Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Best old school pub in Brighton is...

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Really? How long have you been going there? And what's it like after the refurb?
First went in 1986 when I moved to Brighton, we used to live around the corner in Preston Circus, moved to Fiveways so did not go in so often, but always pop in when I go to Bardsleys. Only been in once after refurb but I like what they had done, still good Harvey’s and on the night I went in a nice varied crowd of people.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Somewhat depends on what 'old school' is but another vote for the Basketmakers and I'll throw in the Mucky Duck in Kemptown.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Engineer was still old school last time I visited, maybe 5 years ago.
Wooden floors, dark in the daytime and stocked with old boys checking the racing pages with racing on the telly. Nicely tucked away too.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fair enough, I’ve always had a soft spot for Seaford and, albeit to a lesser extent, Newhaven.

I’ve had great times in both towns.

You and many of your fellow Palace fans seem to also have a soft spot for Seaford, a fair few live there.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
No mention of The Green Dragon yet. Well gritty with interesting characters back in the 80's. Now a plastic poncy wine bar I believe.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is the Dog Tray still going? Was there a pub in the centre called the Seahouse or Seahorse? Was there a pub in the Port Hall Road area?

How long have you been away? :smile:

Dog Tray went before I started drinking, and that was many years ago.
Sea house closed in the 80s I think. This was in The Lanes near the coast road.
Port Hall Rd area- Exeter St ? The Chimney House, I'm sure it was once called Marquess of Exeter, I may be wrong.

Last edited:

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
How long have you been away? :smile:

Dog Tray went before I started drinking, and that was many years ago.
Sea house closed in the 80s I think. This was in The Lanes near the coast road.
Port Hall Rd area- Exeter St ? The Chimney House, I'm sure it was once called Marquess of Exeter, I may be wrong.

Thanks for the update. I now recall the Marquess. Was a lunchtime haunt as it had a pool table (or maybe bar billiards).

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Engineer was still old school last time I visited, maybe 5 years ago.
Wooden floors, dark in the daytime and stocked with old boys checking the racing pages with racing on the telly. Nicely tucked away too.

Reverted to the Argyle Arms and I can confirm it is still very much old school.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Reverted to the Argyle Arms and I can confirm it is still very much old school.

Indeed. Used to go in there for a quiet lunchtime pint. Spartan interior, general darkness and gadgies smoking incessantly and watching the Racing all afternoon. Splendid. Two bars and the staff were great. Proper boozer.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Indeed. Used to go in there for a quiet lunchtime pint. Spartan interior, general darkness and gadgies smoking incessantly and watching the Racing all afternoon. Splendid. Two bars and the staff were great. Proper boozer.

Apart from the smoking it hasn't changed much.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here