Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would Ryan have saved that?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Maty should be out of the team with immediate effect. He's a good goalkeeper and, to be fair, HKFC's comparison with the other 1st choice goalkeepers adds good context. I agree it's a low priority position but I also think that the general criticism of him is reasonable. I don't feel overly confident that we're going to keep many clean sheets, but the stats don't lie - we're not the worst defensively by any means.

To a certain extent, we're spoilt now by the players we're discussing. It's easy to forget that this squad is the best we've ever had and even comparing Maty Ryan with the likes of Casper Ankergren, Tomas Kuszczak and David Stockdale - all good goalkeepers in their time with us, but none of them are up to Ryan's overall standard.

I do find it hard to word a criticism of an obviously good player, but one I think we could potentially improve upon with good scouting and a huge slice of luck. I don't doubt for a moment that we could spend £20m and get a worse version of him.

Tough to think of a current player that doesn't fit into that post.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tough to think of a current player that doesn't fit into that post.

But you also have to think about the quality the other players in our league. Everything is comparative. We are where we are in the league so it's not unreasonable to want to improve, and to improve we'll need better players relative to our standard. That was much easier in League 1 and to a lesser extent the Championship, but in the Premier League it's not so easy to improve. As we keep finding out with every transfer window that comes and goes.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’m not sure it’s hate, just recognition that he’s a limited keeper. He makes very few obvious errors, but he rarely makes any outstanding saves you’d expect of a Premier League keeper and he doesn’t dominate his box at all. He’s just very lower Prem level, which is where we are incidentally.

Sure he has ups and downs, few don’t. I’m not seeing the same level of mistakes though. I rate him as a pretty fine keeper. Probably the best we’ve ever had in our history even.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sure he has ups and downs, few don’t. I’m not seeing the same level of mistakes though. I rate him as a pretty fine keeper. Probably the best we’ve ever had in our history even.

What he does well, reflex saves, double saves, brave, close range blocks, so far out weighs his perceived flaws, which seemingly boils down to 'can't save worldies', I'm amazed he even raises an eyebrow in criticism.

Yet we've had 3 seasons of struggling to give Ryan a 2 goal lead to defend and it's still his fault a game ends 1-1. :shrug:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
What he does well, reflex saves, double saves, brave, close range blocks, so far out weighs his perceived flaws, which seemingly boils down to 'can't save worldies', I'm amazed he even raises an eyebrow in criticism.

Yet we've had 3 seasons of struggling to give Ryan a 2 goal lead to defend and it's still his fault a game ends 1-1. :shrug:

Yep, agree. I also prioritise keepers attributes. As in, if he can catch, pull of amazing shot stoppers, good communicator etc then I really don’t care if the kick out isn’t like some surgical strike which Kuipers always used to get criticised for too. Bleedin hell, we ain’t in the market for Alison and the like. Ryan is bloody good and we’re lucky to have. Top man off the field too by looks of things e.g. Aussie fires donation. Nah, I’m definitely Team Ryan. I can’t see what there is to grumble about really. Arguably the last position I’d look at strengthening should the money tree blossom.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The only complete howler that l have ever seen Maty make, was a shot from distance in a pre-season friendly at the Amex, which went in through his legs. If you are going to make a big mistake, that is the kind of game to do it in!

Wasn't that one of the very first times he'd played for us? Some folk can never move beyond their first impressions unfortunately.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wasn't that one of the very first times he'd played for us? Some folk can never move beyond their first impressions unfortunately.
I think you'll find it's not the first impressions that's done for Ryan, it's the pre-first impressions that were confirmed by that one error which has him being questioned every other game.
The specter of Spence's completely impartial and balanced opinions coupled with season ticket holding Belgium family members (genuinely written not the pisstake it's become) still loom large.

The big thing about that Valencia game, which needed to be pointed out to me cos I'd forgotten, as I was also very guilty of only concentrating on the mistake, is that Ryan played really well.

He has done since, managing to clear himself of his settling in mistakes (gonna say Watford and Leicester) to become the only player who can rival Dunk for ability coupled with obvious commitment to the cause.

