Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] differing Accounts/passwords

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
I use My Passwords app or KeePass which is also another good one, only have to remember 1 master password and you can bank all your entries

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I had an issue with a my laptop and all my passwords that were stored were deleted , meaning that every site I had to re enter the passwords. Most of which I got wrong. On trying to reset them I found that the sites now wanted stronger passwords, that contained letters, numbers, special characters etc. I couldn't use anything that had been used in previous passwords, repeating sequences, duplicate numbers or letters. Now all of this is fine for banking or the like, but when I just want to order a birthday card, or a box of bloody water filters for me coffee machine I really dont see why you cant use the password you want.By the time I had managed to get back into all the sites I think I had used every swear word I know and invented a couple, while almost throwing the laptop in the bin!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have all mine on an Excel spreadsheet, named something innocuous.

Then I change the font to white, so if opened it looks like a blank worksheet. When I want to recall a password I simply highlight the text, then on exiting, select 'don't save changes.'

This is probably really crap and insecure but if it makes me feel like I'm Q from For Your Eyes Only, no harm done. :shrug:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I had a nightmare trying to get into my banking app recently.

I cut my thumb at work so the fingerprint scanner wasn't recognising my fingerprint so went for the password option.

Typed in password. Rejected.
Tried again. Rejected.

Now I have a conundrum, have I forgotten it? (highly unlikely) as I use it a lot.

Now doubt creeps in if I actually have or not.

I decide I havent forgotten it and go with the "fat thumb" theory and that I've mistyped it, so I click that little eye symbol thing to see what I type.

Rejected, account is now locked.

**** sake and other expletives cascade from my mouth.

Go to forgotten password and ask for the email to reset it.

Email arrives.

Type in password.

Error. Password must not be the same as the old password.

"****ing ****ing ****ty ****ing ****! **** off you bunch of ****a.

How I didn't launch my phone into a wall I don't know. And I'm still locked out of my account.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder

Then I change the font to white, so if opened it looks like a blank worksheet. When I want to recall a password I simply highlight the text, then on exiting, select 'don't save changes.'

This is probably really crap and insecure but if it makes me feel like I'm Q from For Your Eyes Only, no harm done. :shrug:

And there I was thinking I was the only person to think of that. Mine however isn’t named ”something innocuous”!

Damn you [MENTION=600]Bry Nylon[/MENTION] :annoyed:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

It's really crap and insecure. Use a proper password manager!

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We’ve got this at work and it drives me nuts - mainly because we have so many systems from different providers. Our password manager system doesn’t work on all of them and then messes up my remote login when I want to work from home.

I’ve had to write down which systems it works with and then the passwords for the ones which don’t. Which kind of defeats the object.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This isn't an issue with the password manager, more a control freak IT department.

You could of course do something radical and get your own for your own personal use, which is actually what you are expecting your employer to provide. It really doesn't cost much (time or money) for the convenience and piece of mind.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Password managers are great. Over and above the password you can put loads of useful info in the 'notes' which is all fully encrypted. So for the banking app, all the account numbers and sort codes and those 'memorable words' all go in the notes. Passport info, vehicle reg details, tyre sizes, you name it - I keep it all in there. I use Password Safe. Just make sure that one way or other, you back it up (and never lose that master password).

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I had a nightmare trying to get into my banking app recently.

I cut my thumb at work so the fingerprint scanner wasn't recognising my fingerprint so went for the password option.

Typed in password. Rejected.
Tried again. Rejected.

Now I have a conundrum, have I forgotten it? (highly unlikely) as I use it a lot.

Now doubt creeps in if I actually have or not.

I decide I havent forgotten it and go with the "fat thumb" theory and that I've mistyped it, so I click that little eye symbol thing to see what I type.

Rejected, account is now locked.

**** sake and other expletives cascade from my mouth.

Go to forgotten password and ask for the email to reset it.

Email arrives.

Type in password.

Error. Password must not be the same as the old password.

"****ing ****ing ****ty ****ing ****! **** off you bunch of ****a.

How I didn't launch my phone into a wall I don't know. And I'm still locked out of my account.

Go the settings on your phone and add another finger or thumb for fingerprint access ???

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In order to get into my work laptop, provided by the client I’m seconded into, I have to first log in with my user name and a 16 character password. I then log into Windows with my user name and a password that I have to change every 3 months. Then, in order to get onto the network to access files and email, I log in with my user name and an 8 number password, the first 4 of which I have to remember and the second 4 generated by a fob that changes the code every minute.

I also have a laptop provided by my employer and log into this one initially with a code that I have to remember but based on company name and asset number, then into Windows with my user name and a password that I have to change every 3 months and then into the VPN to access files with the same login as Windows.

I can’t work completely from one or the other as they won’t access the other’s systems.

My main excitement in the morning is the race to see which one I can actually work on first.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here