Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] NSC Fitness Thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is 10,000 steps the benchmark?

It's a target that's been recommended you aim for - don't have to take it as gospel, but I think it's a decent (and doable) target. I've been hitting between 8,000-11,000 steps every day for the last 4-6 weeks and I've definitely felt the benefits.

I use myfitnesspal (free app) to log everything I eat (sounds like a faff but it means I cut back on snacking massively when I know I have to log everything I eat) which in turn gives me a macro breakdown (ie tells me what % of my food is carbs, protein and fat) and also has a built in 10,000 steps tracker for each day.

You can also use it put in your weight ongoing, along with body fat %s if you get that measured, and it will give all sorts of graphs if that's of interest to you.

To give some perspective, walking 10,000 steps for 31 days = 310,000 steps. 310,000 steps would cover 142 miles for the average person. That would be the same as walking from the Amex to the King Power stadium!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I play football for an hour twice a week, surf or sup for 2 hours a week, gym twice a week, walk lots, eat reasonably healthily & chase 2 u10s around all weekend.

I'm 42, 6ft1 & 13st & like to think I am fairly healthy.

Just eat well & skip bread, crisps & chocolate some of the time

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately not, I drive for a living so my job starts on my driveway :(

As others have mentioned, I love sport and exercise, it’s the time restraints that are my stumbling block. I leave for work at 7am, arrive home between 6-7pm, feed, bath and put my son to bed and is suddenly 9pm and I’m goosed. That’s my 1 hour of downtime in a day and I really need to make the most of it. Hopefully this thread will help, reading other’s stories and routines should serve as motivation, not that I need any more to be honest.

Park somewhere safe a mile or two away a couple of times a week ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The main reason I got into cycling is simply that it fits into my daily routine without eating into my time with the wife and kids after work. Luckily I'm able to cycle my commute. So I'd say my advice would be to try and find something that isn't a pain in the arse to get to / from and that doesn't wipe out an afternoon, and you're more likely to stick with it. I've never done Park Run but quite like the idea - again it's just a case of actually carving out the time on a Saturday morning.

I'll happily look after the kids at the Hove Park play area, if it means you and the Mrs will do the parkrun. Wait for the warmer weather perhaps.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's a target that's been recommended you aim for - don't have to take it as gospel, but I think it's a decent (and doable) target. I've been hitting between 8,000-11,000 steps every day for the last 4-6 weeks and I've definitely felt the benefits.

I use myfitnesspal (free app) to log everything I eat (sounds like a faff but it means I cut back on snacking massively when I know I have to log everything I eat) which in turn gives me a macro breakdown (ie tells me what % of my food is carbs, protein and fat) and also has a built in 10,000 steps tracker for each day.

You can also use it put in your weight ongoing, along with body fat %s if you get that measured, and it will give all sorts of graphs if that's of interest to you.

To give some perspective, walking 10,000 steps for 31 days = 310,000 steps. 310,000 steps would cover 142 miles for the average person. That would be the same as walking from the Amex to the King Power stadium!

......and would burn something like 10-12,000 calories (or 5lb of fat)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Great thread and I'll be following with interest having just got back to some kind of fitness routine, mainly to combat stress and anxiety.

I did a marathon, half marathon and a good few 5 and 10ks years ago but, while I thought I would one day come to enjoy running, I never did.

Now, after a spell doing not much at all, other than the odd game of footy, I took the plunge and did a Parkrun on Saturday which really underlined how out of condition I have become. Took me 35mins to do the 5k. I'm 46.

I've now signed up to the bootcamp-style outdoor fitness thing I used to do a few years back in full determination to get myself feeling happier and healthier again.

Crikey, I feel worse now :down: I'm nearly sixty and will be more likely 45 mins +

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Don't imagine that you don't have time for exercise, I have been known to watch telly whilst whirring away on our exercise bike. One 45 minute program is good enough.

This, a few years ago, when I was around 45-50 I use to watch the first half of the football and then start running as the whistle blew for the end of the first half and then run for an hour, or so, watching the second half and praying they'll be limited injury time stopping at the final whistle. This is all good, until you do this when the Albion are playing and get too engrossed and start trying to head the ball whilst on a treadmill!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Another helpful tip that works for me.

