Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Happy with the squad’.. are we now paying the price for not signing a Striker in the wind

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Because after the last few games, this is my overriding feeling.

I’m genuinely concerned some at the club were a bit arrogant in assuming we’d stay up this season.

90% of us watching and certainly here on NSC were crying out for the club to sign a striker — yet all we repeatedly heard was how happy GP was with the squad.

Well I think the chances spurned and our overall lack of goals in 2020 tells its own story.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Think GP is the only person happy with the squad as everyone else was crying out for us to sign a striker. Especially after we shipped out Locadia and Andone (what a genius move that was!).

Bognor Seagull

Dec 2, 2011
Last reasonable centre forward was Tomer Hemed. We have struggled for goals ever since being in the top flight. We all knew that Andone & Locadia leaving was futile. To not bring in any replacements in January was at best arrogant & at worst acceptance of relegation - perhaps there is not such a desire by our chairman now for BHA to be a top flight club. After all we are only going to make up the numbers at best?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
When we failed to bring a striker in during the window I said it would likely cost us our top flight status and it’s now looking highly likely. The squad was desperate for a lift, although to be honest even if we did get one unlikely Potter would even be including them in the match day 18.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Last reasonable centre forward was Tomer Hemed. We have struggled for goals ever since being in the top flight. We all knew that Andone & Locadia leaving was futile. To not bring in any replacements in January was at best arrogant & at worst acceptance of relegation - perhaps there is not such a desire by our chairman now for BHA to be a top flight club. After all we are only going to make up the numbers at best?

I do think you may have hit the nail on the head with this.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
He can’t say he isn’t happy publicly can he ?

Some managers certainly make their feelings clear in postmatch interviews but GP always says he's happy and thinks we've played well (or words to that effect).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Like most pro sports people, Potter is an optimist, he’s also not a complaining bitch (Mourinho, Poyet).

When the squad first met for training post 31st January, I strongly believe that Potter would’ve been quietly confident that performances and wins would roll. Confident in the squad, confident in his methods, not letting negative demons enter his head. Not blunted by no new striker.

The problem is that Pearson, Dyche, Howe, Farke, Bruce, Smith, Hodgson, Hasenhuttl and Moyes are also confident. Some of them manage better far strikers, game-changers and midfielders than us.

PL life is brutal. The Albion are suffering for the third consecutive season with an inadequate squad.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

You think Tony Bloom would like to see us relegated?!

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I don't know why, but we have always been ponderous in the final third. Maybe something different happens in training, buy few look comfortable near the box, few seem to feel the urgency of movement or have the composure...but to be fair we were like that under Chris and Gus.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Like most pro sports people, Potter is an optimist, he’s also not a complaining bitch (Mourinho, Poyet).

When the squad first met for training post 31st January, I strongly believe that Potter would’ve been quietly confident that performances and wins would roll. Confident in the squad, confident in his methods, not letting negative demons enter his head. Not blunted by no new striker.

The problem is that Pearson, Dyche, Howe, Farke, Bruce, Smith, Hodgson, Hasenhuttl and Moyes are also confident. Some of them manage better far strikers, game-changers and midfielders than us.

PL life is brutal. The Albion are suffering for the third consecutive season with an inadequate squad.

We all know, as fans, that our squad has been inadequate this season, and it was even more obvious in January than in the summer. Why the club can't see what is blindingly obvious is a complete mystery. There are none so blind as those who will not see.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Spot on. Problem also is that GP is also learning on the job, which isn't really very ideal in the scenario we now find ourselves in. Can't see us stopping the slide now tbh

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't know why, but we have always been ponderous in the final third. Maybe something different happens in training, buy few look comfortable near the box, few seem to feel the urgency of movement or have the composure...but to be fair we were like that under Chris and Gus.

Baldock and Knockaert the exceptions in all those years, but at a lower level.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Plenty managers of other clubs express deep frustration so he could if wanted. Clearly not his style though, he’s too new wave, positive vibes, man manager type. Trouble is, his style is now looking like he’s lost the plot. Clueless. Maybe he is?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Need a decent striker. Been same story for years. Not just about price, but willingness to come here, and whilst we scrabble about at the bottom, will always be difficult. Bit that annoys me is that we will pay big money for defenders, but not a striker?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here