Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Best old school pub in Brighton is...

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Carpet that was laid when the boozer opened in 1865, a local at the bar that was born around the same time and a good old fashioned atmosphere. 'A proper pub' as i would call it.

Wheres your go to?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There really aren't many central pubs that look much like they did 20 years ago, let alone 50+ years ago.

I suppose, Prince of Wales, Queensbury Arms, King and Queen and Basketmakers, mostly pretty similar to when I first started going drinking

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Mitre in Baker St.

At least, it was until a few months ago. It was closed for refurbishment for a while and I haven't been there since.

I hope it's not been messed about too much: it looked like it hadn't been touched since the 60s ... with a clientele who looked like they'd been there all that time

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Sir Charles Napier on Southover Street.

Love that pub. When I lived in Brighton it was our Sunday evening pub. They did a quiz and it was the perfect antidote to Sunday blues. Only a couple of pints consumed but was a lovely atmosphere. Probably one of the things I miss about Brighton the most. Must be over ten years since I’ve been in there though.
I have a few days off this week, I might make the effort to head over and have a pint there.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Some of the pubs in St James St, Upper James St and St Georges Road, were completely unchanged, the last time I looked. Admittedly infrequently.

The Hand In Hand, The Barley Mow, Sidewinder (after renaming?) and Saint-James (renamed I think).

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The Mitre in Baker St.

At least, it was until a few months ago. It was closed for refurbishment for a while and I haven't been there since.

I hope it's not been messed about too much: it looked like it hadn't been touched since the 60s ... with a clientele who looked like they'd been there all that time
Been going to that pub on and off for 30 years, it definitely suffered in the last few years, some of the people migrated from the Branch when it changed. It was one step off The Bat and Ball.
Went there recently after the refurb and although it’s opened up a bit it’s still retains a lot of character but not all the characters, thank God.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The Mitre in Baker St.

Been going to that pub on and off for 30 years, it definitely suffered in the last few years, some of the people clientele migrated from the Branch when it changed. It was one step off The Bat and Ball.
Went there recently after the refurb and although it’s opened up a bit it still retains a lot of character but not all the characters, thank God.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The Mitre in Baker St.

Been going to that pub on and off for 30 years, it definitely suffered in the last few years, some of the people migrated from the Branch when it changed. It was one step off The Bat and Ball.
Went there recently after the refurb and although it’s opened up a bit it still retains a lot of character but not all the characters, thank God.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here