Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] NSC Fitness Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I use the ergo as I row ( I should point out that I am a novice sculler) rather than to lose weight. I’m just over 6’ 1” and weigh 72kg so if anything I’m on the light side. I would like to be 5kg heavier but no matter what I do my weight doesn’t change.

My last ergo was 5k with 2:06.8/500m split @22 strokes per minute. I’m 56 so not bad but I know older and more experienced rowers who are much quicker.

I tried a quick 2k this evening and blew up after 1300m ...... my last 2k was 2:03.5/500m @24 strokes per minute. I haven’t gone under 8minutes since having a knee partial knee replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice one. Interesting to hear your stats (the hard core indoor rowing community is very stats obsessed!). I sort of flirted with the sport for a short while and wondered how 'good' I might get. The more I got into it (which wasn't much) the more I realised I had 3 things that were always going to hold me back

1. I think I was around 50 at the time (so well done for hammering away in you mid-50s)
2. I was a 'lightweight' (rowers sees to be pretty hefty) but worst of all...…………
3. I'm a short arse (5'5") with particularly short levers (29" inside leg and short arms).

I soon cottoned that if any sport had been designed to deny me any advantages then I'd found it! But - like other posters - I did 'respond' to the horror of intervals and stuff. I eventually 'responded' by giving it up, and sticking to running.

(Apparently short levers are good for weightlifting by the way, so the world isn't totally unfair!)

Physically, I've not got much in common with you - other than a dodgy knee. But clearly mine isn't as dodgy as yours, or I wouldn't be contemplating charging (sort of) along Worthing prom tomorrow morning doing a Parkrun in 50+mph winds! And if you - or anyone else around - ever gets into running, I can recommend the NSC thread as being an absolute belter.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
At an exhibition yesterday, didn't go so well:

Well ,that's gone well.

Fasting - CROSS (Buffet breakfast BUT didn't pig out, small plate, scrambled egg and mushrooms on toast)
Under 1,500 cals - CROSS (but only 2,100, probably about 1,500 down on a normal show)
10,000 steps - tick (15,069)
No booze - CROSS (Three pints, hence the 2,100)

Now, normally I'd give up now saying it doesn't work with the work schedule, but hey, it's a day of crosses BUT I did think about minimising the impact of a bad day!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Well ,that's gone well.

Fasting - CROSS (Buffet breakfast BUT didn't pig out, small plate, scrambled egg and mushrooms on toast)
Under 1,500 cals - CROSS (but only 2,100, probably about 1,500 down on a normal show)

Now, normally I'd give up now saying it doesn't work with the work schedule, but hey, it's a day of crosses BUT I did think about minimising the impact of a bad day!

Another thing with 'regimes' is far too many people get stressed out about one bad day........personally think having a 'day off' is a good thing. Doesn't make much difference if you otherwise stick to your plan, and psychologically it's something to look forward to. Also, if you start do do a lot of exercise, rest days become really important for recovery. You won't put on weight at 2,100 anyway.............that'll be more or less your basic metabolic rate equalised for the day (even if the quality of intake coule be improved :lolol::lolol:)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Well ,that's gone well.

Always remember, a tick is worth 3 crosses!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Nice one. Interesting to hear your stats (the hard core indoor rowing community is very stats obsessed!). I sort of flirted with the sport for a short while and wondered how 'good' I might get. The more I got into it (which wasn't much) the more I realised I had 3 things that were always going to hold me back

1. I think I was around 50 at the time (so well done for hammering away in you mid-50s)
2. I was a 'lightweight' (rowers sees to be pretty hefty) but worst of all...…………
3. I'm a short arse (5'5") with particularly short levers (29" inside leg and short arms).

I soon cottoned that if any sport had been designed to deny me any advantages then I'd found it! But - like other posters - I did 'respond' to the horror of intervals and stuff. I eventually 'responded' by giving it up, and sticking to running.

(Apparently short levers are good for weightlifting by the way, so the world isn't totally unfair!)

Physically, I've not got much in common with you - other than a dodgy knee. But clearly mine isn't as dodgy as yours, or I wouldn't be contemplating charging (sort of) along Worthing prom tomorrow morning doing a Parkrun in 50+mph winds! And if you - or anyone else around - ever gets into running, I can recommend the NSC thread as being an absolute belter.

I’m afraid number 3 is a bit of a draw back as long levers are very much a plus. It also helps if you a endowed with a lot of muscle on the levers as well which sadly I am not.
Funnily enough I started at 50 ( both my kids started rowing around then) and am a lightweight. I scull rather than sweep.

I loved running and was very very down when I’ve eventually realised (after the third lot of surgery) that my knee wouldn’t allow me to carry on. Rowing has been a life saver for me.
I must admit to reading the running thread and being very jealous which is not a particularly nice trait ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Well ,that's gone well.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Given your weight there's a fair chance 2,100cals still isn't bad at all.

Every day is day one.

Keep going.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So, a mixed week, some ticks and some crosses but overall result at weigh in this morning is a 1lb 8oz loss, I'll take that seen as I had two very bad days!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So, a mixed week, some ticks and some crosses but overall result at weigh in this morning is a 1lb 8oz loss, I'll take that seen as I had two very bad days!

Good work mate.

I weigh myself daily and then take the average, as day by day weight can fluctuate so much and sometimes in ways that don't feel logical.

