Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classical music.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As a yoof I was never into the genre of classical music, always the music of the time when growing up.
As now older, over the years I've appreciated listening to Classic FM, as I found it a great benefit when driving home from work, after a busy day and even more so when stuck in traffic jams for long period of times.
I've recently purchased Stephen Fry's Mythos Suite narration of the Greek mythology in music, its brilliant.

Any others into the classics :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Like me Beethoven, Handel and Greig plus a bit of Sibelius. I like some of the overtures from the classic Italian operas and of course some Bach.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’ve always loved certain pieces of classical music. The NSC classical music thread contains a great selection. My favourites include:

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - Williams
The Lark Ascending - Williams
Solveig’s Song - Grieg
Nimrod - Elgar
Adagio For Strings - Samuel Barber (no relation of Paul?)
The Watermill - Binge
Moldau - Smetana
New World Symphony - Dvorak
Hymn of the Cherubim - Tchaikovsky

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I listen to this stuff. Used to have my walkman playing something light when I was waiting for the whistle to low at the start of a fishing match, I now go through different genres when decorating

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I’ve always loved certain pieces of classical music. The NSC classical music thread contains a great selection. My favourites include:

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - Williams
The Lark Ascending - Williams
Solveig’s Song - Grieg
Nimrod - Elgar
Adagio For Strings - Samuel Barber (no relation of Paul?)
The Watermill - Binge
Moldau - Smetana
New World Symphony - Dvorak
Hymn of the Cherubim - Tchaikovsky

Elgar's Nimrod at Rembrance Sunday is quite stirring

Elgars home in Worcestershire is worth a visit, its run by the National Trust.
We went last year and found out there are links with Sussex.
https://elgarinsussex.weebly.com/

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Middle age comes with a love of all things classical

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Vaughan Williams, Chopin, Aaron Copland, Sibelius,Tchaikovsky, Bach are favourites. I have an LP (showing my age) of 'Blues on Bach' by The Modern Jazz Quartet... lovely stuff. Classic FM is my go to station on a long drive when I've given up trying to find music I like on Heart, the Breeze, etc.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My Dad ran the Music Library in Church Street in the 70s-90s (Cote Brassiere last time I was in town), so I grew up with it. I used to babysit for next door from when I was about 12, mainly so I could listen to their Bowie collection!

Still enjoy it, but veer towards CDs and Radio 3 more then Classic FM, as the adverts drive me nuts, and the same pieces come round. But it's different music for different occasions, last week a Mahler symphony was an excellent accompaniment to a drive to work right through the heart of the Lake District, with Marconi Union on the way back.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Classic FM is the only station in my car....all cars should only have classic FM to cure road rage.
My 2 favourite composers are Shostakovich and Sergei Rachmaninoff

Give it a listen its much better than Radio Shouty Boom Boom....

and vote in the Classic FM Hall of fame.

I'm astounded :wink:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
My grandfather was a cellist in a couple of big orchestra's back in the day, and I remember being very little, being spellbound when he was practicing at home. He was always playing intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana on the gramophone and I always love hearing it. Was a very sharp dresser, sadly didnt rub off on me. Check the shoes out :lolol: A different age.

Attachments

• 56293800_125876718572718_3819169917005987840_n.jpg
    56293800_125876718572718_3819169917005987840_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 172

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Still enjoy it, but veer towards CDs and Radio 3 more then Classic FM, as the adverts drive me nuts, and the same pieces come round. But it's different music for different occasions, last week a Mahler symphony was an excellent accompaniment to a drive to work right through the heart of the Lake District, with Marconi Union on the way back.

I'm amazed to see the love for Classic FM on here, I think it's an awful station - they do keep playing the same thing over and over. Radio 3 is the way to go - it's the only music station I listen to - much more varied than Classic FM

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here