Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reading FC

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good morning.

I was just having a little look around last night's Championship results for all the Albion connections there in.

Everything seems to be ticking along nicely, with the exception of our main summer striker target not getting off the bench v Massive.

Naturally in palace week my mind turned to Balogun, 3-0 away win at Reading, in front of:-

10,088 fans. :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

The Mad Stad with 1,500 more people than Withdean :ohmy:

I bet that was a joyous evening.

If at least 2 of the boxes aren't ticked on this thread, you have all let NSC down.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good morning.

I was just having a little look around last night's Championship results for all the Albion connections there in.

Everything seems to be ticking along nicely, with the exception of our main summer striker target not getting off the bench v Massive.

Naturally in palace week my mind turned to Balogun, 3-0 away win at Reading, in front of:-

If at least 2 of the boxes aren't ticked on this thread, you have all let NSC down.

77dfa5f0113028263a56c1f5f26b36c8.jpg

...and from the Wigan forum (other examples available) :

I'm not going to nominate a MOTM because the team played well as a unit but that Balogun is a bloody cracker.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Gotta have a chuckle at Boro too, only out the bottom 3 on goal difference now.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good morning.

Hemed? ???

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Get relegated and spend a couple seasons in the lower reaches of the Championship and I imagine our gates would also drop to around 10k. Never underestimate the fickleness of football fans.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Would it be too much to ask for them to go down? Boro and Reading making a late charge for the relegation places, mmm, what a lovely thought.

Jonathan Woodgate repeatedly pestered my then girlfriend in his Leeds days.
She denies anything happened.....hmm.
Glad to see he’s easing them towards relegation.
And she’s lost her looks and piled on the pounds, too.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Get relegated and spend a couple seasons in the lower reaches of the Championship and I imagine our gates would also drop to around 10k. Never underestimate the fickleness of football fans.

Yes. Completely with you. Think we’d have a hard core of between 12k-15k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

I really don't think that's true now. We were still getting £22K in the Championship watching the absolute dross of the Hyypia era. I can't imagine that another season or two of that would have lost us half our fans. 15,000 maybe, but not 10,000.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really don't think that's true now. We were still getting £22K in the Championship watching the absolute dross of the Hyypia era. I can't imagine that another season or two of that would have lost us half our fans. 15,000 maybe, but not 10,000.

I remember the last time we fell out of the top flight, admittedly it went ver pear shaped but the crowds went from 25k down to 8k (?) as we slipped through the divisions

There wasn’t Sky either and the Amex is not exactly easy to get to and from, so the temptation to bin live football for the tv is much greater now.

Hoping not to be proved right or wrong though :smile:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Though the 22k included no shows.
I guess if we had a Hyypia season, the following one would be the measuring stick as any expectation would be managed.

I must admit if we did go down, I would anticipate us being very competitive...

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Though the 22k included no shows.
I guess if we had a Hyypia season, the following one would be the measuring stick as any expectation would be managed.

I must admit if we did go down, I would anticipate us being very competitive...

I think that's a big difference between us and others who went down and then struggled, the way we have been run and then depth of quality youngsters coming through means we "should" be towards the top of the Championship.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes, Stat Brother's latest utterly hilarious posting trait is to bang on as often as possible about how Hemed is supposedly our main Summer striker target.

Side splitting stuff.

Yeah, I know that old routine, but how can one of our players (which TH was until late August) be a target? Or does he mean NEXT summer?

Let's face it, if a joke needs explaining, it's not a very good one, is it? :dunce:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I remember the last time we fell out of the top flight, admittedly it went ver pear shaped but the crowds went from 25k down to 8k (?) as we slipped through the divisions

There wasn’t Sky either and the Amex is not exactly easy to get to and from, so the temptation to bin live football for the tv is much greater now.

Hoping not to be proved right or wrong though :smile:

Very very different era generally and for the club.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good morning.

Mock others at your peril, how do you expect our attendance figures to stand up should we find ourselves in a similar position? Gloat all you like, but it could happen to us one day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm not disagreeing with you, but those 22,000 people had committed to season tickets when Garcia was still in charge and we were heading towards the play-offs.

Two or three seasons of dross is a different thing completely.

Bums on seats was a different thing to stated pretendances then. I think it was during that era that the FOI request was responded to that revealed an actual attendance of c15k - not a million miles away from Reading's.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Hmmm. True, but that was before we'd drunk from the Premier League cup. Now we've sampled that heady brew would 22,000 (real figure, not pretendance) still turn up to see Peterborough on a Tuesday night in January? Especially given that, as expected, a large part of the fanbase now has a sense of entitlement and thinks that some/most/all of the players (especially the strikers) aren't good enough and that we should win more games. And certainly should win games in the Championship.

A successful Championship side, yeah maybe the attendances won't drop that much overall. A struggling Hypia-class one that's spent several season out of the PL (like Reading) and I think Icy's prediction will be more or less accurate. Let's hope we never find out!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Here you go...

Tuesday 4th November, Albion v Wigan

"The council are not required to keep records on a match by match basis of attendance. We review safety management arrangements on a quarterly basis and at that time attendance figures are noted. The ground is an all seater stadium and as such has a limit to its capacity. The recent match that we reviewed which coincidentally was on the 4th November had an attendance of 16,133"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here