In the Summer I get up early on what looks like a good day and set myself a target of walking from Arundel, down to Climping and along the coast as far as I can get. Normally I make it to Shoreham, Southwick etc, then I walk to the Station and get a train back to Arundel, have a pint in town and walk home.

I find that the walking, it's 42-44,000 steps, is a good marker and then try to improve on it but also I start then to think more carefully about what I eat / drink to allow for the improvement, small goals but challenges that allow you to demonstrate progress.

Always happy to go along with someone else if they want a challlenge?

Have also done the South Down's from Whiteways near Arundel to Memorial Bridge at Shoreham, that's a toughy!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I struggle to believe that most people couldn't walk 10,000 steps most days if they really wanted to.

If nothing else, don't sit on the sofa all evening watching TV, do laps of your lounge, downstairs or whatever. A reasonable walking pace is 100 steps per minute but put a bit of effort in and you can up that.

It's not unknown for both Mrs Bozza and me to be walking/jogging laps of our downstairs of an evening in order to hit one target or another set by Apple Watch/Health/Activity. This month I have to average 10.6 miles per day walking or running, which I should hit.

If you set yourself a daily target and hit it for a few days in a row, you'll feel compelled to keep your streak going. Gamification of this stuff is quite effective for most people. Use a fitness watch, your phone, a habit app, a spreadsheet or pen and paper - whatever works for you.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I struggle to believe that most people couldn't walk 10,000 steps most days if they really wanted to.

If nothing else, don't sit on the sofa all evening watching TV, do laps of your lounge, downstairs or whatever. A reasonable walking pace is 100 steps per minute but put a bit of effort in and you can up that.

It's not unknown for both Mrs Bozza and me to be walking/jogging laps of our downstairs of an evening in order to hit one target or another set by Apple Watch/Health/Activity. This month I have to average 10.6 miles per day walking or running, which I should hit.

If you set yourself a daily target and hit it for a few days in a row, you'll feel compelled to keep your streak going. Gamification of this stuff is quite effective for most people. Use a fitness watch, your phone, a habit app, a spreadsheet or pen and paper - whatever works for you.

Indeed, we did have challenges between friends and I'd sit there at night and see someone either 1,000 steps ahead and pace around the house or see someone 500 behind who I know acts similarly and pace it out so they've no chance, I've just got to get that going again. How can people find me on FitBit, love to have a NSC Group on this!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Most people have access to superb and free indoor fitness equipment: their stairs. (With apologies to bungalow dwellers.)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Yup.

Case in point my lunch break just now. Usually I'd just sit and watch some netflix show with headphones on in the lunchroom. Just did an hour long walk with a podcast. Grand it was, done most of my 10,000 steps in one go.

Walk, walk and walk. Not only is it great for fitness but it is great for metal clarity, a key component of motivation. I’m lucky enough to live next to a massive forest with great walking paths. Most mornings I try and get an hour or so walk done. So helpful.

Definitely. I walk everywhere. My walk to and from work each day is my basic 10,000 steps per day. I then walk everywhere else too and so log an average of 17,000 steps a day. I keep get through a lot of podcasts and audio books, I try to listen to a lot of educational stuff as well as just footie stuff to keep the brain ticking over.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

This actually inspired me a little (and the similar posts like this).

I've been feeling pony mentally today - worked from home as well (which doesn't help) and found that i had no enthusiasm to go to the gym, or do anything really.

So I kinda took an easier way out and used a recumbent exercise bike we have in a spare room - put on Netflix and covered 30 miles in no time. No a HIIT workout or a proper gym session but more than I usually would if i was having a bad day.

It's not much, but I feel a bit more accomplished.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm 6ft 2 but i was very overwight (16 and a half stone), unfit (out of breath going up stairs), and middle aged (in my fifties). frustrated (i looked a bit crap - football tops or fred perry shirts don't look great with a belly) and a hypochondriac (Every minor niggle is a foreshadow of the end)

So I

1. Played regular football -My first emergence from the couch. i started playing 6 or 7 a side every week with a bunch of misfits, fit/unfit old blokes a few years back . Most 3G pitches are hired out in evenings after work for very informal kickabouts. Join one. If its like mine - you'll be welcome with open arms and you could end up playing with em for years. (the friendship and camraderie is also good)

2.Give up drinking - I drank regularly for years, mostly at home. Then one day I had a minor health scare and the GP asked me to keep off alcohol and caffeine .
I did a week. I did 2 weeks. The health scare turned out to be only a scare but i kept going and going. I've now stopped drinking for about 580 days. I can recommend some very good AF beers but i know mostly get by on diet fanta, coke zero and cups of tea and its totally fine.

