Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Health Inequalities

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think he was an easy target and did himself no favours with his handling of the antisemitism combined with his supposed friendship with Hamas. When asked direct questions he either squirmed away or refused to answer them when it was easier to just say yes e.g. the definition of antisemitism.

Whatever is/was the truth he was perceived to the wrong person and not electable by too many people.

I think others would have done better especially David Miliband but to some in the labour party he would be considered a closet/red tory and not a proper labour person. I support a centrist view so he would be fine for me.

Bear in mind Ed Milliband was attacked quite badly for not being able to eat a bacon sandwich properly. Whilst I think you are right about Corbyn, the media in the main do not want Labour in charge, and will paint any Labour candidate in the next GE as "unelectable".

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Presumably because obese people would be all over them for fat shaming. Remember fat is the new normal.

I’m sure the ‘wokerati’ will be along soon to stop any criticism of anything, other than traditional middle class values and common sense.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It wasn't just the areas worst affected by austerity that voted Tory, of course. What is really astonishing is that the clever people running the opposition parties aren't smart enough to produce policies that are in touch with their target voters.

I would word it slightly differently but this is it in a nutshell.

I would also add that the electorate always gets the government it deserves.

Finally, to play Devil's advocate, my understanding of biology tells me that human longevity (within a population, which does not take into accountthe effects of evolution) will not continue to increase (certainly not at a constant rate) even if conditions become ideal, simply because there is a physical limit, just as there is in human size (hight, strength), as reflected in the rate of improvement of olympic records. The increases become smaller with time, creating an asymptotic 'curve'. Perhaps we are already close to the peak.

None of that means I support the shit shower that has run the country for ten years. However, that, sadly, takes me back to [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION]'s salient comment above.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would word it slightly differently but this is it in a nutshell.

I would also add that the electorate always gets the government it deserves.

Finally, to play Devil's advocate, my understanding of biology tells me that human longevity (within a population, which does not take into accountthe effects of evolution) will not continue to increase (certainly not at a constant rate) even if conditions become ideal, simply because there is a physical limit, just as there is in human size (hight, strength), as reflected in the rate of improvement of olympic records. The increases become smaller with time, creating an asymptotic 'curve'. Perhaps we are already close to the peak.

None of that means I support the shit shower that has run the country for ten years. However, that, sadly, takes me back to [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION]'s salient comment above.

Harry, fully understand we can't all keep growing older, but it shouldn't be the poor, those suffering most from austerity, that have to pay the price with early death...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bear in mind Ed Milliband was attacked quite badly for not being able to eat a bacon sandwich properly

Not a patch on Peter Mandelson being quite rightly CRUCIFIED for venturing into a Northern chippie for the one and only time in his life, spotting the mushy peas and asking for the 'avocado dip' :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Harry, fully understand we can't all keep growing older, but it shouldn't be the poor, those suffering most from austerity, that have to pay the price with early death...

No, indeed.

And I was playing Devils' advocate.

I know that jolly red giant was boring us to death with his pro- momentum history-laden diatribes, but one theme of his, that an element in society has clawed back the postwar gains that gave us plebs some hope (union rights, decent pay, the chance to get on the housing ladder, job security) and replaced it with a structure that keeps a large number of us (especially the young) at their mercy (forced to rent, job insecurity, no union potency) seems to me increasingly to be an accurate precis.

That element in society being those who ideologically dispise the 'welfare state' and feel that individuals should keep all they earn and pay for health and education etc. directly, when required. 'No such thing as society' types. Plus those who would back any strategy that appears to benefit them, no matter how short term and no matter how detrimental to others. The hard right, in other words.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No, indeed.

And I was playing Devils' advocate.

I know that jolly red giant was boring us to death with his pro- momentum history-laden diatribes, but one theme of his, that an element in society has clawed back the postwar gains that gave us plebs some hope (union rights, decent pay, the chance to get on the housing ladder, job security) and replaced it with a structure that keeps a large number of us (especially the young) at their mercy (forced to rent, job insecurity, no union potency) seems to me increasingly to be an accurate precis.

That element in society being those who ideologically dispise the 'welfare state' and feel that individuals should keep all they earn and pay for health and education etc. directly, when required. 'No such thing as society' types. Plus those who would back any strategy that appears to benefit them, no matter how short term and no matter how detrimental to others. The hard right, in other words.

You have obviously never heard of such a thing as human nature; next you will be telling us how virtuous you are with never a thought to your own benefit. So you ARE a virtue signaller afterall..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here