So far in 2020;

Jan
Week 1 - 16st 9lbs
Week 2 - 16st 11lbs - just after birthday and new years - that's my excuse anyway...
Week 3 - 16st 7lbs
Week 4 - 16st 8lbs

Feb
Week 5 - 16st 8lbs
Week 6 - 16st 4lbs
Week 7 - 16st 2lbs
Week 8 - 16st

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Good work mate.

I weigh myself daily and then take the average, as day by day weight can fluctuate so much and sometimes in ways that don't feel logical.

So far in 2020;

Jan
Week 1 - 16st 9lbs
Week 2 - 16st 11lbs - just after birthday and new years - that's my excuse anyway...
Week 3 - 16st 7lbs
Week 4 - 16st 8lbs

Feb
Week 5 - 16st 8lbs
Week 6 - 16st 4lbs
Week 7 - 16st 2lbs
Week 8 - 16st

Well done mate!

Just what I'm looking for, a group who are looking to lose weight to give me the motivation / competitiveness.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well done mate!

Just what I'm looking for, a group who are looking to lose weight to give me the motivation / competitiveness.

Bring it.

My target weight by year end is 12st 8lbs - which would mean the correct BMI for my height.

It's ambitious, and I won't beat myself up if I fall slightly short.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Bring it.

My target weight by year end is 12st 8lbs - which would mean the correct BMI for my height.

It's ambitious, and I won't beat myself up if I fall slightly short.

11st 7lb is my target, I'd also like to complete at least five Parkruns this year and, ankle permitting, a 10k.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
As a starter, simply take brisk walks of 20 minutes or more most days, it will make a huge difference to your aerobic fitness, weight loss and shedding visceral fat. Also great for the mind.

No need to count steps, measure HR or distance.

A bike ride is a great alternative.

I go out walking every day (pretty much .... recently bought a back up raincoat as other one always soaked).
Anyways, I do short brisk walks and long relaxed walks, they definitely 'de-clutter' the mind.
This is probably stating the obvious, but:

wear decent, comfortable footwear that fits. I ended up with blisters because my socks were too big.
Take breaks and sit down (if possible)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I go out walking every day (pretty much .... recently bought a back up raincoat as other one always soaked).
Anyways, I do short brisk walks and long relaxed walks, they definitely 'de-clutter' the mind.

wear decent, comfortable footwear that fits. I ended up with blisters because my socks were too big.

Cushioned sole trainers, you can beat them. Two thin pairs of socks for a long walk stops abrasion.

Enjoy. You notice so much more than driving past.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Cushioned sole trainers, you can beat them. Two thin pairs of socks for a long walk stops abrasion.

Enjoy. You notice so much more than driving past.

Purely by chance I came across some shoes this morning that I'd not heard of before, which is unusual as I'm very much a Nike boy, that might be good for this.

They have a bit of an interesting backstory involving Nike founder Phil Knight and designer Tinker Hatfield. They come in more conservative colour schemes too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IYVdpFt1pA

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I’ve downloaded and have been using the excellent MyFitnessPal app that [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] recommended, turns out that whilst I’ve been eating the right things it’s actually portion control that’s been seriously letting me down. My breakfast portion of porridge has been halved, my fruit consumption at lunch has been reduced due to the high sugars, dinner portions are now roughly half of what I was having before. I’m drinking a lot more water between meal times which really helps stave off the hunger. Pretty happy with that side of things, just need to get the running shoes on now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ve downloaded and have been using the excellent MyFitnessPal app that [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] recommended, turns out that whilst I’ve been eating the right things it’s actually portion control that’s been seriously letting me down. My breakfast portion of porridge has been halved, my fruit consumption at lunch has been reduced due to the high sugars, dinner portions are now roughly half of what I was having before. I’m drinking a lot more water between meal times which really helps stave off the hunger. Pretty happy with that side of things, just need to get the running shoes on now.

It is a great app and not at all cumbersome, particularly once you’ve set up any standard meals you have - breakfast, typically.

I used it when losing weight a few years ago and it rest helps you monitor and control your intake, as well as appreciating that nothing is actually off-limits, just that you need to watch the quantity as you say.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I have an active job as a Ranger, and enjoy the benefits that naturally brings. I swim once a week (50 lengths, 30m in under one hour) and play football too. I turn 39 on Friday, I was, I would say out of shape 18 months ago - looking podgy in pics, and feeling sluggish - I have fought hard and feel much like I did in my late 20s again. It can be done.

Roughly fours years ago I had pneumonia and sepsis, my regime has utterly eradicated the reoccurring chest problems I suffered in the immediate aftermath - right now, believe me, I’m delighted I took steps to fight it! Especially given the new plague. Hey ho, I take my chances with the wheel of fate, destiny is all.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It is a great app and not at all cumbersome, particularly once you’ve set up any standard meals you have - breakfast, typically.

I used it when losing weight a few years ago and it rest helps you monitor and control your intake, as well as appreciating that nothing is actually off-limits, just that you need to watch the quantity as you say.

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how user friendly it is, delighted how easily it’s highlighted my honest mistakes.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
On target to break the 14st barrier for Monday's weigh in, the average has me spot on it at the moment, got 5-a-side tonight, and Saturday a.m. and then pulling a hedge out Saturday afternoon (with BBC Sussex on), looking good to crack first milestone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here