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Potter has his faults and he part of the reason we are in the position we are in, but poor individual errors are the reason for defeat yesterday.

But it’s not all about yesterday is it! It’s about 6 wins in 28 games and none in 2020. GP can’t seem to motivate the players, look at Watford and the tempo they played at last night. When was the last time you saw our lot anywhere near that level? That was all down to the management and I don’t think GP can inspire our lot in the same way!

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
I'll have a go.

Start the game with a right winger and not expect Montoya to provide everything down that side. We improved massively when March was moved over there.

Play Burn at CB with Dunk and get Bernardo playing left back. Defensively Burn is excellent but in a team with few attacking ideas of late, we need someone better going forward. I'd be also tempted by playing March there again but will go for Bernardo.

Play Alzate in the middle of the park. Don't want to have too much of a go here as I think he's had a niggle recently so hasn't been starting. But when he's fit, he should play with Propper. Either with Stephens behind them, or a no.10 in front of them.

Ali J, shows class again when he came on. Excellent movement, some quality on the ball. Play him on the right for a run of games.

Right back, Montoya is a decent player, Schelotto tries hard but we lack quality in that position. We can't win a game and Potter expects our RB to provide so much of our width, yet persists with them both. We've just signed a quick attacking full back who very recently played for Chelsea...play him! What's the worst that can happen, we already can't win a game and most of our goals come down that side (or so it seems).

And yes, I'd have some stability and not tinker so much.

It might sound like I don't like Potter but I really do. I think he and the team are very close to where we want to be. Even if we go down I'd like him to stay in charge.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

But who picks the players?

And who chooses the starting line up and who gets in the squad?

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
But it’s not all about yesterday is it! It’s about 6 wins in 28 games and none in 2020. GP can’t seem to motivate the players, look at Watford and the tempo they played at last night. When was the last time you saw our lot anywhere near that level? That was all down to the management and I don’t think GP can inspire our lot in the same way!

Some fair points .... some massive assumptions and opinions also.

No it isn’t just about yesterday but until we have a manager who is backed financially to match the aspirations that Bloom and Barber keep proclaiming things we remain as they are now.

Asking Potter to come in and play a style of football that Bloom/Barber/Ashworth want with the players we have here is like asking Lewis Hamilton to win driving a Ford Capri.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here