Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would Ryan have saved that?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I rate Ryan highly.

To buy the alleged perfect keeper would cost £65m and £150k a week in wages.

Ben Foster is the only lower cost keeper out there who season after season does an exemplary job.

Ryan's a club hero … when he walks towards the NS pre match and before KO, the player is adored. I get the impression the feeling is mutual, he loves the club.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I honestly think, that he didn't see that shot from Stevens, until it was almost past him, he was unsighted.

I was directly behind the goal, Maty could have done no more, the defenders needed to close down Stevens and they didnt. 9 out of 10 times thats over the bar, shanked or blocked. Was just a very good goal not much a keeper could have done.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
That's just bollox. End of discussion

I agree with the fella on the point that Maty is probably at about his level.

If you got a panel of neutral experts to rank all 20 first choice keepers in the Premier, I'd say they would put him lower mid table.

That comfortably makes him the best keeper we've ever had in my view

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I agree with the fella on the point that Maty is probably at about his level.

If you got a panel of neutral experts to rank all 20 first choice keepers in the Premier, I'd say they would put him lower mid table.

That comfortably makes him the best keeper we've ever had in my view

If 'about his level' is regular starter for a team 15th in the premier league, regarded as best league in the world, not to mention turning out for his country in the world cup, he's doing alright isn't he!

It's the way that 'reached his level' was used as a slur that gets me. This is an unbelievably high level of football.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If 'about his level' is regular starter for a team 15th in the premier league, regarded as best league in the world, not to mention turning out for his country in the world cup, he's doing alright isn't he!

It's the way that 'reached his level' was used as a slur that gets me. This is an unbelievably high level of football.

Yes, 15th in the Premier league probably equals above 30th in the world.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I rate Ryan highly.

To buy the alleged perfect keeper would cost £65m and £150k a week in wages.

Ben Foster is the only lower cost keeper out there who season after season does an exemplary job.

Ryan's a club hero … when he walks towards the NS pre match and before KO, the player is adored. I get the impression the feeling is mutual, he loves the club.
We had a better keeper than him and let him go to Norwich for free.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I’m not sure it’s hate, just recognition that he’s a limited keeper. He makes very few obvious errors, but he rarely makes any outstanding saves you’d expect of a Premier League keeper and he doesn’t dominate his box at all. He’s just very lower Prem level, which is where we are incidentally.

Not a popular opinion but I agree - I don't think he's anything more than a bottom end Premier League goalkeeper. Which certainly isn't a bad level to be at and he's been very good for us for 3 seasons but goalkeeper is absolutely a position we should be looking to upgrade in the summer. He's not so good that he shouldn't have serious competition and I wouldn't be massively surprised if Button gets a game before the end of the season. I like him as a bloke and he's been fantastic for us overall, but I don't think there's any reason to ignore the soft goals he concedes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not a popular opinion but I agree - I don't think he's anything more than a bottom end Premier League goalkeeper. Which certainly isn't a bad level to be at and he's been very good for us for 3 seasons but goalkeeper is absolutely a position we should be looking to upgrade in the summer. He's not so good that he shouldn't have serious competition and I wouldn't be massively surprised if Button gets a game before the end of the season. I like him as a bloke and he's been fantastic for us overall, but I don't think there's any reason to ignore the soft goals he concedes.

It would cost north of £30 million to get a decent upgrade - a mid/upper table keeper if you like - on Maty (and be a bit of a gamble whether we were even upgrading at that price). Look what Chelsea spent - is he any better at over £70m ? I would think there are better ways of upgrading the squad than splashing that on replacing an already very decent keeper - another striker, attacking and defensive midfielders for example...........if there's £100m say in the transfer kitty, I don't imagine 'goalie' is anywhere near the top of the shopping list.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Believe me, put David Button between the sticks, and you will see just how good Ryan is. Though l do agree that he needs much stiffer competition for his place than from the aforementioned, and Jason Steele.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would cost north of £30 million to get a decent upgrade - a mid/upper table keeper if you like - on Maty (and be a bit of a gamble whether we were even upgrading at that price). Look what Chelsea spent - is he any better at over £70m ? I would think there are better ways of upgrading the squad than splashing that on replacing an already very decent keeper - another striker, attacking and defensive midfielders for example...........if there's £100m say in the transfer kitty, I don't imagine 'goalie' is anywhere near the top of the shopping list.

Yeah perhaps if the 10 others stopped making him work so hard, he might not make such a horrifying amount of mistakes. (doesn't make a horrifying amount of mistakes)

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Agreed. Much better ways of spending the money and upgrading the squad than on a new goalkeeper.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Unless we can unearth a Nick Pope! He was nowhere before rolling up at Burnley and developing outrageously. I wouldn't be unhappy starting next season with Ryan as first choice, he's certainly not Bong - an obvious weak link in the team. He's more than capable and worthy of being our first choice, but I don't think upgrading him would be impossible. Maybe Walton will develop in a similar way to Pope? I think he'd benefit from having a full season of our facilities and working with Ben Roberts full time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We had a better keeper than him and let him go to Norwich for free.
Debatable at best. Personally I still really rate Ryan - decent distribution, good shot stopper. He could command his area a bit better but that's why he is not at a top 6 club.

Krul was certainly a decent keeper and clearly felt he could do better than sit on the bench for a team in the lower half of the Prem - and we're not the kind of club to stand in the way of anyone's career. The minute we do that, certain potential future signings will go elsewhere in case they are caught in a contract they don't want to be in.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unless we can unearth a Nick Pope! He was nowhere before rolling up at Burnley and developing outrageously. I wouldn't be unhappy starting next season with Ryan as first choice, he's certainly not Bong - an obvious weak link in the team. He's more than capable and worthy of being our first choice, but I don't think upgrading him would be impossible. Maybe Walton will develop in a similar way to Pope? I think he'd benefit from having a full season of our facilities and working with Ben Roberts full time.