3.Walk. - I commute into Victoria Station every day. I used to tube or bus the last length which is not only ££ but timewise isn't very different so i know walk past Buckingham Palace through Green Park and up to the office every day. Thats your 10K steps right there, it saves me a bit of money and timewise its not far off getting public transport. It soon becomes a habit and you can listen to hours of music, radio, podcasts. There's quite a good BBC app for that by the way.

4.Cut down on Sugar, Sweets, Crisps and Cakes - you'll be surprised how often you're offered them in an office for example. You dont need em...

5.Run - I started via Park Runs last summer from literally the couch - like many on here - and before i knew it i'm stretching it to several runs a week, 10K , 15K and I did my first half marathon on Sunday. As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says - gamification, and (silly) targets helped me here - Strava lets you know if you're getting quicker and you can keep pace with others and i set myself stretches to keep going. A 10K race, A streak - Run every day in December, My first half marathon...My next one is running every day in Lent. .

6) Get a dog. You have to go outside EVERY DAY with a dog. (Mrs CJ isn't going to do it) . Walking the dog is the best first step to getting out there and getting exercise. I've a labrador who gets a walk round Chailey Common all the time. .

7. Tell people what you're doing - Its an incentive to keep going and they are , in my experience, very supportive . I post pictures of me out of breath on Instagram - there' s no need to be that ridiculous - but sharing goals/targets with others - works.

Result: i've lost 3 and a half stone and i'm sure i'm fitter than i've been since my twenties. Its also done wonders for my wellbeing.
If this 53 year old can do it.

and finally...
7. Its hard and its ok to fall off the saddle. - The odd bag of crisps or a chocolate cake isn't going to matter that much. My attempts at running failed completely at first. I did 3 park runs one christmas, then put the shoes away and didn't come back for another 5 months. And its random. I've played football for 7 years now because out of the blue someone asked me one week. I run because my wife got into Park Runs and i was inspired by my son who is an excellent club runner. I'm lucky as well. I do have more time - all my kids are teenagers now. So don't be too hard on yourself.

...You'll get there in the end.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
For those of you with little uns, you could look into buggy running which you can do with them from around 6 months old. Not only does it get you out exercising, it’s pretty good at sending them off to sleep too!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm using the same philosophy as I did when I gave up smoking. Train the brain first, then it will accept the fact you're going to get fitter and not fatter. I'm not going to transfix on the scales, the mirror however, that will be put to use. Talk to yourself(not out loud, they'll lock you up), tell yourself how you're going to get up, get going and stop procrastinating. Drink plenty of water, it will act as a replacement for the easy snacks. Celery, cucumber and tomatoes will act as finger food for the evenings, along with sliced carrot. I'm also lining up a whole host of things to watch whilst I quick march on the running(walking, I'm 60 this year) machine. I think half the battle is won once you actually decide you want to do something.
I'm fed up looking like a telly tubby

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For those of you with little uns, you could look into buggy running which you can do with them from around 6 months old. Not only does it get you out exercising, it’s pretty good at sending them off to sleep too!

Often see buggy-pushers at parkun. In fact, often get beaten by them [emoji23][emoji23]

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
An ex-colleague did the following to lose weight and swears by it.
She had tried a number of diets all of which lost weight rapidly but when she fell off the wagon she just put it back on again.
I’m not sure where she found out about this but she decided to lose the weight (a couple of stone) over 12-18 months rather than 12 weeks. She cut back slightly on calorific intake, upped walking and also walking up and down stairs at work (4 flights) 2 or 3 times a day. The weight eventually came of and has staid off.
The one other benefit was that she wasn’t continuously thinking about food.

I can’t run due to a partial knee replacement and so took up rowing. Great way to keep fit and doesn’t screw up your joints. Part of the training is using a rowing machine which if I’m honest is just ****ing horrible when used in conjunction with rowing training regimes. however, if you want a piece of equipment that exercises the whole body, builds muscle and burns calories then this is kit for you.

I’m fortunate in being a skinny ******* but I hope this is of use. Best of luck to all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here