Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Health Inequalities

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Life expectancy has stalled for the first time in more than 100 years and even reversed for the most deprived women in society, according to a landmark review which shows the gap in health inequalities is yawning even wider than it did a decade ago, in large part due to the impact of cuts linked to the government’s austerity policies.

This sort of data makes it even more astonishing that a government packed with the architects and flag-wavers for austerity managed to make such electoral inroads into the very areas worst affected.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Life expectancy has stalled for the first time in more than 100 years and even reversed for the most deprived women in society, according to a landmark review which shows the gap in health inequalities is yawning even wider than it did a decade ago, in large part due to the impact of cuts linked to the government’s austerity policies.

This sort of data makes it even more astonishing that a government packed with the architects and flag-wavers for austerity managed to make such electoral inroads into the very areas worst affected.

It wasn't just the areas worst affected by austerity that voted Tory, of course. What is really astonishing is that the clever people running the opposition parties aren't smart enough to produce policies that are in touch with their target voters.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

[tweet]1205478520224387072[/tweet]

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yet more evidence of 'Broken Britain', and the stark regional divides that have opened up after four decades of neoliberalism. Of course, the consequence of the most recent policy turn might break Britain even further, yet -- if he carries through with it, which is a major question given his propensity to bullshitting -- Johnson has recognised that a major policy shift is required. It's not just about political parties, it's what policies they pursue, and there might be a shift with the Tories (they've done it before after all).

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It wasn't just the areas worst affected by austerity that voted Tory, of course. What is really astonishing is that the clever people running the opposition parties aren't smart enough to produce policies that are in touch with their target voters.

They had the policies, they just weren't believed for some reason (despite consistent lying during the election campaign).

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Shocking failures by recent governments by this now falling. We are heading the way of the U.S who are really low in the list number 35 and has little difference there if you are rich or poor (we are 25). To me this is one of the main functions of governments to keep there citizens, safe, healthy and out of poverty.

When scientists believe it could be pushed up to the 100 mark quite easily, it is terrible that it is going backwards. The world average is 72.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Shocking failures by recent governments by this now falling. We are heading the way of the U.S who are really low in the list number 35 and has little difference there if you are rich or poor (we are 25). To me this is one of the main functions of governments to keep there citizens, safe, healthy and out of poverty.

When scientists believe it could be pushed up to the 100 mark quite easily, it is terrible that it is going backwards. The world average is 72.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

A recent episode of Last Week Tonight featured an American woman who was forgoing insulin as she couldn't afford both that and her heart medication. The fact that citizens of the richest nation on Earth have to prioritise their vital organs is more than a Governmental failure; it's disgraceful.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
They had the policies, they just weren't believed for some reason (despite consistent lying during the election campaign).

The issue was the leader and irrespective of whether he was actually good or bad the public's perception was he was not credible. He knew that and still stayed on and is still tainting the next leadership contest. Labour lost out when Mcluskey shafted David Miliband. Certainly not the darling of the left but electable and so in a position to influence things for the less well off.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sad news but not entirely a surprise. Society has been broken for some time and nothing will change on our downward spiral because those at the top, with all the cash, aren't going to start giving it back.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Labour party members put someone like Corbyn in charge, WTF do you think is going to happen?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Yes, they had policies, but not the ones their target voters were going to vote for. Incompetent and out of touch - a good formula for losing ..................

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
What a load of rubbish every time politics appears. I voted labour. For goodness sake we have a new PM . Lets give it at at least a year before we make any judgement as to if he is making any progress. I get impression whatever good is done by this government many on here will never be happy

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What a load of rubbish every time politics appears. I voted labour. For goodness sake we have a new PM . Lets give it at at least a year before we make any judgement as to if he is making any progress. I get impression whatever good is done by this government many on here will never be happy

They’ve had ten years to make a positive difference. As for Johnson, he’s been in the front line of politics for a long time and he’s proven himself to be a liar, a failure, a profiteer and a bully. He was the mayor of London FFS! How many chances do we give him?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Do you really have any faith that any good will be done by this government?

As for Corbyn, he had faith that Labour voters would stand by him despite all the propaganda peddled by the mainstream press, which most people did believe.
I am not a Labour voter as I vote for the policy of whichever party I think has the country at heart, but I do think the press have a major part in elections. Press that is owned by Murdoch, Rothermere and the Barclay brothers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Progress and Brexit are incompatible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here