Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] R.I.P Crazy Cavan Grogan....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I know many won't give a flying.....

But I do just last week sadly Cavan Grogan died aged 70.

Slightly before my time, but I have seen them play several times, and always put on a great show.
Crazy Cavan started the ball rolling and the interest grew in the Rockabilly revival in the late 70s early 80s which in turn gave us Psychobilly.
So it was fitting the last time I saw them play was at the big psychobilly festival in Spain two years ago as special guests.

His son Joe plays in a Psychobilly band called Graveyard Johnnys, so the music lives on.

There was a time when teddyboys ruled the streets, people crossed the roads, punks and skinheads ran, they kick started our amazing sub cultures.

Tributes are being paid to one of Newport’s best-known rock legends who has died aged 70.

Cavan Grogan was a vocalist with rockabilly group Crazy Cavan and the Rhythm Rockers. He formed the band in 1964, quickly amassing a loyal following with their abrasive style of rock ‘n’ roll.
Considered by many as pioneers of the Teddy Boy culture revival in the UK, the Rhythm Rockers toured tirelessly over the past 50 years, performing shows and festivals around Europe & America.

Standing on the corner, swinging my chain
Along came a copper and he took my name
He put his dirty maulers on my long drape coat
So i whipped out my razor and i... slit his throat…

[yt]mJ0sakJQu-c[/yt]

Attachments

• 0_cavan-collage.jpg
    0_cavan-collage.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 211

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick

Slightly before my time, but I have seen them play several times, and always put on a great show.
Crazy Cavan started the ball rolling and the interest grew in the Rockabilly revival in the late 70s early 80s which in turn gave us Psychobilly.
So it was fitting the last time I saw them play was at the big psychobilly festival in Spain two years ago as special guests.

His son Joe plays in a Psychobilly band called Graveyard Johnnys, so the music lives on.

There was a time when teddyboys ruled the streets, people crossed the roads, punks and skinheads ran, they kick started our amazing sub cultures.

Tributes are being paid to one of Newport’s best-known rock legends who has died aged 70.

Cavan Grogan was a vocalist with rockabilly group Crazy Cavan and the Rhythm Rockers. He formed the band in 1964, quickly amassing a loyal following with their abrasive style of rock ‘n’ roll.
Considered by many as pioneers of the Teddy Boy culture revival in the UK, the Rhythm Rockers toured tirelessly over the past 50 years, performing shows and festivals around Europe & America.

[yt]mJ0sakJQu-c[/yt]

Well I give a flying **** !
A true master of his genre - great band

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

[yt]mJ0sakJQu-c[/yt]

I'm afraid I have never heard of the band.
For some reason I have never really pursued the psychobilly/rockabilly genre, despite really liking most of it that I've heard.
Will check them out.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm afraid I have never heard of the band.
For some reason I have never really pursued the psychobilly/rockabilly genre, despite really liking most of it that I've heard.
Will check them out.

No need to apologize, the genres are acquired tastes, and I can see why people don't like it.
Having said that, you should, but keep in mind this was all happening when the Bay City Rollers and other bland bands ruled the charts, even before punk, it was the punk of it's day.

That is why so many bands covered Rockabilly songs like the Clashes "Brand new Cadillac"

In my first job one of my work colleagues and her husband were "Teds" and they were huge fans of him. Perhaps I ought to give him a listen, sounds like a "been there, done that" type of of artist and he clearly had a strong cult following.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
What a proud legacy. Though by the the time punks and (not) skinheads ruled the earth, genuine teddyboys had already been extinct for a decade or two :rolleyes:

That was my opinion but Wiki disagrees.

The new generation of Teds adopted some aspects of the 1950s but with a large glam rock influence, including louder colours for drape jackets, brothel creepers and socks and shiny satin shirts worn with bootlace ties, jeans and big-buckled belts. The 1970s Teddy Boys often sported flamboyant pompadour hairstyles in addition to long sideburns[29] and added hairspray to grease/pomade to style their hair. In the late 1970s, the new generation became the enemies of the Westwood and Sex Pistols-inspired punk rockers. In the spring of 1977, street battles between young punks and aging teds happened on London's King's Road, where the earliest new-wave shops, including Westwood and McLaren's Sex (by now not selling zoot suits and ted gear anymore), were situated.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As I’ve told you before Freakout, I had many a night in the mid 70’s down at The Clarence in Portslade listening to Crazy Cavan.

Great live act and an early age to go. Good man. He can gig in the sky with Vince Taylor now and look for the Spiders from Mars.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What a proud legacy. Though by the the time punks and (not) skinheads ruled the earth, genuine teddyboys had already been extinct for a decade or two :rolleyes:

Not true, the rock’n’roll / rockabilly revival started as a sub culture early 70s before punk and grew big enough.
In London and other large towns the teds outnumbered the punks, and later in 79 when young kids got bored of punk re invented rockabilly with young fresh energy, such bands like the polecats, blue cats and stray cats.
Later in 1980 young kids who loved the driving beat of a rockabilly double bass, wanted it faster and not just songs about love and Cadillac cars, came with the energy of punk invented Psychobilly.

When I first got into music it was rockabilly, I heard the meteors on John Peel, and could not work out if it was punk or rockabilly.
In fact most Rockin clubs would not play the neo rockabilly or Psychobilly records or book the bands, and some still won’t,even though the scene is too small to be split up.
I saw many a fight probably more fights actually between Psychobillies, Rockabillies or Teds (who by 79 hated even the rockabillies) than us and townies.

All great fun, and part of growing up, watching bands who play for the love of the music, knowing full well they will never get rich....

None of the above would not of happened to the same degree if at all, had Cavan not basically started the revival in Wales and brought it to the small clubs in London where is blossomed into a large sub culture.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

[yt]mJ0sakJQu-c[/yt]

I couldn't open your post yesterday (have problems with NSC on and off), but he looks very familiar, did he live locally?
Great name btw

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here