Suspect the club plan is very much 'growing our own' - Walton must figure in plans at some point otherwise he'd have been sold on by now, but unless he's better than Maty he's not going to play, and sitting on the bench won't improve him - so out on loan he stays. Longer term Sanchez looks like being a strong candidate. Can easily see Maty here for another 2-3 seasons if he's happy, with perhaps Walton returning ready to take over during that period.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Agreed.

Ninja has had a downer on every Albion keeper since Kuipers though, simply for not being Michel Kuipers.

FWIW, I think Maty is a pretty good keeper - every bit good enough to be our first choice. Personally I'd rate him and Foster as the best two, in the bottom half of the PL.

Everton - Pickford - massively over-rated. Erratic in his decision making. Occassional real howlers
Saints - McCarthy - decent on crosses (helps that he's a giant - prone to soft goals. Distribution poor
Palace - Guaita - capable of real worldies and utter calamities (in the same game). Quite literally 'threw one in' against Sheffield United last week
Newcastle - Dubrvaka - as Guaita - real mix. Incredible on his day, though.
Brighton - Maty Ryan - dependable, comfortable with his feet, great one on one, good reflexes, brave as a lion. Short on full length worldies - reflected in some attitudes.
Bournemouth - Ramsdale - good potential. Bit early to judge. Shits himself every back-pass, which affect how they can play.
Villa - Reina - always been a reasonable reflex shot-stopper. Erratic decision making, defenders don't ever know what he'll do with crosses, etc.
West Ham - Fabianski - capable of occasional greatness. Made more errors last night, than Ryan's made in a season
Watford - Foster - no argument - great keeper. Should still be starting for England.
Norwich - Krul - good keeper, good bloke. Not as reliable as Maty, and can't be trusted with the ball. Will make some really incredible saves though.

I still believe we need another though - Walton possibly, or a signing - because every single player should have genuine competition for their place. He currently doesn't have that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Negative Nerys' seem to be forgetting that very quietly the club have seemingly recruited every goalkeeper under the age of 25.

As well as every keeper in the England yoof set up.

I very much doubt the club has any intention of spending more than £10k on a keeper for the next 20 years.

This is what the 08:52 to Lancing looks like when the squad reassembles in July.

maxresdefault.jpg

Full backs, midfielders, wingers and strikers have to get the 09:03.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Agreed.

Ninja has had a downer on every Albion keeper since Kuipers though, simply for not being Michel Kuipers.

FWIW, I think Maty is a pretty good keeper - every bit good enough to be our first choice. Personally I'd rate him and Foster as the best two, in the bottom half of the PL.

Everton - Pickford - massively over-rated. Erratic in his decision making. Occassional real howlers
Saints - McCarthy - decent on crosses (helps that he's a giant - prone to soft goals. Distribution poor
Palace - Guaita - capable of real worldies and utter calamities (in the same game). Quite literally 'threw one in' against Sheffield United last week
Newcastle - Dubrvaka - as Guaita - real mix. Incredible on his day, though.
Brighton - Maty Ryan - dependable, comfortable with his feet, great one on one, good reflexes, brave as a lion. Short on full length worldies - reflected in some attitudes.
Bournemouth - Ramsdale - good potential. Bit early to judge. Shits himself every back-pass, which affect how they can play.
Villa - Reina - always been a reasonable reflex shot-stopper. Erratic decision making, defenders don't ever know what he'll do with crosses, etc.
West Ham - Fabianski - capable of occasional greatness. Made more errors last night, than Ryan's made in a season
Watford - Foster - no argument - great keeper. Should still be starting for England.
Norwich - Krul - good keeper, good bloke. Not as reliable as Maty, and can't be trusted with the ball. Will make some really incredible saves though.

I still believe we need another though - Walton possibly, or a signing - because every single player should have genuine competition for their place. He currently doesn't have that.

Good summary - personally wouldn't swap Maty for any of the above (particularly adding 'brilliant club man' to his keeping). Of the rest, Allison, Schmeichel, Ederson, Rui Patricio and Lloris all arguably better (and all probably worth £50m+) . Not sure about De Gea any more, has made several mistakes and Kepa has been woefully out of form. Maty is easily in the top half of keepers in the division for me - can't say the same about some of the rest of the squad.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good summary - personally wouldn't swap Maty for any of the above (particularly adding 'brilliant club man' to his keeping). Of the rest, Allison, Schmeichel, Ederson, Rui Patricio and Lloris all arguably better (and all probably worth £50m+) . Not sure about De Gea any more, has made several mistakes and Kepa has been woefully out of form. Maty is easily in the top half of keepers in the division for me - can't say the same about some of the rest of the squad.

Leno at Arsenal is their first solid goalie for a very long time (even Cech was well past his best at Arsenal, not helped by playing behind an error strewn defence).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Maty should be out of the team with immediate effect. He's a good goalkeeper and, to be fair, HKFC's comparison with the other 1st choice goalkeepers adds good context. I agree it's a low priority position but I also think that the general criticism of him is reasonable. I don't feel overly confident that we're going to keep many clean sheets, but the stats don't lie - we're not the worst defensively by any means.

To a certain extent, we're spoilt now by the players we're discussing. It's easy to forget that this squad is the best we've ever had and even comparing Maty Ryan with the likes of Casper Ankergren, Tomas Kuszczak and David Stockdale - all good goalkeepers in their time with us, but none of them are up to Ryan's overall standard.

I do find it hard to word a criticism of an obviously good player, but one I think we could potentially improve upon with good scouting and a huge slice of luck. I don't doubt for a moment that we could spend £20m and get a worse version of him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here