Those taking their negative judgment to the very edge of reason would crumple into a heap if that degree of spotlight was turned onto themselves.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think you'll find it's not the first impressions that's done for Ryan, it's the pre-first impressions that were confirmed by that one error which has him being questioned every other game.
The specter of Spence's completely impartial and balanced opinions coupled with season ticket holding Belgium family members (genuinely written not the pisstake it's become) still loom large.

The big thing about that Valencia game, which needed to be pointed out to me cos I'd forgotten, as I was also very guilty of only concentrating on the mistake, is that Ryan played really well.

He has done since, managing to clear himself of his settling in mistakes (gonna say Watford and Leicester) to become the only player who can rival Dunk for ability coupled with obvious commitment to the cause.

Those taking their negative judgment to the very edge of reason would crumple into a heap if that degree of spotlight was turned onto themselves.

Yep, classic NSC/supporter view-affirming on limited evidence. One mistake early (in this case, so early it was a pre-season friendly just after he’d signed, with barely a noticeable rick since) in a player’s tenure and they are forever ‘not good enough’......

Good luck MacAllister and Lamptey eh ? Will probably be shitehouse by 1pm on Saturday, and for the next 3 seasons.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep, classic NSC/supporter view-affirming on limited evidence. One mistake early (in this case, so early it was a pre-season friendly just after he’d signed, with barely a noticeable rick since) in a player’s tenure and they are forever ‘not good enough’......

Good luck MacAllister and Lamptey eh ? Will probably be shitehouse by 1pm on Saturday, and for the next 3 seasons.
As much as you are 100% correct I'm nearly as sure he backed it up with a couple more league whoopsies through that August and maybe into September.

The way I almost remember his mistake v Leicester is the sort of save he'd now make in his sleep (although happy to stand corrected on that).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
As much as you are 100% correct I'm nearly as sure he backed it up with a couple more league whoopsies through that August and maybe into September.

The way I almost remember his mistake v Leicester is the sort of save he'd now make in his sleep (although happy to stand corrected on that).

Yes, Leicester away, I remember it........wasn’t great.....fact remains we’re struggling to find more than 2-3 clear mistakes in almost 3 seasons......that’s pretty bloody good in my book, and without spending a colossal amount of money we won’t do any better.....

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
I agree with the fella on the point that Maty is probably at about his level.

If you got a panel of neutral experts to rank all 20 first choice keepers in the Premier, I'd say they would put him lower mid table.

That comfortably makes him the best keeper we've ever had in my view

He's the only keeper who has done it consistently for us at the top level. From 1979 to 83 we had Moseley or Digweed - and briefly Steele. Think Ryan is streets ahead in terms of winning us points. That makes a good argument for him as our best ever.

Another way of looking at it would be to select someone who performed at the top level for another club, say Grummitt or Corrigan but imo Maty Ryan is our best ever keeper based on delivering for us when it really matters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why do so many feel the need to find fault over being happy that we have our best ever players? It’s really weird imo

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, Leicester away, I remember it........wasn’t great.....fact remains we’re struggling to find more than 2-3 clear mistakes in almost 3 seasons......that’s pretty bloody good in my book, and without spending a colossal amount of money we won’t do any better.....

And even if we do spend a colossal amount of money, we probably won't get better than him. Having said that I believe more realistic cover and better competition for his place would be prudent

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I like having a good keeper who is never going to be good enough for the absolute top. Its a good role to have a bit of consistency.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I like having a good keeper who is never going to be good enough for the absolute top. Its a good role to have a bit of consistency.

Well that’s a bit of luck because you are going to have to change your allegiance AGAIN if you want to follow a club with an absolutely top keeper. Although I think GP has a decent chance of getting one of those jobs eventually if he carries on impressing as a manager. So job done :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Well that’s a bit of luck because you are going to have to change your allegiance AGAIN if you want to follow a club with an absolutely top keeper. Although I think GP has a decent chance of getting one of those jobs eventually if he carries on impressing as a manager. So job done :lolol:

If we just survive this spring I'm fairly sure both Potter and I will be around for the next six years... maybe Ryan as well. And just because he'll never be good enough for a Barcelonaesque level club doesnt mean he cant win the Europa League with Brighton : )

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

I don’t disagree he’s the best, at least the best I’ve seen. But he still has limitations. That’s all I was saying. I’m not sure it’s criticism per se, just a recognition that he is a keeper for the level we’re currently at, and no better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here