Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] NSC Fitness Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was 16 stone 5 at my peak last May - I’m 6 foot 2.

- i stopped drinking 20 months ago
- I try and avoid sugar, biscuits, cakes, crisps, cheese grazing now but not 100% - and still eat carbs .
- I run about 40-50k a week but only in earnest since last summer
- I do a fair bit of walking too cos I have the dog , used to make that part of my commute and play /coach football twice a week (but that’s all stopped !)

16st,5 to 12st is incredible. Well done.

Sugary food and crisps are a killer, creating a hidden band of dangerous visceral fat around the torso. Exercise alone could never make inroads into that, if the sugary and crisps consumption remained the same as before.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Even though Peloton bikes are unusably irritating, I've heard from a load of good judges that the stuff on their app (which is now free) is really good, so I'm gonna check that tomorrow.

Similarly, Joe Wick's YouTube channel is great, if you can endure him. The previous sweat series was more intense than the current one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably been mentioned somewhere further up this thread but definitely worth another mention...

With the days getting longer and warmer, why not give the Couch To 5K app a try? (heeding all due medical advice, rules on social distancing etc etc) It builds up gradually in weekly steps that you can take at your own pace and repeat as often as you feel you need to. First week is something like half a dozen repetitions of running/jogging for 60 seconds with a walking breather of 60 seconds between each. You try and do this three times in a week, before moving on to the next level which is only a gradual increase.

The app is great, there's a choice of free recorded motivational celebrity and non-celebrity coaches if you want to use them, plus a really supportive forum of lovely people involved in various stages of the program, offering tips and encouragement and sharing experiences. Give it a go, you might just amaze yourself!

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I've been trying to run everyday, however my Achilles tendon is telling me to go **** myself. Are there any workout routines to help me lose weight without incurring its wrath?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've been trying to run everyday, however my Achilles tendon is telling me to go **** myself. Are there any workout routines to help me lose weight without incurring its wrath?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I have a similar issue with calf muscles, jogging is the worst thing.

Cycling, with good stretching of the hamstrings, calves (on a step) and quads straight afterwards whilst the body is still warm, is far better. Zero impact, I’ve never had any tissue injury or inflammation from cycling.

Yoga also is amazing at everything, with hot yoga, loads of calories and fat are burnt away. But I’m guessing that studios may now be closed?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have a similar issue with calf muscles, jogging is the worst thing.

Cycling, with good stretching of the hamstrings, calves (on a step) and quads straight afterwards whilst the body is still warm, is far better. Zero impact, I’ve never had any tissue injury or inflammation from cycling.

Yoga also is amazing at everything, with hot yoga, loads of calories and fat are burnt away. But I’m guessing that studios may now be closed?

If your calves are tightening up, it’s quite possibly sciatic nerve stickiness.....have a look on youtube at nerve flossing or adverse neural mobility. Really simple fix (shame it took me 10 years to find it)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Missing footy 3 times a week and the gym 2 a week so i dusted off the weights bench and weights in my garage, that i got for xmas in my late teens and used them today for first time. Will try an do 30/45 mins a day.

My old man lives in findon valley... if i was there i was be running up to cissbury and chanctonbury daily (the most relaxing place to be) however it's a but more difficult for me around here Surbiton... may use the little green near me on my wfh lunch break as long as no one else is on it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
For those of you looking for online fitness videos, here is what our company have sent out to members and are happy to share with everyone should it be of interest.

As we all continue to navigate our way through these unprecedented times we would like to give you the opportunity to have access to up to 16 weeks of FREE home exercise & workouts!
Our friends at Technogym - the world renowned fitness company - have given us access to 16 weeks of exercise & workout content on an easy to navigate app. Choose from bodyweight exercises & cardio programs all designed to keep you active. These workouts can be done at home with no equipment and are absolutely FREE during the COVID-19 disruption.
To get this content for FREE all you need to do is:
Register at https://www.mywellness.com/trainathomewithfreedom
Download the mywellness App and sign in with registered details
Apple Store
Android/Google Play Store

This is FREE content for EVERYONE, forward this email to friends and family and/or share the link on social media - together we can workout while the scientists work it out!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This thread has rather dozed off. Does this reflect a lack of activity? How about some updates?

I think I've put on a couple of pounds through compulsive, boredom related, nibbling. I've taken to recording daily steps, but only when they are above 15K. I've been out on my bike enjoying the relative lack of traffic.

I've also tried to se up a kind of 'circuit' in my garden - luckily it's not overlooked. I remember reading years ago that circuit training was one of the best ways to achieve all round fitness.

Anyone doing anything inspiring?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This thread has rather dozed off. Does this reflect a lack of activity? How about some updates?

I think I've put on a couple of pounds through compulsive, boredom related, nibbling. I've taken to recording daily steps, but only when they are above 15K. I've been out on my bike enjoying the relative lack of traffic.

I've also tried to se up a kind of 'circuit' in my garden - luckily it's not overlooked. I remember reading years ago that circuit training was one of the best ways to achieve all round fitness.

Anyone doing anything inspiring?

Good bounce. Understandable that people have other thoughts on their mind at the moment.

Update from me;

Jan
Week 1 - 16st 9lbs
Week 2 - 16st 11lbs
Week 3 - 16st 7lbs
Week 4 - 16st 8lbs

Feb
Week 5 - 16st 8lbs - started to really focus on macros from here - adjusting diet to take on more protein and less carbs...
Week 6 - 16st 4lbs
Week 7 - 16st 2lbs
Week 8 - 16st

Mar
Week 9 - 15st 12lbs
Week 10 - 15st 7lbs
Week 11 - 15st 3lbs
Week 12 - 15st
Week 13 - 14st 11lbs

Apr
Week 14 - Only just started, but look on course for an average weekly weight of around 14st 8lbs.

End goal - 12st 8lbs (and a healthy BMI) by end of 2020. However at current rate I'm hoping to hit it around July-August.

Have been rationing food a little so haven't been finding it hard to keep below calories. Also, whilst I'm still getting a daily walk in (pushing a buggy to get our 2 year old to nap) I'm definitely doing less high intensity exercise than I usually would (2-3 jogs, football, badminton etc all gone), which really proves the annoying truth of it being 10% exercise, 90% diet.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
OK, binned FitBit only because it's stopped charging for some reason.

Working from Home rather than lolling but kept the fitness going and dropped alcohol for all but 2/3 days a week.

Started at 14 1/2 st and am now 13st 12oz and have started cycling

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Ran my first 5k early this morning - pleasing progress after gradually building up since the start of February.
Hopefully by the time park runs start again I'll be moving at a brisker pace ��

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Went back to doing fitness classes in the park just in time for it all to be called off for lockdown. Now doing them from home via youtube, which has actually made me do far more than I would have normally.

I've had to ease up a little bit thought as I've gone and strained a calf muscle through running on the spot!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here