Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Games - The Best, The Worst and Inbetween

el punal

Trawling through my memory of the Albion v Palace matches I’ve watched over the last 40 years and here are a few that stick in my mind :

My first Palace encounter, the one that probably kicked off the whole rivalry of we hate them/they hate us. August 1974. First game of the season at the Goldstone. Lots going on on the pitch and off. We win 1-0 scored by Spider Mellor. Let battle commence.

The BEST!! February 1976 at the Goldstone. In my opinion the best ever atmosphere at our old home. More than 33,000 packed in for a grudge match of monumental proportions. We win 2-0 to cement bragging rights for months to come. Hate and euphoria in equal measure that night.

Second Best - St.Paddy’s Day at the Amex 2013. We’d been on a terrible run, Palace exactly the opposite. Many of forecasting how many we would lose by. A wet, miserable Sunday to boot. Something happened, we went 1-0 up, then Spanish Dave’s superb free kick - 2-0, then Leo in the second half - 3-0! Guinness never tasted so good.
But . . . . a few weeks later . . .

The WORST = The second leg playoff after our 0-0 at Selhurst. The start of Gus-gate and every horrible thing that went with it. An unbelievably disappointing and sad end to the season in every way compounded by the Palace scum ramming it down our throats. :tantrum:

The WORST = The Challis Of Palace debacle at Stamford Bridge. The second replay of the FA Cup 1st round after 2-2 and 1-1 draws in December 1976. We bossed the game but Palace went 1-0 up then referee Ron Challis took over. We had a good goal disallowed, we were awarded a penalty and successfully converted by Nobby Horton. Challis ordered a retake after a Palace player encroached and we missed the second attempt. The game ends and Mullers does his famous “that’s all your worth” change throwing rant at Palace fans. God, I hated everything to do with Palace that night.

The INBETWEEN - I don’t know why but every time I’ve been to Selhurst Park I’ve always seen a poor match, so as a matter of not being a Jonah anymore I don’t go. The game that probably did it for me was when Henry Hughton decided to break Gerry Ryan’s leg. It ended in a draw, the atmosphere was vile (as it was in football in the mid 1980s) bricks were raining down on us from the Palace fans. Enough.

So, battle lines drawn again this Saturday. Can’t say I’m looking forward to it, too much at stake. I don’t care how but I just want three points - not too much to ask is it?

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The best : last year's win with Balogun scoring seconds after coming on ties with the 2013 win where Spanish Dave scored right on half time.
The worst : losing 5-0 and being kept in for an age rivalling the game where Hughton broke Gerry Ryan's leg
The most bizarre : Kelvin Morton's "game of five penalties"

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The game is either a massive high...McShane, Spanish Dave, Andone....or a terrible low 5-0, the playoff.....but it’s not often dull.

I’m really, really looking forward to Saturday now.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Worst the play off defeat, closely followed by the 5-0

Best? 3-1 at the Amex or the 2-0 in 87 where me and my mates got on the pitch to celebrate the 2nd goal or maybe the McShane goal?

It's funny how the defeats live longer in the memory than the wins...

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Best: Paddy's Day, although I had such chronic anxiety that I drank a bottle of vodka beforehand and blacked out on my way home.

Inbetween: 1-0 Butters. Had several 50p E/W bets at Valder's bookies, so won £150, but overall it was a strange night and a dodgy win from a team who unravelled not too long after.

Worst: I know there are worse (watching the one where Dunk got dismissed early in the atmosphere vacuum of the Heineken Lounge springs to mind) but 0-0 in 2012 was pretty bad personally. Selhurst was yet to be improved, didn't have a bar or any working toilets and took about eight hours to get to and from.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That 5-0 will haunt me forever.

At least we got out just before they locked everyone in.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
April 81 3-0 away win, a scoreline that probably underplayed our dominance against the team of the 80s.

The losses I try and blank out

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's going to take something monumental to reverse the play-off defeat, not sure I will ever get over that to be honest.

Last season's double was pretty nice though.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
P5 W2 D2 L1 F7 A6 GD+1 PTS8

Our PL record against them is pretty good. Fingers crossed that continues Saturday.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
1974 1-0 Spider the start of hostilities
1976 2-0 Atmosphere Brilliant Sammy Morgan Legend, Hove Station wow !!!
1976 1-0 Barry Butlin at Scumhurst
1979 3-0 Boxing Day Goldstone bouncing
Actually anytime be beat them, and worst anytime we lose...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Danny Wilson scoring at palace...that game was brilliant.

The loads of penalties game at selhurst just rediculous.

The 5-0 was certainly the worst day I have had at a football match...lots of trouble outside the ground...played shite ...wouldn’t let us out the ground as just wanted to go home...kept in..loads of trouble outside the ground...all in all horrible day

Was playing golf for the Spanish Dave 3-0 game.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here