Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Players not manager?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
After witnessing that today and recent performances, I really believe we’ve got to start questioning the mentality and ability of some our long term players rather than point fingers at Potter.

It was so unbelievably similar to how we played from February to the end of last season. We have looked weak, mentally fragile, predictable and desperate for weeks, exactly as we looked then despite a complete change of management, coaches and style of play.

We say we have a no dick heads policy but maybe we also have a no bottle policy and possibly we do need some dickheads. Ryan, Montoya, Dunk, Duffy, March, Propper, Stephens, Gross, Murray, Ali J. All equally culpable last season and this. I leave Bissouma out as I think he was good today as he usually is when given a rare chance.

Big shake up needed in the summer whatever division we’re in.

On the other hand, Dan Burn is bloody brilliant. Full of spirit, bottle and ability. The others need to look at him and learn.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
After witnessing that today and recent performances, I really believe we’ve got to start questioning the mentality and ability of some our long term players rather than point fingers at Potter.

It was so unbelievably similar to how we played from February to the end of last season. We have looked weak, mentally fragile, predictable and desperate for weeks, exactly as we looked then despite a complete change of management, coaches and style of play.

We say we have a no dick heads policy but maybe we also have a no bottle policy and possibly we do need some dickheads. Ryan, Montoya, Dunk, Duffy, March, Propper, Stephens, Gross, Murray, Ali J. All equally culpable last season and this. I leave Bissouma out as I think he was good today as he usually is when given a rare chance.

Big shake up needed in the summer whatever division we’re in.

On the other hand, Dan Burn is bloody brilliant. Full of spirit, bottle and ability. The others need to look at him and learn.

Completely agree, as been saying on the Potter thread. Today was completely down to the players.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Two very poor substitution and that is down to the manager. Moiy and Trossard were poor , thought Bissouma and March contributed more.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Two very poor substitution and that is down to the manager. Moiy and Trossard were poor , thought Bissouma and March contributed more.

March ran down Blind alleys as usual, created nothing and when he had his big chance he fluffed it .

In effect he offered nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed.

The same players very rarely deliver wins, under two completely different coaches.

The common factor is the players.

Occasionally NSC’ers post that they can’t believe what an amazing squad we have, oozing PL quality in depth.

What complete and utter tosh.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The manager, he is asking for a complete change in playing style too quickly.

I get why, but its being done too quickly and with a large number of the same players.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The constant tinkering with the team and matchday squad is baffling, not only for the fans , but especially so for the players.
In the team one day, then not even in the squad for a bit, then straight back in the team!
'In out, in out, shake it all about'. Doing the Hokey -Cokey, has got nothing on G.P.'s team selections!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The constant tinkering with the team and matchday squad is baffling, not only for the fans , but especially so for the players.
In the team one day, then not even in the squad for a bit, then straight back in the team!
'In out, in out, shake it all about'. Doing the Hokey -Cokey, has got nothing on G.P.'s team selections!

Yawn

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
The manager, he is asking for a complete change in playing style too quickly.

I get why, but its being done too quickly and with a large number of the same players.

They're Premier League Footballers who have been playing since they were kids, so I assume they're experienced enough to understand what the manager is asking. If they're not smart enough to be able to take on board a new way of playing, then goodbye.

So disappointed today. Aside from Dunk (solid game, but rather emotionless) the only people who looked like they actually gave a toss were Bissouma, Burn and Maupay. Mooy looked like he left his head at home, Solly continues to frustrate - and Trossard just looks like a small child against PL defenders if he can't do his little jinky runs.

I find it SO frustrating when the players don't chase the ball, shut people down immediately, look angry when they misplace a pass or even shout each other down. It's just... well... a 'meh - we're getting our wages no matter what' kind of expression on their faces. P*sses me off.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's really not as simple as that though is it.

The manager has been brought in to get the best out of the players.

He has responsibility for results.

You can't say that the manager is having a great season, but the players aren't.

That is clearly bullshit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Just 3 changes SheffUtd, 1 of those was forced with Duffy having a family bereavement. Montoya in for Schelotto, March in for Murray.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Just 3 changes SheffUtd, 1 of those was forced with Duffy having a family bereavement. Montoya in for Schelotto, March in for Murray.

Granted, but I am commenting about the season as a whole, not just lately.
May be I am wrong, and I understand the wish to adapt the team and tactics to match/beat the opposition, but G.P. seems to take it to extremes.
Well, it's a view. Some may agree he 'tinkers' too much and others wont.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yawn to you too, Lamie!
The point I was making was also made by Warren Aspinall, so I am not entirely on my own.
When you've finished yawning, what is your view?

I’m sure you aren’t ..and I quite respect/like WA..doesn’t necessarily mean he’s right ..three changes today ..one enforced.. you’d have expected Trossard to be playing at home ...Both he and
Montoya had good game’s offensively at Palace and March looked as good as anyone else ...so I don’t see today as about too many changes :)

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They're Premier League Footballers who have been playing since they were kids, so I assume they're experienced enough to understand what the manager is asking. If they're not smart enough to be able to take on board a new way of playing, then goodbye.

So disappointed today. Aside from Dunk (solid game, but rather emotionless) the only people who looked like they actually gave a toss were Bissouma, Burn and Maupay. Mooy looked like he left his head at home, Solly continues to frustrate - and Trossard just looks like a small child against PL defenders if he can't do his little jinky runs.

I find it SO frustrating when the players don't chase the ball, shut people down immediately, look angry when they misplace a pass or even shout each other down. It's just... well... a 'meh - we're getting our wages no matter what' kind of expression on their faces. P*sses me off.

Who may not be suited to the new style of football, which the results indicate maybe the case.

Just because they are PL footballers doesnt mean they are suited to every style.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It's really not as simple as that though is it.

The manager has been brought in to get the best out of the players.

He has responsibility for results.

You can't say that the manager is having a great season, but the players aren't.

That is clearly bullshit.

Where did I say the manager is having a great season? Clearly he’s made mistakes. A massive one at the moment for me is leaving out Alzate and starting Mooy.

But it is so reminiscent of last season’s capitulation that it can’t all be the manager. I think a lot of our players have been getting off lightly for a long time now and there seems a be a real mentality issue. We all knew what was going to happen today as the match played out.

He was given 70 million to augment the Hughton squad. Of course it’s the manager

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here