Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] M23 closed northbound all Saturday ( and rest of March weekends)

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Just been told about this, in case anyone (other than Nige ls) travelling from/to M25 on Saturday.

Will also potentially hit Wolves/Arsenal/Leicester games :

Friday 28 February to Monday 2 March - FULL WEEKEND CLOSURE OF M23 NORTHBOUND
As part of the ongoing M23 Smart Motorway Project, the M23 will be closed for FIVE weekends. Work will begin on Friday 28 February and continue for the next four weekends.

The northbound carriageway will be closed between Junction 10 (Crawley) and Junction 8 (M25) from 21:00 on Friday 28 February until 05:00 on Monday 2 March.

For Gatwick Airport, traffic will be diverted off the motorway at Junction 10 and via A2011, A23 and Airport Way to reach the terminals. For the M25, traffic will follow the A264 and A22 to join the M25 at Junction 6 (Godstone).

The diversion route is expected to be very busy and delays should be expected in the local area. Passengers are advised to allow plenty of additional time for their journey and to consider alternative modes of transport where possible.

The southbound carriageway will remain open to traffic throughout the weekend.

Please note the following sequence of weekend closures:

Friday 6 March to Monday 9 March – Southbound Junction 8 - Junction 10
Friday 13 March to Monday 16 March- Northbound Junction 10 - Junction 8
Friday 20 March to Monday 23 March – Southbound Junction 8 - Junction 10

On the final weekend, the closure direction will switch after 28 hours:

21:00 Friday 27 March to 01:00 Sunday 29 March – Northbound Junction 10 - Junction 8
01:00 Sunday 29 March to 05:00 Monday 30 March – Southbound Junction 8 - Junction 10
M23 Smart Motorway project
Highways England are upgrading the M23 between Junction 8 (M25) and Junction 10 (Crawley) to an all lane running (ALR) smart motorway. Construction starts in June 2018 and will run to spring 2020.

When it’s finished, the M23 will have four running lanes in each direction with a variable speed limit controlled by dynamic signage. The westbound spur road (towards Gatwick) will also be upgraded to three running lanes.

HOW WILL THIS IMPACT JOURNEY TIMES?
Journey times will be longer than normal. Although the usual three lanes will be maintained throughout the two-year project, a reduced speed limit of 50mph will be in place due to narrow lanes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wasn’t the M23 upgraded a few years ago? Why didn’t they do this then?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I assume this is part of the Smart Motorway upgrade ensuring more people might get killed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Ever increasing vehicle use in southern England, the M23 northbound after Gatwick is often nose to tail in traffic, with jams starting many miles before the M25.

Not sure of they’re making the M23 4 or 5 lanes?

Genuine question, have Germans got the message and has car use dropped at all in recent years?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Ever increasing vehicle use in southern England, the M23 northbound after Gatwick is often nose to tail in traffic, with jams starting many miles before the M25.

Given that they don't appear to be upgrading the M23/M25 junction, which is where the bottleneck is, I've yet to work out how supplying 4 lanes of traffic northbound is going to help things. Let alone the fact that the benefits of Smart Motorways are now being seriously questioned on both safety and limited capacity grounds.

Better to spend the money on the railways and discourage traffic growth that way.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
12 safety run off points in the 11.3 mile stretch apparently.

And they are closing the motorway the whole weekend to make a death trap.

It just defies belief.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Smart Motorways, my arse.
They are anything but. I thought the powers that be were calling a halt to these wretched things until a ' Safety Review' had been carried out.:shrug::shrug:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Smart Motorways, my arse.
They are anything but. I thought the powers that be were calling a halt to these wretched things until a ' Safety Review' had been carried out.:shrug::shrug:

I thought that also, was under the impression that all smart motorway works was put on hold until the review had taken place.

They are nearly finished so I suspect them to just carry on with the works.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Genuine question, have Germans got the message and has car use dropped at all in recent years?

I’m not sure to be honest. Not a reduction, but I’ve heard that car usage per capita hasn’t risen as much as expected in Berlin; this is the main argument against a major piece of road building happening in the south east of the city. It was approved a long time ago, most of it has been built, but the last section is the most controversial as it carves up a nice area. Initiatives like car share/rental, those pesky scooters and improved public transport have contributed to this.

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Swindon Seagull - you might consider taking the A24 from Worthing to join up with the M25 then M4. That's the route I use from Shoreham when I go to visit a nate in Thatcham

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
D ucking HEEEEEEELLLL!

This is an absolute nightmare. Already been caught up in a dozen of the previous ones, sometimes they shut without notice and at 10pm it just ain’t funny fighting up to 45mins just to get onto the diversion slip road. Several occasions it’s been impossible to basically Go north and West from Brighton late at night. M23 shut, m25 shut, m4 shut and m40 shut and precious little notice. This country is a fecking nightmare to move around and partly why gave up my ST. Add Sky and the PL utter contempt for fans who actually go to matches and it’s enough to break yer! :rant::angry::drama:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Even easier: Shoreham A283 to Washington then A24

So, question for any knowledgeable people.

I'll be going back to Essex, do you think the A24 to M25 would be quicker than A22 (diversion route) or A26/A21?

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
So, question for any knowledgeable people.

I'll be going back to Essex, do you think the A24 to M25 would be quicker than A22 (diversion route) or A26/A21?

I would go A26/A21 and will be doing that, albeit only to Sevenoaks/M25.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here